shape
carat
color
clarity

Diamond advice

Silvestre

Rough_Rock
Hi guys,

I have been reading the forum and managed to pick up really useful advice.

I have decided to take the plunge and pick a diamond which I think meets the recommended range. I know the advice is never to buy blind. However, BN seem to be the cheapest for the diamond that I am after, a c50 pointer. For cultural reasons the diamond has to be E or better and VVS2 or better. My thinking is to get the diamond based on fundamentals, inspect it when it arrives, get it reviewed and if it doesn't stack up re: idealscope etc to return it.

I was wondering if you guys would be kind enough and give me your thoughts on the diamond I have shortlisted (http://www.bluenile.com/certs/2186496359.pdf?params=Y291bnRyeT1DQU4mcHJvZHVjdD1CTkNBJnBob25lPTg4OC01NjUtNzYwOSZsaW5rPWh0dHAlM0ElMkYlMkZ3d3cuYmx1ZW5pbGUuY29tJTJGY2ElMkZfTEQwNTA5ODY1MSZjdXJyZW5jeT1DQUQmbGFiPWdpYSZza3U9TEQwNTA5ODY1MSY%3D)

Should I be concerned about the Clarity Characteristics (i.e. Pinpoint, Needle, Cloud, Indented Natural)?

Thanks a lot for your help!

Silvestre

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You should not have any problems with the clarity items mentioned. It will be difficult to find anything with 10x.
The stone has good numbers. I think it's worth having brought in and having BN take a look at it for you. See if
they can send you pictures.

psywzrd

Rough_Rock
FYI, this diamond scores a 2 using the HCA tool. Not that HCA means everything, but a score under 2 is desirable. Doesn't mean this isn't a beautiful diamond though.

Silvestre

Rough_Rock
Thank you both.

psywzrd - I was under the impression that the HCA score was 0.8? This is the result that I got:

Selected: 61.7% depth, 55% table, 35° crown angle, 40.6° pavilion angle
The result is for a symmetrical diamond with a medium girdle and very good polish

Light Return: Excellent
Fire: Excellent
Scintillation: Excellent
Spread: Very Good
Total Visual: 0.8 - Excellent
Performance: within TIC range

The selection criteria is spot on except for the polish which is meant to be excellent rather than very good.

Based on what I have read, I am beginning to wonder how much reliance I can actually place on the GIA certificate as I seem to be reading that GIA appear to have a "less strict" range for the excellent grades.

I am left in two minds whether the diamond will look good or not :confused:

Don't know if it makes any difference or not but I am thinking of having it set in this (http://www.bluenile.com/build-your-own-ring/hand-engraved-diamond-ring-platinum_17374) and a matching wedding band! :think:

Apologies for questions that may seem very obvious, a total newbie here!

everstone

Rough_Rock
Silvestre|1450475462|3963208 said:
Thank you both.

psywzrd - I was under the impression that the HCA score was 0.8? This is the result that I got:

Selected: 61.7% depth, 55% table, 35° crown angle, 40.6° pavilion angle
The result is for a symmetrical diamond with a medium girdle and very good polish

Light Return: Excellent
Fire: Excellent
Scintillation: Excellent
Spread: Very Good
Total Visual: 0.8 - Excellent
Performance: within TIC range

The selection criteria is spot on except for the polish which is meant to be excellent rather than very good.

Based on what I have read, I am beginning to wonder how much reliance I can actually place on the GIA certificate as I seem to be reading that GIA appear to have a "less strict" range for the excellent grades.

I am left in two minds whether the diamond will look good or not :think:

Apologies for questions that may seem very obvious, a total newbie here!

You've been reading that AGS cut grades have a slightly narrower standards than GIA. It's true. However, to say you can't place reliance on a GIA certificate is a little absurd. GIA is a great lab and if you ask anyone they definitely can be trusted. One thing you might want to consider doing is comparing the proportions in a table to see if that GIA excellent falls within the AGS ideal range.

My GIA triple ex (GIA cert) is also in the AGS0 Ideal Range, so there's about a 50/50 chance yours does too.

Silvestre

Rough_Rock
everstone|1450476367|3963215 said:
You've been reading that AGS cut grades have a slightly narrower standards than GIA. It's true. However, to say you can't place reliance on a GIA certificate is a little absurd. GIA is a great lab and if you ask anyone they definitely can be trusted. One thing you might want to consider doing is comparing the proportions in a table to see if that GIA excellent falls within the AGS ideal range.

My GIA triple ex (GIA cert) is also in the AGS0 Ideal Range, so there's about a 50/50 chance yours does too.

Thank you everstone.

Would you able to point me in the right direction on how I might be able to do the comparison? Is this (https://www.americangemsociety.org/uploads/85481435071929.pdf) what you have in mind?

everstone

Rough_Rock
Silvestre|1450479470|3963242 said:
Thank you everstone.

Would you able to point me in the right direction on how I might be able to do the comparison? Is this (https://www.americangemsociety.org/uploads/85481435071929.pdf) what you have in mind?

Yeah. First, check the specs using this link to confirm that the proportions match the reported Cut grade: http://www.diamondcut.gia.edu/pdfs/booklet_cut_estimation_tables_lowres.pdf

Then you can go to the AGS link you provided above and see whether it falls within Ideal or Excellent.

