shape
carat
color
clarity

Desperate for advice asap please

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

moocowdairy

Rough_Rock
Hello everyone. My first time posting and I havent slept much at all so I hope I dont ramble too much.

Im an american living in Sweden. My boyfriend and I were engaged about 6 months ago but he didnt have a ring when he proposed because he knows that I am very particular in my tastes. Since that time I´ve been debating with myself what type of ring to get. In Sweden the norm seems to be a very small solitaire or a plain band. When we looked at jewelry stores, the largest that any carried were 1 carat, the most popular size seems to be quarter to half a carat. This is really adding to my guilt of wanting a larger stone. I was actually a bit embarassed when my boyfriend described to the jeweler we wanted an "American style engagement ring". I suppose they see us as a bigger is better culture! I decided against getting a ring in Sweden because the pricing is insane and the quality of some of the stones was terrible.

We´re now vacationing in Paris and happened to walk into a store called Korloff. My favorite cut is RB and I was leaning towards a simple solitaire or maybe a little something in the band as well as long as it was clean and not cluttered looking. I do not like the look of other cuts for myself. When we walked into Korloff the jeweler showed us something called their Korloff cut. The shape is between a Princess and Emerald cut and reminds me of a radiant cut with all the facets. She really pushed the fact that the stone has 65 facets rather than the regular 57 of a brillaint. I will admit the stone had more sparkle and fire than any other ring I had ever seen but I wasnt interested in anything other than a round. I also wanted a platinum setting and this was white gold. But my boyfriend asked me to try it on and the more I wore it the more I began to love it. It looked lovely in the store and even better in the sunlight. My boyfriend wanted to buy it on the spot but I always like to sleep on it before I make any large purchase so we told the jeweler we would return the next day (today). Going to another jeweler a few stores down cemented the Korloff stone for my boyfriend. The 2nd jeweler had a 2 carat round brilliant, E, VS1 for 18,500 with a VAT rebate, bringing the ring to 15,500 € or 21k USD. My boyfriend insisted the stone looked flat and lifeless compared to the Korloff and I agree. In the sunlight this ring looked even worse than the store, it had no sparkle at all. I am a diamond newbie and never realized until that time just how important the cut/polish/symmetry can be. Before I only thought carat, color and quality mattered; using that guideline the RB should have blown the Korloff away but it was the other way around hands down.

When we got back to the room I started to do price conversions. (If I hear prices in Euros or Kronor, its a bit like Monopoly money and it the value doesnt sink in yet). The price was 30k € or about 41k USD. My jaw dropped and I told my fiance absolutely not. As I said before the setting is a simple band (bow shaped) of white gold with a solitaire in the Korloff cut. The stone is 2 carats, G, SI1. The colour and quality of the gem are not jaw dropping and I showed him many sites online where we could buy a much better quality or the same quality for MUCH MUCH less. He is adamant that he will not purchase a stone online. I was a Costco freak when I was in the states, so I showed him their diamond section and how nice the prices were, 1/3 less and better quality but he seems embarassed about getting a ring where you can also buy toilet paper and frozen pizza.

Help, I dont know what to do! On the plus side: getting this ring would make my boyfriend happy, the ring IS beautiful, it´s well within our budget, even though I know there´s a lot of improvement room for the color and clarity I can´t imagine a stone looking nicer (I´m not sure if it´s the cut or why it is but when I compared the G stone to an E we could barely see a colour difference side by side. I normally see it right away with brilliants) and it is romantic that we got a ring unexpectedly while vacationing in Paris. On the negative side: I think I could get much better for much cheaper (am I wrong?), will I tire of a novelty cut when I originally wanted a classic round brilliant?

My fiance is asleep right now and we are supposed to go back when he awakens. I guess I am hoping that someone here will give me peace of mind with either choice. Saying not to purchase that the ring is a rip off or saying it is an ok price. I''m sorry I dont have the numbers for the all the other stats, they are useless to me since I dont know what they mean and when we were looking at the diamond I hadn''t thought about posting here and asking.

Sorry for the novel sized post, thanks in advance for any advice or wisdom you impart!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Welcome!

