shape
carat
color
clarity

Diamond Adivce

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Roupey03

Rough_Rock
I think I have found a good diamond.

http://www.whiteflash.com/hearts_arrows/A-Cut-Above-H-A-cut-diamond-19695.htm

I am going to put in a tiffany 4 prong setting. I was just wondering if it is really worth paying to get the hearts and arrows. My price limit for the entire ring is going to be 2300. I was just wondering what your oppinions are and if there is something better out there. Am i right going with a hearts and arrow or would you advice getting something of less quality and going bigger.

I believe my GFs ring size is a 4. If this means anything to you.

poptart

Brilliant_Rock
It looks like a good stone to me, but I am not the resident expert. There are a lot of people on this site that have more experience than I do. You might also be able to go down to an H SI1 if you are determined to get a bigger stone. Personally though I think it''s a good size. That said, I think that you can get a good setting for the 200 dollars you have left over. It looks like you are well on your way.

*M*

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you pay by wire, you can get the full Pricescope discount on the stone, which would make it $1910. I agree with poptart that it''s a good size, but you could get a larger stone for the money if you go to an eye-clean H SI1 or SI2. H will still be very white. I would even go to I color. Also, you may be losing a bit of diameter with the 62 depth and slightly thick girdle. If by "less quality" you mean cut, I would not compromise on cut.

AndyRosse

Ideal_Rock
Definitely do not compromise cut for size. Instead, you can always look to a lower color and/or clarity.

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wanted to add that you could get a near-H&A and still get great quality. Some of Whiteflash''s Expert Selection stones are examples of these.

Finding_Neverland

Shiny_Rock
If you've been out looking at other well cut diamonds and know she and you are color sensitive, then that diamond looks like a very good choice.

But very well cut Rounds look much whiter and brighter than the actual color grade.

If she's not extremely color sensitive here's another one you might want to consider:

http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/2546/

Price Scope price is $1816 for the diamond. Which would leave you plenty of room to get a nicer setting and/or come in under budget. PLUS, the diamond has a larger diameter. More visual bang for the buck there if you're looking to get a bigger sized diamond.

Roupey03

Rough_Rock
That diamond looks good, but is color I going to be a problem? I guess I am just looking for something that is of good value/quality.

Roupey03

Rough_Rock
From your expirience which is going to be the better value in the long run. A F SI or an I VS2? They are both .63 which is fine with me. Out of the two diamonds which would you purchase for yourself. Also if there are any others please let me know.

Thanks

hikerchick

Brilliant_Rock
If the SI1 was eye-clean, that would be my first choice . . . if it is not perfectly eye-clean, I would go with the VS2 . . .

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/22/2007 2:09:38 PM
Author: Roupey03
From your expirience which is going to be the better value in the long run. A F SI or an I VS2? They are both .63 which is fine with me. Out of the two diamonds which would you purchase for yourself. Also if there are any others please let me know.

Thanks
Don''t really think about value for the long run, because most people loose quite a bit of money if they try to re-sell their diamonds no matter their clarity/color. Instead, I would recommend buying from a company who has an excellent upgrade policy if you ever want to trade up.

In a diamond this size, I color should be fine unless the two of you are quite color sensitive. I love buying SI quality as well, because an eye-clean SI will look pretty much exactly the same as an IF to the naked eye, why pay for what you can''t see without a microscope? I do, however, think gettinng the ACA is worth it compared to expert selection. I have a few ACA diamonds in a five stone ring and they are AMAZING!! By the way, one is an H and the others are I colored and I can''t tell the difference and am very happy with the color.

Roupey03

Rough_Rock
Thank you for all your input so this leads me to my next question. From your expirience who has the better trade up policies and customer service. GOG or James Allen.

Thank you

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/22/2007 2:50:05 PM
Thank you for all your input so this leads me to my next question. From your expirience who has the better trade up policies and customer service. GOG or James Allen.

