shape
carat
color
clarity

Diamond Advice

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

RingSeeker

Rough_Rock
I would like to maximize the carat size for the $$, spending from 5-8k.

I''ve been trying to list my ring options, so far this is what I have come up with:
1- Purchase an existing antique ring
2- Construct a new ring outside of the USA to avoid sales taxes and take advantage of the exchange rate.

So far I have not found an antique that catches my eye...

I''m considering purchasing outside of the US. Can anyone recomend any specific vendors?

To also maiximize my $$ I realize that the lower the quality, the larger carat for the price. Can anyone tell me the lowest grade that is still beautiful to the naked eye? ...and if there is such a dividing line is there a way to factor color and clarity into this equation?

Thank you for your time!

RingSeeker

DiamondOptics

Shiny_Rock
Hi RingSeeker,

In terms of maxing out on color and clarity in diamonds,
I would personally reccomend, J-Si2, as the limits of the popular range. Some people may go past that point, but
if you consider that the vast majority purchase from,
D-J, and from FL-Si2, I would suggest working in that range to achieve a popular maximization of quality.

You may even consider going with 10k for the setting also
if every dollar counts.

Kirk

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
You won't buy better outside the USA in most circumstances. Sales taxes are readily avoided here, so I am not sure what your motivation might be. Are you living outside the USA?

I'd say that in old cut diamonds they can look very decently white down to the L range in color sometimes. It depends on how they are set and the lighting. Also, how the mounting and their cut hides the body color. Clarity down to SI1 is generally a "safe" way to go.

Maybe that will help you search.

Giangi

Ideal_Rock
I would consider a nice clean I 1 (or SI 3
2.gif
)... Often inclusions aren't that visible and are lost in the sparkle...

Giangi

Architect

Rough_Rock
Ringseeker,
If you are purchasing online, I would suggest NOT going with anything lower than an SI1 for clarity, especially for an engagement ring. There are far too many SI2's that just don't seem to cut it when it comes to really being an SI2 and eye-clean. Without being able to see the diamond before you buy, make sure to stick to SI1 or better so that you know you will be getting a diamond that does not have any visible inclusions...why spend money on a diamond if you can't be sure it will be eye-clean when you get it. There are a lot of people that say SI2 is a good diamond clarity to get, but there are stones that can be SI2/I1 borderline and will get an I1 clarity depending on what lab graded the diamond.

RingSeeker

Rough_Rock
Thank you for your help!!

RingSeeker

Rough_Rock
Thank you Architect!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results