Firstly, a G SI can be a good choice for colour and clarity - especially if eyeclean, so I wouldn't worry about that too much. The round you saw probably didn't have a great cut - a well cut round will be a cracking sock exploder so it probably wasn't the case here.

I haven't heard of the Korloff cut to advise you, but the price is high, this is usual for brick and mortar establishments. Basically if your BF won't buy online, if you have time, could you fit in a visit to Antwerp? There are people there who can find you a wonderful selection of well cut rounds.

moocowdairy

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the quick reply Lorelei!

I´ve never thought of going to Antwerp. Are diamonds better priced there vs the U.S.? We could easily do a quick weekend run there.

As for the Korloff cut, I couldnt find any images online. They said that its now a recognized cut in Europe and I found this tidbit:

One of the features of the Basel Show was the Korloff cut, which particularly enhances the glitter and brilliance of diamonds because it allows as much light as possible to penetrate the heart of the stone. The fruit of many reseraches and calculations, this exceptional octagonal diamond is characterised by its 65 facets, 41 of which are on the crown and the remaining 24 on the pavillion.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am not sure on the pricing but I do know that there are some people there who could help you find a superbly cut round diamond, if your BF won't buy online, then that would be what I would do in your situation. Fancy cuts can be nice, but you need to be sure it can stand the test of time and that you will still love it in years to come, especially as you say you wanted a round. This branded cut may be difficult to trade or sell in the future as it's market may be limited too.

For example, Paul Slegers of Infinity Diamonds posts here and he is a true expert who can talk you through the whole process of finding a superbly cut diamond, here is his website.

http://www.craftedbyinfinity.com/

I found a pic of the Korloff, looks similar to a Radiant ( third stone up from bottom of page)

http://www.diamant.ie/diamonds.aspx

Krissie

Brilliant_Rock
My advice is probably unorthodox -- but I was in a similar position to you (just browsing at a B&M when we fell in love with a ring) and in my opinion, if you both loved the ring and it''s within your budget, you should go with it. The stats sound great to me, and you''ve seen it in person and you both love it.

Will that ring be the standard that you hold others to? Will you always wish, deep down, that you had gotten that ring in Paris? You should go with what makes your heart happy. That''s what we did, even though I''m certain we could have gotten a better value elsewhere!!

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/25/2007 6:37:31 AM
Author: Lorelei
I am not sure on the pricing but I do know that there are some people there who could help you find a superbly cut round diamond, if your BF won''t buy online, then that would be what I would do in your situation. Fancy cuts can be nice, but you need to be sure it can stand the test of time and that you will still love it in years to come, especially as you say you wanted a round. This branded cut may be difficult to trade or sell in the future as it''s market may be limited too.

For example, Paul Slegers of Infinity Diamonds posts here and he is a true expert who can talk you through the whole process of finding a superbly cut diamond, here is his website.

I found a pic of the Korloff, looks similar to a Radiant ( third stone up from bottom of page)

Yes. If you could see him, I know you would end up with a stunning round.

I know you are in a rather sticky position, but I would just try to tell your boyfriend nicely that, this is your ring, you are going to wear it a long time, and you want to be thrilled with it. If a round is what will do that, then that''s what you should get.
2.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/25/2007 8:05:36 AM
Author: Ellen

Date: 7/25/2007 6:37:31 AM
I am not sure on the pricing but I do know that there are some people there who could help you find a superbly cut round diamond, if your BF won''t buy online, then that would be what I would do in your situation. Fancy cuts can be nice, but you need to be sure it can stand the test of time and that you will still love it in years to come, especially as you say you wanted a round. This branded cut may be difficult to trade or sell in the future as it''s market may be limited too.

Yes. If you could see him, I know you would end up with a stunning round.

I know you are in a rather sticky position, but I would just try to tell your boyfriend nicely that, this is your ring, you are going to wear it a long time, and you want to be thrilled with it. If a round is what will do that, then that''s what you should get.
2.gif
That is what I meant to say but went round the houses as usual!

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/25/2007 8:16:54 AM

That is what I meant to say but went round the houses as usual!
lol!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results