shape
carat
color
clarity

Designing my JP Decagon

kaisersoze

Rough_Rock
Hey all.. I got my first rough draft of an engagement ring for the girlfriend. Just curious on thoughts on it and that changes I'll be making! I requested a 1.81-189 D/E VVS1 Decagon in a platinum setting. After visiting this forum originally looking for cushion cuts, this place introduced us to JannPaul and we were just in awww of their selection, design and process. The decagon looks absolutely stunning. I will say tho, the process hasn't been very seamless. The 14 hour time difference and their slow response really hinders things. 3 weeks ago we had our consultation with Avery and I placed a deposit the very next day. I just now today received the rendering. The ring looks great however, wow, its really not at all what I requested.

First off, we never asked for hidden halo. Requested that to be removed
Second, the inside band of the ring was supposed to be 3/4" full of decagons.
Third. We wanted 2 decagons on each side of the main. Spaced out.

We do absolutely love the decagon underneath the main, which we requested. I can't wait to see what the updated design brings. Just hope I'm not waiting close to 3 weeks on it!

I'm really trying to do stuff to make it fairly unique as I want her to have a one-of-a-kind ring like she deserves. Any suggestions would be great!

V1 (4).png

Attachments

• V1 (5).png
    V1 (5).png
    954.4 KB · Views: 44
  • V1 (1).png
    V1 (1).png
    1 MB · Views: 35
  • V1 (2).png
    V1 (2).png
    915.2 KB · Views: 32

0515vision

Brilliant_Rock
Yes, between the time difference and different holidays, doing business internationally has its quirks. Fingers crossed the next rendering is quick and on point!

I sent a sketch of what I wanted, and that definitely expedited things. Just love my one-of-a-kind ring. You will, too!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
When you wear a wb you won't see the diamond under the gallery. Just pointing that out. I also wonder how it affects the structural integrity of the piece as it decreases the metal under the head substantially. I haven't seen that kind of design element before and I wonder if there is a good reason.

PinkAndBlueBling

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Such a pretty ring! Your girlfriend is lucky!

• If you remove the hidden halo, what type of gallery do you envision?
  • By "inside" do you mean the ring shoulder, or along both sides of the shank?
  • You want two decagons spaced how far apart?
I ask these questions because you have to be very specific when dealing with a busy vendor who is so far away. You can't be requesting these changes, hope they understand them, and wait for a response, hoping it ill be what you want, if you aren't super detailed in your request. Otherwise, you might be doing this in pieces over a long timeframe.

kaisersoze

Rough_Rock
Honestly, we were pretty specific on the design as we drew our inspiration from their petite series that she showed us and I attached.

We just wanted the changes of no halo. Couple reasons for no halo: Shes a hairdresser and didn't want gunk to start getting into any nooks/crannies that make it hard to clean. And 2, she loves the look of a 'floating diamond' and one that is showcased. So she wants a setting that will compliment what she likes.

Also, she didn't want the 3 stones on the side. Wanted it cut down to 2 with the spacing in their example.

I'm confident we'll get exactly what we hope for. Just lilttle frustrating that the first one was so far off.

Screenshot 2024-03-05 at 1.59.50 PM.png

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Honestly, we were pretty specific on the design as we drew our inspiration from their petite series that she showed us and I attached.

We just wanted the changes of no halo. Couple reasons for no halo: Shes a hairdresser and didn't want gunk to start getting into any nooks/crannies that make it hard to clean. And 2, she loves the look of a 'floating diamond' and one that is showcased. So she wants a setting that will compliment what she likes.

Also, she didn't want the 3 stones on the side. Wanted it cut down to 2 with the spacing in their example.

I'm confident we'll get exactly what we hope for. Just lilttle frustrating that the first one was so far off.

Screenshot 2024-03-05 at 1.59.50 PM.png

While the inspiration ring is beautiful, I suspect it isn't a daily wear ring due to all the diamonds in the shank. All those diamonds means there are lots of holes in the metal, which can result in structural instability. The ones on the side profile will also scratch up/"eat into" any adjacent wedding band.

kaisersoze

Rough_Rock
While the inspiration ring is beautiful, I suspect it isn't a daily wear ring due to all the diamonds in the shank. All those diamonds means there are lots of holes in the metal, which can result in structural instability. The ones on the side profile will also scratch up/"eat into" any adjacent wedding band.

This is great info. Thanks for this as its def not something we had thought about. Maybe simple will be good? Atleast we have some time for the ring design while the diamond is made. We thought a ton about how to make things a little unique without being too blingy or over top. Its hard since it seems its all been done!

kaisersoze

Rough_Rock
Well they were ultra-fast w the updates! Very impressed!!

Now y'all got me questioning the inner diamonds. GF doesn't think she'll want a wedding band so having the inner diamond was a mix of both worlds. However, if this design isn't 'every day compatible', we'll have to go a diff route.