Thank you
You should probably call up both of these vendors to discuss their upgrade policy. I recently contacted Jim schultz (jamesallen) and they are in the process of changing their upgrade policy so you should really contact him in person about this issue.

WF has a great upgrade policy, 100% for life on in-house stones.

Roupey03

Rough_Rock
I noticed that GOG has a lifetime policy. James Allen has changed to a 5 year trade up from what I understand. That is too bad because I really like the James Allen Diamond and its cheaper.

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/22/2007 4:08:13 PM
I noticed that GOG has a lifetime policy. James Allen has changed to a 5 year trade up from what I understand. That is too bad because I really like the James Allen Diamond and its cheaper.
Call up Jim schultz...he told me he is in the process of changing this policy (for better policy). The details aren''t worked out yet or official, but you should talk to him about this and still keep the stone in the running if that''s what is holding you back.

psaddict

Shiny_Rock
Date: 1/23/2007 11:42:34 AM
So I think I may have decided on the .633 round H&A from JamesAllen previously discussed in the thread. F and SI1.

I was thinking about this setting?

http://www.jamesallen.com/engagement-rings/settings-with-sidestones.asp?module=setting&cid=334&item=948

Any opinions?

Does the Bezel setting make the diamond appear smaller? My Gf was worried about. It is either that or a tiffany 4 prong setting.

From what you say here, it sounds like for your girlfriend, size is a priority. Maybe you should go down on color/clarity to I and SI1/SI2. If it''s ideal cut it will be beautiful & white. And you could go up to close to .75 carats instead of .6.

here is one I found:

http://www.jamesallen.com/diamond.asp?cid=130&item=1013415

I''m having a hard time finding ones that are H-I and SI1-2 and within the correct pricerange, which could mean an even bigger stone. Maybe someone else can help.

Roupey03

Rough_Rock
My GF is not concerned with size .633 carat like the one I showed you is actually more then she expected. She is just concerned with that setting the diamond will appear to be smaller than it actually is. She seems to think it may better show the diamond in a 4 prong setting rather then a Bezel. Personally I like the setting and so does she. It is very unique.

Finding_Neverland

Shiny_Rock
Bezels and half bezels are smooth. No prongs to snag on clothes and such. And typcially, the diamond does tend to sit lower to the finger in a bezel setting.

For presentation purposes, a prong setting will better "show off" the diamond. Generally prong heads tend to sit higher, show casing the diamond somewhat better than a bezel or half bezel does.

If you want to make the diamond appear larger, you could go with a halo setting encrusted with melee. That would give the illusion of a larger diamond while still show casing the center stone.

As far as color,............ In well cut rounds, you really have to see them in person to know if an I color will work for you. Keep in mind, when she''s wearing the ring, an I colored diamond is not gonna be setting next to a similar sized F in the same ring. And, skin tones play a part as well. Your gal won''t be showing off her ring against a white sheet of paper. It''s gonna be on her finger.

Roupey03

Rough_Rock
Ok I am waiting to hear back from them if it is eye clean, but if it is this is the diamond I plan on buying.

http://www.jamesallen.com/diamond.asp?cid=53&item=1007266

Now I am down to two settings and I need your opinions and feedback.

18kt White Gold Knife Edge Cathedral Diamond Engagement Ring
http://www.jamesallen.com/engagement-rings/classic-solitaire-settings.asp?cid=57&module=setting&item=926

I like this it is very classic and will showcase the diamond well.

14kt White Gold "Soft Square" Designer Engagement Ring
http://www.jamesallen.com/engagement-rings/m-geller-items.asp?module=setting&cid=331&item=948&name=4308w

But I also like this, it is unique, and although it doesn''t have a setting that will showcase my center stone as well there are diamonds in the band.

Thoughts?

Roupey03

Rough_Rock
The soft square actually has the matching wedding band for 605. I am starting to wonder if I might just want to go with the cathedral so I dont have to worry about buying a matching wedding band now.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results