Diamond Advice

supermsp

Rough_Rock
Here's the actual image

6210296_-_actual.jpg

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium
No number under 2 on the HCA is better than any other. The WF stone is their patented "a cut above" brand, a super ideal cut. I like that one, cuz I'm a sucker for smaller tables. Plus it's marginally larger. And it's AGS0, and ACA.

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow. Thats one of the best, if not the best, 40.6/36.0 I have ever seen in regards to light leakage. nice arrows and overall appearance as well.
It is a D. It is a VVS2. Overkill, and I love it.

Tough pick betwern these two.

supermsp

Rough_Rock
I know both are so great, I don't know if I should just save money and take b2c because it's also above in color and clarity grades. It's not part of their perfection cut diamonds but in the images it looks perfect. What's strange is the GIA report was from 2014, should I be concerned?

Attachments

• 2176623004.pdf
    687.4 KB · Views: 58

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wouldn't be concerned with a 2014 report - from what I can tell from the forum, colourless VS+ stones seem to be less in favour recently than lower colour and clarity stones, due to the fact that the latter means more carat for the budget, so the higher colour/clarity stuff isn't selling as quickly.

Either of those would look great, I think, the ASET/IdealScope pics are great on the B2C one. That one isn't cut to quite the tolerances of the ACA one, which is why it's a little cheaper - you aren't paying for the additional cutting time needed to ensure the increased cutting accuracy, or the 'branding', or the Upgrade policies (check out the details fully on the website).

Personally speaking, I am attracted to the SuperIdeal stones so the WF one would be calling me in that regard. VS1 upwards will be eyeclean without a loupe, so don't worry about that, and F will look near-as-dammit the same as D, so no worries there either.

That said...

The B2C one is a D. And it's VVS2. And it looks great. And will look outstanding on its own, regardless of whether its next to an ACA or other SuperIdeal stone at any point. And it's cheaper (by a substantial amount)...

Although I purchased a SuperIdeal when I bought for my good lady, and would do so again in a heartbeat, I think in this case I would spring for the B2C stone - partly for D/VVS2 bragging rights :???: :lol: and partly because it's cheaper yet larger by a smidge. You might have slightly less fire due to the larger table, but 58% is still well within excellent performance specs.

If you have the credit line, and assuming both vendors have a return period, the best option might be to buy both and compare them - then you can see the difference between precision cutting and great cutting.

Either way, whichever you get, you will be a winner! :sun:

ETA: And if you get the B2C stone, there's nothing to stop you putting the $1k you've saved towards a re-cut to SuperIdeal AGS000 proportions by one of the PS vendors, at the expense of a likely very small amount of weight... ;-)

supermsp

Rough_Rock
I noticed a feather inclusion on the whiteflash diamond when watching the video on the top of the diamond as it is spinning, it seems like it's close to the surface. I read somewhere if a feather is close to the surface then it could cause a crack/structural problem, is that true?

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I can't get the videos to work on this computer :roll: but I think I'm correct in saying that a feather is only an issue if near the girdle or the culet, the areas where pressure may be applied during setting.

It will be a tiny feather in VS1, though, so I don't believe it would cause any structural issues.

Hopefully one of the experts / appraisers on here can post a comment regarding feathers / location / size / durability in general - the PS-recommended vendors are unable to comment on specific stones from specific sellers, so hopefully a more over-arching comment would be permissible :)

supermsp

Rough_Rock
Gypsy any advice?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If I were going for high color and clarity, I would also be going for the best cut stone, as well. I would definitely choose the Whiteflash diamond! There are no clarity concerns with VS1 and higher.

supermsp

Rough_Rock
I talked to the whiteflash rep and she said the feather will not be an issue with the structure since it's a small feather. It was just a little concerning being on the griddle. I think I'm going with whiteflash because of the dimensions.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think you'll like whichever you choose from the two :)

John P

Ideal_Rock
Trade
OoohShiny|1465519353|4042433 said:
I can't get the videos to work on this computer :roll: but I think I'm correct in saying that a feather is only an issue if near the girdle or the culet, the areas where pressure may be applied during setting.

It will be a tiny feather in VS1, though, so I don't believe it would cause any structural issues.

Hopefully one of the experts / appraisers on here can post a comment regarding feathers / location / size / durability in general - the PS-recommended vendors are unable to comment on specific stones from specific sellers, so hopefully a more over-arching comment would be permissible :)
A feather is one of the most common natural inclusions. It is a fissure inside a diamond, often caused by a crystal within that expanded millions of years ago when it formed, or any space that exists between two parallel planes in the diamond.

A VS1 feather will not be any kind of issue in a GIA or AGSL graded diamond. Most SI feathers are no problem either. Why? Because diamonds are sawed, bruted and polished in the manufacturing process. They undergo so much pressure and friction that they actually turn white-hot on the polishing wheel. Normal wear will never bring that little beauty close to what it has already been through. If graders see any characteristic in the diamond they judge to pose a possible durability risk it will be dropped to I1,I2 or I3.

With that said, there's a reason "chipping" gets mentioned: Every diamond has natural cleavage planes. A knock the wrong way can cause any diamond to chip or incur damage, even if with a clarity grade of Flawless. That's why insurance is a good idea for any diamond you wear normally, just as it is for your car.

I always advise getting assurance from an expert with the diamond in-hand, of course, but VS feathers are typically as cool as the other side of the pillow =)

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
John Pollard|1465589153|4042766 said:
OoohShiny|1465519353|4042433 said:

A feather is one of the most common natural inclusions. It is a fissure inside a diamond, often caused by a crystal within that expanded millions of years ago when it formed, or any space that exists between two parallel planes in the diamond.

A VS1 feather will not be any kind of issue in a GIA or AGSL graded diamond. Most SI feathers are no problem either. Why? Because diamonds are sawed, bruted and polished in the manufacturing process. They undergo so much pressure and friction that they actually turn white-hot on the polishing wheel. Normal wear will never bring that little beauty close to what it has already been through. If graders see any characteristic in the diamond they judge to pose a possible durability risk it will be dropped to I1,I2 or I3.

With that said, there's a reason "chipping" gets mentioned: Every diamond has natural cleavage planes. A knock the wrong way can cause any diamond to chip or incur damage, even if with a clarity grade of Flawless. That's why insurance is a good idea for any diamond you wear normally, just as it is for your car.

I always advise getting assurance from an expert with the diamond in-hand, of course, but VS feathers are typically as cool as the other side of the pillow =)

Thanks for taking the time to reply, Sir Pollard, much appreciated! :)) 8-)

In my mind, cleavage planes are like the grain of a piece of wood - easier to cut 'with the grain' than 'against the grain'!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results