shape
carat
color
clarity

Diamond advice for a friend!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

bling

Shiny_Rock
HI all,
i have a friend who has been searching for the perfect diamond for his girlfriend..and i am so excited that he has asked me to help him in his search..
he has found one that he likes and would like to know the opinions of all the good folks here on PS..he thanks all of you in advance for your help!
9.gif

here are the stats..

1.10 RB ideal cut
F VS2
6.66-6.71 X 4.08 MM
Depth 61.0
table 56
Thin to medium faceted
polish/symetry excellent
crown
34.3''
Height: 14.6%
Pavil:
Angle: 40.8''
Depth: 43.0%
GIA

depending on the numbers you use..it rates about a 1.1 HCA and 1A on the AGA cut class..
ill try and post the images for you too...
thanks all for the help!!! i..well...he really appreciates it!
appl.gif
naughty.gif
wavey.gif

bling

Shiny_Rock
uugh..i cant paste the pics..but here is the link to the stone so you can see the all the images...again..thanks for the help!

http://www.superbcert.com/products/index.cfm?Product_ID=70&Product_Subcategory_ID=3&Product_Category_ID=3&Product_Group_ID=1

wink2.gif
lickout.gif
naughty.gif
16.gif
wacko.gif

magna2

Shiny_Rock
I give it a thumb's up on it.

rodent.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
It looks awesome!! Your friend has a discrimating eye...aren't you glad he asked for your help? He'd be at the maul otherwise, plunking down his $1999 for a 1.5ctw stone...ooh what a deal.
2.gif

Bscope results look AMAZING, the scope picture looks great..etc. One question is in the actual picture of the diamond, are those inclusions off to the left there (when you view it, that left)...brown spots? I didn't see those on the GIA report---is that a trick of the light or actual inclusions on the stone. But if it's VS2 it should be eye-clean so no worries, but I'd be curious about those spots just from an FYI perspective.

Otherwise, beautiful!
1.gif

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
It wouldn't be my choice in terms of the F/VS combo; but, it appears to be a wonderful stone.

bling

Shiny_Rock
Thank you for those that have responded...
F&I...do you mean you wouldnt go with the F/vs2 and would go lower color or clarity...or is there something that you dont like with this particular stone..im not sure what you mean.
does anyone think that the stone is too far out of round..i think it varies by like 0.05mm...is that too much..also there is quite a bit of variance on the pavillion angles...can some of the experts comment on those..i think they range from 40.5 to 41.1...is this something he should be concerned about..?
mara, i too saw those small brown spots on the stone..i thought theyb must be pieces of lint..i cant believe thosse would be inclusions on a vs2..and like you said they dont show up on the gia report.. hell have to ask the vendor specifically on that i think...
he hopes to have the stone sent to a local appraiser to see it for himself, but thought he would check first to make sure it is worth sending out...
any other comments??? thanks thanks!!!!
16.gif
9.gif
10.gif
11.gif
21.gif

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock

----------------
On 11/5/2003 1:48:51 PM bling wrote:

F&I...do you mean you wouldnt go with the F/vs2 and would go lower color or clarity...or is there something that you dont like with this particular stone..im not sure what you mean.
does anyone think that the stone is too far out of round..i think it varies by like 0.05mm...is that too much..----------------

I can't speak for her, but I suspect F&I means she's drop in color/clarity and move up in size because that's her preference. (Frankly, it would be mine, too.....that money could get a much larger stone that presents exactly the same to the unaided eye as the F stone. But again, it's a personal preference thing.)

One more time on this "out-of-round" business. Everyone lately is jumping on this........a stone isn't out-of-round unless it varies by .10 of a mm. Hence, a stone that is 6.66x6.71 is most assuredly NOT out-of-round. If it was 6.66 x 6.81, that would be out-of-round.

This has the promise of being a beautiful stone and is certainly worthy of the additional investment to send to an appraiser.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Definitely NOT out of round. It is very common for stones to have variances of around .08 or so in diameter. Ours is 7.12 - 7.19 and it is nowhere near looking out of round. So .05 is nothing at all to worry about. It's harder to find stones that have smaller ranges from what I have seen....I know that technically its 10% to be out of round...but I personally would not be keen on a stone that is .10 or more. .09 or less is what I would look for...depending on size of stone obviously.

2.gif
I also think that F&I meant she'd go lower in color/clarity....but if your friend is happy with this combo, then I think the stone itself sounds lovely. Have him order it! Get it appraised!
1.gif
I'm sure it will be a knockout!! That Bscope report is great.

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 11/5/2003 1:57:29 PM aljdewey wrote:

----------------
On 11/5/2003 1:48:51 PM bling wrote:

does anyone think that the stone is too far out of round..i think it varies by like 0.05mm...is that too much..----------------

I can't speak for her, but I suspect F&I means she's drop in color/clarity and move up in size because that's her preference. (Frankly, it would be mine, too.....that money could get a much larger stone that presents exactly the same to the unaided eye as the F stone. But again, it's a personal preference thing.)

quote]

Yes, you can speak for me. Except to add - have the choice of going bigger or saving the extra money for something else - like diamond e.r.

