shape
carat
color
clarity

Diamond Advice

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

mc2912

Rough_Rock
Hi,

i could have never imagined that looking for an engagement ring would be this hard. My GF does not want anything in specific just a princess cut. i have been searching websites and Pricescope for some time now and i feel more informed but more confused since there are more things that i should be looking at!! I want the perfect diamond (for my budget 7000-8000) i was looking for a 1ct princess cut, e-f, vvs1-vvs2. as i have looked and i found two (the second does not meet my initial specs) that i like with a $2700 price difference!!

these are the two that i have found

1st:
http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/2771/
Shape: Princess
Carat Weight: 1.07ct
Color: F
Clarity: VVS1
Polish: Excellent
Symmetry: Very Good
Fluorescence: Negligible
Girdle: 3.60%
Lab Report: GIA
Lab Report #: 15643180
In House: Yes
Width: 5.66mm
Length: 5.69mm
Depth: 3.96mm
Table Percentage: 66.96%
Depth Percentage: 69.93%
Crown Depth: 10.84%
Pavilion Depth: 54.57%

$7541

2nd:

http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/2752/
Shape: Princess
Carat Weight: 1.004ct
Color: H
Clarity: VS2
AGS Cut Grade: Ideal
Polish: Ideal
Symmetry: Ideal
Fluorescence: Negligible
Girdle: 2.77%
Lab Report: AGS
Lab Report #: 7885006
In House: Yes
Width: 5.40mm
Length: 5.42mm
Depth: 4.06mm
Table Percentage: 69.40%
Depth Percentage: 75.08%
Crown Depth: 12.30%
Pavilion Depth: 59.33%

$4804

once i saw how subtle the differences between F and an H, and a VVS1 and VS2 (need a microscope to see them), it is hard to spend the extra $2700. The second being AGS0. both are from GoG so they are from a very reputable dealer. Since my GF does not want anything in specific should i go below the standards that i had set? any input would greatly help me... what can i expect to see if i saw them in person?

dani13

Ideal_Rock
Hi there:

Many times when we are shopping for something, we change our minds based on what we see, or in this case, what we dont see...Do you really want to pay for VVS1 clarity when most people can't see a difference between that and a VS1? Only you can decide what is important to you and what you feel comfortable paying for...I know for me, VVS1 would be overkill...some would not agree...its very subjective.

The AGS0 looks nice, you can be sure it is a good performer, and that is a very big price difference betwen the 2 stones, ya know? I dont know a ton about princess cuts, but I am sure you can't lose with either of those diamonds....

Good luck!!

bosoxbw

Rough_Rock
I'm no expert, but I would not pay the color/clarity premium for the first stone. The second stone looks very nice, and in a 1 ct stone the H color would not bother me, although if you have not seen an H stone in person you may notice the warmth from some angles if you are color sensitive. If you are going to buy the stone without seeing it first, I would wait to see if you can find and AGS0 G/VS2 stone.

This 1.017ct G/VS2 ACA Princess from whiteflash looks nice, I think (experts feel free to disagree).
http://whiteflash.com/aca_princess/A-Cut-Above-Princess-cut-diamond-174064.htm

mc2912

Rough_Rock
That is the exact word that i was thinking about "Overkill" i think that i may save us some money and go for the second stone or something like that... or the Whiteflash one.

Emeraldfan

Shiny_Rock
I vote for the first one. I bought a radiant and did some looking at pricess cuts as well. The 2nd one bothers me because the depth is so high. It will appear smaller than stone #1.

mc2912

Rough_Rock
... you say that depth is too high... would this affect it being rated as and AGS0 diamond? or is the depth not taken into consideration when AGS grades the diamond?

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
look at spread, not depth. don''t worry about it.

mc2912

Rough_Rock
Well thanks for the advice..... i went with the second one !!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results