shape
carat
color
clarity

Diamond and emerald ring with symbol

creektrails

Rough_Rock
I inherited this ring from my step grand mother and recently had it valued. The appraiser didn't mention the symbol inside the ring and I was wondering if anyone recognized it. I know that she used to visit central America some and that the ring is probably at least 50 years old, other than that I don't know anything about the ring. Thanks 2018-08-09 01.52.25.000.jpg 2018-08-09 01.41.34.000.jpg

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What did the appraiser's report say?

What do the marks in the ring say / look like?

Have you looked up lists of hallmarks?

creektrails

Rough_Rock
the second picture is all that I have to go on. It is some sort of marking that might look like a snake. If you blow up the pic you can see. I've looked up hallmarks but cannot find this one.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So what did the appraiser say? Did they literally just give you a number?

creektrails

Rough_Rock
He asked if I knew the history and then he measured and photographed and then yes, just gave me a number. I didn't know if the origin of the ring would affect the value so I didn't think about the symbol on it until later. The appraisal cost $130.00 from an accredited appraiser so I didn't ask many questions at the time.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So for $130 he just gave you a piece of paper with a header on it, the dimensions, some photos and a value?

I find it hard to understand how anyone could value something correctly without describing in detail the shank material, overall weight, estimated weight of the component parts, details of the component parts, a description of all the identifying stampings/marks, etc...!

Perhaps @oldminer or @denverappraiser might be able to advise what a good appraisal should cover - I've not had one myself but, as above, it just seems that you have something very light on detail.

creektrails

Rough_Rock
Actually his appraisal was very detailed as far as sizes and weights. It seemed very professional. My only question was about the symbol on the 2nd picture. I think since he didn't know anything about it that he just failed to mention it. Could the symbol have a bearing on the value? I'm very ignorant when it comes to quality jewelry. An earlier appraisal from 35 years ago valued the ring at around $6000.00 but this early one was also done after she passed. So he didn't include any info on the symbol either. This time the ring was valued at around $9,500.00 and I am interested in selling it but am just trying to find out if there is more to the rings history that would affect the value.
thanks (keeping in mind that these are insurance value appraisals)

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That is better news, then.

I'm surprised he didn't mention it - perhaps it was too much research to find the exact hallmark or makers mark. I guess there could be hundreds of makers out there, and if it's not a famous/expensive one, it doesn't add anything to the value or valuation description.

You could see if the apparently all-seeing Google 'AI' image search pulls up something similar?

Yoram at www.gemconcepts.net might be interested in it if the centre is Emerald - his instagram has plenty of photos of emeralds, and he seems to like the old material a lot!
https://www.instagram.com/gemconcepts/

creektrails

Rough_Rock
Ok, thanks. I tried the image search and it didn't seem to work. But here is a closeup, I'll try to contact Yoram. 2018-08-09 01.41.34.000.jpg

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it will be a struggle to find details on the hallmarks/stampings because there are so many out there and there is not a central register, but Yoram may at least be able to discuss the emerald :)

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
That's almost certainly the brand mark of whoever made the ring. Yes, the manufacturer can be an important value issue but it is quite common to have unknown and unrecognized marks. Theoretically, every jeweler anywhere should have one. Most do not have a significant effect on value. They probably should have mentioned it was there, and that they tried to identify it, but this is not an unusual situation. FWIW, I don't recognize this one and although I'm not going to take the time to research it, it's entirely possible I would fail even if I did.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That's almost certainly the brand mark of whoever made the ring. Yes, the manufacturer can be an important value issue but it is quite common to have unknown and unrecognized marks. Theoretically, every jeweler anywhere should have one. Most do not have a significant effect on value. They probably should have mentioned it was there, and that they tried to identify it, but this is not an unusual situation. FWIW, I don't recognize this one and although I'm not going to take the time to research it, it's entirely possible I would fail even if I did.
Thank you for your kind assistance, Neil :))

creektrails

Rough_Rock

Thanks, I am going to ask some relatives if they know any more about the origin of the ring. i would really like to know its origin if not for value perhaps for nostalgia sake.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results