Giangi

Ideal_Rock
In one word: GREAT! You cannot go wrong with that one!
love.gif

F/VS 2 is maybe not the best bang for the buck... But an F H&A, believe me, will look VERY white!!!!!!!
1.gif

bling

Shiny_Rock
Thanks all! This will be very good news for him...i know hes been looking a long time and is getting very close now to purchasing.. he will be happy to hear all your comments.. i actually am in the process of asking him about the color. i know its important to him but im not sure if wants it to look white, or to be white on paper. i know his girlfriend wants a larger stone..with in reason.hehehe..so that is why i mentioned the color thing to him as well. i will probably direct him to some of the posting here about color.
again, thank you for the words of encouragement and help..
9.gif
9.gif
9.gif
9.gif

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 11/5/2003 4:39:32 PM bling wrote:

i know its important to him but im not sure if wants it to look white, or to be white on paper. i know his girlfriend wants a larger stone..with in reason.hehehe..so that is why i mentioned the color thing to him as well. i will probably direct him to some of the posting here about color.
ile:]
9.gif
9.gif
9.gif
----------------

Must be a guy/girl thing. That said, I'm a big believer in defering to the women's desire. She's the one that has to wear it. If she wants bigger, thanks for questioning the color thing to him.

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock

----------------
On 11/5/2003 4:39:32 PM bling wrote:

i know its important to him but im not sure if wants it to look white, or to be white on paper

; i know his girlfriend wants a larger stone..with in reason.----------------

Oh, DEFINITELY go down in color then and down to an SI1. He could get a MUCH MUCH larger stone (close to 1.5 cts!) without any visual sacrifice on color, and she'd be thrilled!

ccuheartnurse

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
The stone is a nice one thats for sure & definitely a safe clarity. I'm with the girls on this one, size counts.
naughty.gif
Mara you better believe that my fiance would search high & low for a .25 bigger rock. LOL LOL It may not be important to him, but it sure would be for me!
appl.gif
You know that old expression, one good turn deserves another. hehehe
naughty.gif
saint.gif

Judy
:)

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh of COURSE...you know me..if I had $7500 (again) I'd maximize that size size size baby..and cut. I'd probably end up with something like a J SI1 H&A in order to get a 1.5c. Well in actuality I'd have wheedled out a few more $k from the fiance and gotten something like an I SI1 almost 2c stone or had to give up a bit on the fancy setting...but anyway...I digress.

But not everyone would do that....so it really depends on what this guy's priorities are and his time schedule etc. As F&I once noted, a diamond in the hand may be better than one in the bush. Hee.

Though as we all know from my words above..shrinkage sets in really fast. So in about 6 months he may be wishing he'd gotten the J SI1 1.5c instead of a 1.10 FVS or a 1.25 H SI.
rodent.gif

ccuheartnurse

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Shrinkage, I know it well.
nono.gif
I too would think of going from my SI-1, G to an SI-1, I to get my 2.0cts. haha Needless to say, a 1.5 isnt anything to sneeze at & I do have the added comfort of knowing I have a 100% trade-up on tht baby someday. haha I know, I know, a lot arent into tradeups, however, I am.
lickout.gif

Bling,
If you friend loves that rock, & he has the cash, there's no reason to stall, tell him to get it cause as we all know on this forum, the good ones go fast. Besides, then his gf will be a fiance that much faster.
appl.gif

Mikesgirl

Shiny_Rock
It's a beauty, and who could complain about such a stunner. It's going to look bigger than 1 carat.

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
My point about the F color is that many people do not understand that a G/H VS2/SI1/2 stone is a quality stone. I just like people to be aware of that before they buy. If someone's into what the specs say on paper - then more power to them. I think many just don't understand that the translation to "real life" is so minimal when the cost is so maximum.

Stone looks good to go if he doesn't want to drop ten & punt.

bling

Shiny_Rock
i so agree with all you out there as well...like i said before, i myself was a firm believer in the D-F range..had to be colorless..and we even went and purchased a beautiful 1.01 F vs2. i mean, it was a gorgeous stone...but then shrinkage did start to set in..faster than i ever thought it would. after reading practically every posting here about the color difference in F to G...i couldnt justify not going a little bigger for a color difference i would not see...especially since we were only looking at well cut stones. so with a little more research, a big deep breathe..and a super understanding fiance (whos main concern was my happiness), we upgraded to a 1.2 G vs2..and i am soooo happy i did. i no longer look at my stone and wish it were larger..to me, its big enough. i know some might not think thats a big enough jump, but for me it was. and i cannot see a color difference at all..and neither does my fiance..and hes picky! so now, i am all for decreasing color (within each owns personal comfort level) for increased size...now, all i have to do is explain this to him..hehehe...
1.gif
thanks for the input all! hell still be thrilled that everyone thinks its a killer stone..
twirl.gif
tongue.gif
9.gif
10.gif
rodent.gif

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
Thing about stone size - most people opt for the 1c mark. Factor in that many are of poor cut plus the standard 1c mark - a 1.25+ stone will just plain stand out.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results