Be warned, this isn't perfect. For example in some cases an AGS Ideal might be considered GIA Very Good. But I would say if both are at the highest rank, you're in a safe and sweet spot, and you're gold.

Silvestre

Rough_Rock
Not sure what star length (55%) means but based on the GIA certificate and the dimensions of the diamond, the diamond appears to be an Excellent cut according to the GIA cut estimation.

Also the AGS estimation seems to have it down as an ideal cut! :dance:

Now, I can only hope that 1) the diamond actually looks good in real life 2) the diamond and the setting complement each other well and 3) the missus likes the diamond, the setting and the matching band!! :confused: Otherwise :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall:

Did anyone have comments on the setting? Particularly interested in the views of the professionals out there - do you think it is a timeless classic piece? :think:

At times like these, I hate being a bloke... but I am guessing I would rather have this than give birth :shifty:

Silvestre

Rough_Rock
Not sure, why.

It is the hand engraved micropave engagement ring (in platinum) and the matching wedding band 7f464eb3bf33b3563a53140c7e19ea14.jpg hand-engraved-micropav_-diamond-engagement-ring-in-14k-white-gold.jpg 17374_17393_main_stacker__2_.jpg ab03502400_main__1_.jpg zoom-1549833676-1.jpg

Silvestre

Rough_Rock
everstone|1450483434|3963270 said:
I think it's very elegant. You can't go wrong with that.

Thanks

Hope the missus thinks the same. It is a slightly risky purchase as she wanted something else but I couldn't find a decent equivalent one of what she wanted... :pray:

metooplease

Rough_Rock
Your sentence about giving birth made me spew my tea ::)

Thank you for the smile today!

What setting did she want?

(No help here, but good luck, the setting is truly lovely)

Silvestre

Rough_Rock
:angel: bit worried I might get a bashing from some of the ladies for saying it... :silenced:

think she is set on a "bridal set". I am hoping with the matching band this ticks that box.

I think one of her cousin has something like this and she wanted something similar. I couldn't find something decent like this so taking a risk with this, she has seen it and thinks its ok but really hoping that she will fall in love with it when she actually sees it otherwise it is going straight back and she can get her own ring!! :errrr:

img_1843_0.jpg img_1842_0.jpg

Otherwise a very specific halo, so specific that I don't even know what it's called and haven't been able to find it online.

Silvestre

Rough_Rock
I had an unusual request to ask you helpful forumites, can anyone recommend a matching wedding band for me (guy) preferably in a two-tone?

Thanks

Silvestre

Rough_Rock
So, I decided to bite the bullet and just go for it!

GIA certified Diamond (http://www.bluenile.com/certs/2186496359.pdf?params=Y291bnRyeT1DQU4mcHJvZHVjdD1CTkNBJnBob25lPTg4OC01NjUtNzYwOSZsaW5rPWh0dHAlM0ElMkYlMkZ3d3cuYmx1ZW5pbGUuY29tJTJGY2ElMkZfTEQwNTA5ODY1MSZjdXJyZW5jeT1DQUQmbGFiPWdpYSZza3U9TEQwNTA5ODY1MSY%3D)

0.53 EVVS2 BIC
Depth: 61.7%
Table: 55%
Polish: Excellent
Symmetry: Excellent
Girdle: Medium
Culet: None
Fluorescence: None
Measurements: 5.20 x 5.24 x 3.22 mm
Crown angle: 35.0
Pavilion angle: 40.6

Damage: $1,750

Setting

Hand engraved micropave engagement ring (in platinum) (http://www.bluenile.com/build-your-own-ring/hand-engraved-diamond-ring-platinum_17374)

Damage: $1,415

Wedding band

Matching wedding band (in platinum)

Damage: $1,055

Taxes and duty: $720

Total damage: $4,940 ;( ;(

Now that I have actually paid for it, beginning to wonder if I have overpaid and what if she doesn't like it!! :errrr: :confused: :wall: :eh:

Silvestre

PS: I know it isn't as big a purchase as some of the other purchases made on this forum (i.e. the 5 carats +)

Silvestre

Rough_Rock
Quick update to say thank you.

The missus to be absolutely loves her ring. Phewwwww!

The diamond seems to be doing what it is supposed to do, sparkle! However, I have noticed the most unusual thing, I seem to be able to notice the sparkle a lot more in low light conditions than say normal lighting - is that weird/unusual/something to worry about?

Thanks a million!

Silvestre

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Silvestre|1450483905|3963271 said:
Not sure, why.

It is the hand engraved micropave engagement ring (in platinum) and the matching wedding band 7f464eb3bf33b3563a53140c7e19ea14.jpg hand-engraved-micropav_-diamond-engagement-ring-in-14k-white-gold.jpg 17374_17393_main_stacker__2_.jpg ab03502400_main__1_.jpg zoom-1549833676-1.jpg

I like these. A lot.

Silvestre

Rough_Rock
Thanks, Gypsy!

I don't think I would have been able to get the right diamond and setting at the price I did without immense contributions to this forum from people like you. :D

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results