shape
carat
color
clarity

Diamond and setting pricing question

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

titans

Rough_Rock
I was just wondering what peoples thoughts where on the pricing of the diamond compared to the setting.

The diamond I found is a 1.05 H si1, from WF, priced at around $4,500 ( which I feel is very fair)

The setting has an additional .7 cts and is a priced at around $1,900 also from WF. Most of the settings I am seeing that are similiar or exactly the same as this one range from $900-$1300. Do you feel I should not spend as much money on the setting and try to find a better or bigger diamond? Or do you think I should keep this diamond and try getting the setting elsewhere. Does it make sense to get a setting that cost almost $2,000.

My budget was around 6,000, but I am going to go about 400 over, which is not a big deal, but I dont know if it is smart spending almost $600 more on setting because its from WF.

Thanks

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/7/2009 9:13:15 AM
Author:titans
I was just wondering what peoples thoughts where on the pricing of the diamond compared to the setting.

The diamond I found is a 1.05 H si1, from WF, priced at around $4,500 ( which I feel is very fair)

The setting has an additional .7 cts and is a priced at around $1,900 also from WF. Most of the settings I am seeing that are similiar or exactly the same as this one range from $900-$1300. Do you feel I should not spend as much money on the setting and try to find a better or bigger diamond? Or do you think I should keep this diamond and try getting the setting elsewhere. Does it make sense to get a setting that cost almost $2,000.

My budget was around 6,000, but I am going to go about 400 over, which is not a big deal, but I dont know if it is smart spending almost $600 more on setting because its from WF.

Thanks
One note, you need to know/make sure that the diamonds in other settings you are comparing are the same quality as the WF setting. My guess is, they wouldn't be (would be less). And that will raise the price some.
28.gif

There is no rule on the spending ratio of stone to setting. Just get what you like, what you think looks nicest, and what you can afford!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/7/2009 9:16:53 AM
Author: Ellen

Date: 2/7/2009 9:13:15 AM
Author:titans

Thanks
One note, you need to know/make sure that the diamonds in other settings you are comparing are the same quality as the WF setting. My guess is, they wouldn''t be (would be less). And that will raise the price some.
28.gif

There is no rule on the spending ratio of stone to setting. Just get what you like, what you think looks nicest, and what you can afford!
Ditto.

titans

Rough_Rock
Thanks, Your right.

I know the quality that WF will be using will be better then what I am getting in other places. I guess for me its hard to see the exact same thing with two different prices, but i guess they really arent the same thing. For few extra hundred dollars its probally worth getting the better setting.

I guess thats why the local jewelers are so quick to slash a price in half, becuase the dimaonds that are used on the settings arent that great.

One of the guys who was going to get me the setting was going to use G color diamonds and he wanted 1,300 for it, Im pretty sure WF uses F vs2''s that are all excellent cut.

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I see people who have shopped the diamond price to perfection and then ruin the deal with a poorly fabricated mounting. Buying a high quality mounting is the "sizzle" of the fine steak dinner, but more folks have disappointment with the bargain mounting than the main diamond. I wouldn''t be too concerned over the ratio of costs.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/7/2009 9:27:30 AM
Author: titans
Thanks, Your right.

I know the quality that WF will be using will be better then what I am getting in other places. I guess for me its hard to see the exact same thing with two different prices, but i guess they really arent the same thing. For few extra hundred dollars its probally worth getting the better setting.

I guess thats why the local jewelers are so quick to slash a price in half, becuase the dimaonds that are used on the settings arent that great.

One of the guys who was going to get me the setting was going to use G color diamonds and he wanted 1,300 for it, Im pretty sure WF uses F vs2''s that are all excellent cut.
Considering the big picture, I think so.
2.gif

More than the color/clarity, I think the Cut of the diamonds WF will use will be the real (and beautiful) difference!

And ditto Dave too.

rock_solid

Rough_Rock
In my opinion I would save the money and go with the setting that contains side stones that more closely matches the color of your center stone. If your sides are 2-3 grades whiter than your center it could make that near colorless center feel out of place and less of a quality diamond. In your case it may not be wise to pay the extra money for a setting that includes whiter than your center stone diamonds.

titans

Rough_Rock
I thought you could go two or three colors either way without noticing a difference?

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/7/2009 12:53:21 PM
I thought you could go two or three colors either way without noticing a difference?
Yes you can, the general advice is to stick to 2 colour grades difference or less between centre and side stones ( assuming AGS/ GIA colour grade).

coatimundi_org

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/7/2009 12:53:21 PM

You can, as your stone will likely face up colorless.

Some want to spend more $$ on the stone, and much less on the mounting. I put a bit more into the mounting, because I need a certain level of quality. Ditto David on high quality mountings.

titans

Rough_Rock
Thanks everyone for the advice,
I think I am just getting nervous because I am planning to make final decision on either monday or tuesday, and I just want to make sure that I am doing everything right.

I also asked how high the setting would sit off the finger, and I was told 6.6, I think its going to be too high, but WF said that if I got it and didnt like it I have 10 days to send it back, so I think that might be my first plan before I have them lower it.

Does anyone also think that will be too high of the finger?

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
Which setting are you considering from WF. Maybe someone already has that one and can post a photo to see the height. WF's settings are nicely made and the side stone are very sparkly and consistent. What you don't want are side stones that don't match or are set unevenly where some are tilted.

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Its hard to go wrong with a whiteflash setting. Their work is excellent. Having recently had a ring damaged by what I thought to be a excellent jeweler locally, I
would go for a whiteflash setting, or have a designer setting sent to them for mounting.

titans

Rough_Rock
It was the WF amphora setting

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
That''s a lovely setting. It''s one of their newer ones so I don''t think there are any photos of it on PS but it''s got nice proportions and I don''t think would be too high. It will look quite nice with a 1 ct stone!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results