shape
carat
color
clarity

DFHK Vs GIA reports?

tting05

Rough_Rock
Hi

It's such an informative forum.... I wished I came across this before buying my 0.73c I/ SI1 diamond...

I'm wanting to get an idea on the credibility & reliability of diamonds certified by DFHK (Diamond Federation Hong Kong).
They say they base their grading on GIA standards, but I'd like to know if anyone has compared gradings from DFHK to those from GIA?

http://www.dfhk.org/eng/index.php?page=&id=34

sample of DFHK report here:
http://www.dfhk.org/eng/index.php?page=&id=80

Any insights would be much appreciated!

Thanks

diamondloveaffair

Shiny_Rock
basing their standards based on GIA is different from having the same standards as GIA.

How much did the diamond cost you?

John P

Ideal_Rock
Trade
The DFHK laboratory is no longer operating. It appears no one bothered to update that website since about 2008. They did a decent job when they were active. I believe they were taken over by the NGTC; a Chinese lab which also serves as the policing agency for China's diamond grading standards.

Here is some info about the NGTC, GIA and IGI, if you're interested:
https://www.pricescope.com/journal/china-rise-exploding-economy-fantastic-future-part-two

shizzle85

Rough_Rock
Hi John,

I live in Hong Kong, and I want to buy a diamond for an engagement ring. If the DFHK is no longer in operation, what type of certificates should I expect to see if I want to be confident in the quality/rating of my diamond?

Thank you for your help!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
GIA.

Also, I recommend you buy from the US from vendors that ship overseas regularly like BGD.

John P

Ideal_Rock
Trade
shizzle85|1394585957|3632105 said:
Hi John,

I live in Hong Kong, and I want to buy a diamond for an engagement ring. If the DFHK is no longer in operation, what type of certificates should I expect to see if I want to be confident in the quality/rating of my diamond?

Thank you for your help!
With color and clarity you won't encounter wide standards-differences between different reports in China like you will in the USA. This is due to the "watchdog" status of the National Gemstone Testing Center (NGTC). In addition to grading services, the NGTC functions as the “policing agency” for lab standards. Any store with foreign grading reports can be entered by the NGTC, where items can be removed for testing in its lab. If the goods to be downgraded the store must pay a fine and negotiate to get the penalized goods back. As a result, soft grading is considered an unhealthy liability by many Chinese retailers.

In terms of cut-quality IGI HK has the strictest metric; both in terms of proportions requirements for Ideal, as well as a stricter Hearts & Arrows report that is reserved for diamonds which qualify. The NGTC also grades Hearts & Arrows, but their standards, as well as the proportions requirements for Ideal are somewhat wider. GIA does not grade Hearts & Arrows but the GIA name is extremely well-regarded. As the most popular western lab, and the "world authority" most diamonds of size and value will carry a GIA report, even if it carries one from another lab.

Why two reports for some diamonds? From the article I linked above: "Some Chinese consumers will seek foreign reports automatically, based on the notion that foreign-purchased products are inherently 'better.' This is not jewelry-specific. Those same people would rather purchase their Sony camera in a western airport rather than at home. Why? Because they feel there is a better chance the camera came from the authentic Sony factory in Japan, rather than the Sony factory in China. This way of thinking is not uncommon, which helps to explain the success and growth of foreign labs in the Chinese jewelry sector."

As a result, many loose diamonds will have dual-reports. Frequently it's the NGTC (to satisfy internal policing) accompanied by GIA or IGI HK. The HRD has also made a push into China, but these reports are less frequent than the other two western labs.

Where have you been looking? You may have shopped loose diamonds at CTF and CSS? The prices there are similar, on the high side, to western chains of prestige. I'm familiar with a couple of the popular internet sellers there. The process is less information-intensive; thus impossible (to me) to complete a diamond purchase without going to an experience store to see it. But e-diamond sales are growing each year.

I hope this helps.

howardc

Rough_Rock
Get a GIA certificate.

There are many jewellery shops in HK at competitive prices. Find one that has a good rep. You will need post sales services such as ring resize, etc.

spicyitalian

Rough_Rock
Tons of shops in HongKong carry GIA diamonds. The thing is that mainstream stores you see have significantly higher prices than what you would have to pay for online.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results