701b50dd-0df3-4d20-bc8d-41d2bc65ccba.jpeg

Attachments

• 09fe479a-a31d-4dd5-917e-77b35fbf3f2f.jpeg
    09fe479a-a31d-4dd5-917e-77b35fbf3f2f.jpeg
    84.3 KB · Views: 11
  • 180adad6-405b-48ed-80b4-78b8efd9702e.jpeg
    180adad6-405b-48ed-80b4-78b8efd9702e.jpeg
    88.5 KB · Views: 9
  • 3638f999-023d-42d9-aaaf-d88ecfda0e2f.jpeg
    3638f999-023d-42d9-aaaf-d88ecfda0e2f.jpeg
    45.2 KB · Views: 9
  • 3f55cd9c-3efc-4778-aa9f-e95c65f06554.jpeg
    3f55cd9c-3efc-4778-aa9f-e95c65f06554.jpeg
    91.5 KB · Views: 9
  • 5e2a7700-f2a3-4484-97b2-154cba2ef50f.jpeg
    5e2a7700-f2a3-4484-97b2-154cba2ef50f.jpeg
    41.8 KB · Views: 9
  • 07fe1055-6154-4340-bead-367d08a35d24.jpeg
    07fe1055-6154-4340-bead-367d08a35d24.jpeg
    64.9 KB · Views: 11

Competitive_Cars

Rough_Rock
Design looks gorgeous! Is the band 2 mm thick?

I also fell in love with a JP design that had a peekaboo diamond under the gallery. After reading horror stories about peg head settings, I was especially worried about removing more material near the only connection point between the head and shank. I swapped to a cathedral style setting with pave on the bridge.

If you really want to keep the peekaboo stone, I would at least consider adding some arches and making it a cathedral setting. That’d provide significantly more structure to support the head, at the cost of perhaps changing the aesthetics in a way you don’t prefer. Up to you.

I would also be cautious about wearing a wb with this ring in its current state.

kaisersoze

Rough_Rock
Design looks gorgeous! Is the band 2 mm thick?

I also fell in love with a JP design that had a peekaboo diamond under the gallery. After reading horror stories about peg head settings, I was especially worried about removing more material near the only connection point between the head and shank. I swapped to a cathedral style setting with pave on the bridge.
If you really want to keep the peekaboo stone, I would at least consider adding some arches and making it a cathedral setting. That’d provide significantly more structure to support the head, at the cost of perhaps changing the aesthetics in a way you don’t prefer. Up to you.

I would also be cautious about wearing a wb with this ring in its current state.

Im not a huge fan of cathedral but I totally understand what you're saying! I'll have to see what the GF thinks on that.

This band in the rendering is a 2.2mm however we are also considering a 2.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don’t think it’s a very practical design for a person who works daily with their hands. I would hesitate about wearing that style of ring while holding scissors or washing someone’s hair etc. as the pave will be delicate, the prongs can catch on hair easily, and the delicate mounting might not hold up to metal in metal contact. A bezel style mounting or a setting that is lower and a little more sturdy might work better?

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Sholdt has some semi bezels that I think look like a floating diamond showcased.

0-0-0

Brilliant_Rock
Shes a hairdresser and didn't want gunk to start getting into any nooks/crannies that make it hard to clean.
The melee/pave along the band will have plenty of nooks/crannies. May want to consider milgrain/engraving instead. A 2 mm band will also be much more structurally sound without melee/pave.

kaisersoze

Rough_Rock
Y'al have brought up valid points. I gotta have some more discussions w the gf on form vs function on what she wants w the ring.

Inked

Brilliant_Rock
This is beautiful, your girlfriend will love it! but i really just wanted to say i think i can recite this movie by heart. he showed these men of will what will really was

Last edited:

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
Also chiming in, I apologize if you started this above, but gold is sometimes effected by chemicals. A jeweler friend told me that beach can turn gold into a weak "swiss cheese" structure. Platinum will be much more resilient in chemicals.

Edit Whoops, I see platinum...awesome!

kaisersoze

Rough_Rock
Also chiming in, I apologize if you started this above, but gold is sometimes effected by chemicals. A jeweler friend told me that beach can turn gold into a weak "swiss cheese" structure. Platinum will be much more resilient in chemicals.

Edit Whoops, I see platinum...awesome!

Precisely what swayed us towards platinum :). Granted it was our first choice plus she likes the patina it develops. She likes antique whereas I love simple/ultra modern.

Competitive_Cars

Rough_Rock
This is beautiful, your girlfriend will love it! but i really just wanted to say i think i can recite this movie by heart. he showed these men of will what will really was

Little off topic but I showed my gf it two months ago and she guessed the twist down to the fake limp like 20 mins in. I was so annoyed lol

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results