shape
carat
color
clarity

DH is going to Bangkok!! Know of any reputable gem dealers?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
He would like to bring me back something sparkly, but needs some tips on vendors, etc. Also, are there particular kinds of gemstones that Bangkok is known for? He realizes there are a lot of scams over there (and he looks like a typical Anglo), so I''d him to go armed with some knowledge. And I''m bummed that I can''t go too.
7.gif
39.gif
7.gif

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
Oooooh, thanks D&T, I''ll look that one up.

Barrett

Ideal_Rock
Bangkok is known for just about every stone out there as well as every type of treatment you can imagine. Yes try to find a good hookup and watch out at the open air markets.

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Scott is a great source for unusual stones. He had a parcel of Berilky garnets that were gorgeous.

Dave at TipTop gems is someone I trust as well. He does deal with synthetic and treated stones but he is very forthcoming with information. I am always satisfied with the stones I got from him.

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
So, if I go with a reputable dealer, should I assume that I won''t find any real bargain stones? I think I''m looking more for a fairly inexpensive stone to set (under $200), rather than an unusual collector''s item. I guess I tend to be a little more mainstream, and am wondering if the prices won''t be any better in Bangkok than here in the US.

chiapet

Brilliant_Rock
Cellentani,
I''m going to Bangkok next month and have also been looking up reliable jewellers! Please let me know what DH brings back for you and where he went. So far, I''m planning to go these stores: Johnny''s Gems, Uthai''s Gems, and AJS Gems (which some PSers have done online purchase from). I''m so excited to see what DH buys for you!
BTW, how come you don''t get to go to Bangkok with him?
38.gif

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/18/2009 10:33:38 PM
Author: chiapet
Cellentani,
I'm going to Bangkok next month and have also been looking up reliable jewellers! Please let me know what DH brings back for you and where he went. So far, I'm planning to go these stores: Johnny's Gems, Uthai's Gems, and AJS Gems (which some PSers have done online purchase from). I'm so excited to see what DH buys for you!
BTW, how come you don't get to go to Bangkok with him?
38.gif
I've heard of Uthai's Gems, too - right next to the US embassy, I think. It's known in the expat community as being reputable. Do you still need an appointment to get in?

This is a work trip for DH, which means it'll be a big work week for me - home with our 4 kids! One of these days though......okay, make that years. I'll let you know if he gets anything, but I'm starting to think that he may not find any great bargains, and I don't want to spend a ton of money.

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
You''re not going to find something amazing at a bargain price - the thai dealers know EXACTLY what they are selling and what it is worth, however you should pay less than you would in the USA.

For bargains you need to be buying from the miners - but that is something you don''t want to do without knowing a fair bit about gemstones, how to use various tools plus a good contact in the area who can take you to the right people/places. Even then there''s a good chance of getting ripped off (the closer to source you get the more chance of finding synthetics!) and a lot of treatments require sophisticated lab tests.

But you should still be able to get something nice for $200 - as long as you''re not hoping for a $2k stone at that price.

FinewaterGems

Rough_Rock
Trade
If you want a real gem lovers experience, try going to Chanthaburi for their weekend gem market. It''s about a 4-hour bus ride southeast of Bangkok (use the Ekamai Bus Terminal). You sit down with a broker at his office or at an outside table - the broker will then post a sign in Thai stating what you are looking for and dealers will immediately arrive carrying stones in a shoulder bag. I bought a couple of small inexpensive stones for the experience, but it really is more of a spectator sport. It was amazing to watch the bigger buyers buy mounds of rubies or sapphires with wads of cash about 6 inches thick! There''s also lots of other typical gem stores in the area if you are not feeling that adventurous.

chiapet

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/19/2009 12:05:49 PM
Author: FinewaterGems
If you want a real gem lovers experience, try going to Chanthaburi for their weekend gem market. It''s about a 4-hour bus ride southeast of Bangkok (use the Ekamai Bus Terminal). You sit down with a broker at his office or at an outside table - the broker will then post a sign in Thai stating what you are looking for and dealers will immediately arrive carrying stones in a shoulder bag. I bought a couple of small inexpensive stones for the experience, but it really is more of a spectator sport. It was amazing to watch the bigger buyers buy mounds of rubies or sapphires with wads of cash about 6 inches thick! There''s also lots of other typical gem stores in the area if you are not feeling that adventurous.

Ooooh! Buying mounds of rubies and sapphires sounds like a great experience!
31.gif

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/19/2009 9:30:58 PM

31.gif
I''m happy to just watch. Is it ok to take photos?

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/19/2009 11:00:02 PM
Author: Lovinggems

Date: 6/19/2009 9:30:58 PM

31.gif
I''m happy to just watch. Is it ok to take photos?
No kidding, me too. I would hate to have that kind of pressure when buying gemstones. And I ain''t sending hubby with any 6-inch wads of cash either!!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results