shape
carat
color
clarity

Designing a cup for my WX radiant

Mjay

Brilliant_Rock
I recently purchased a 3.18 ct WX radiant. I have a relatively clear plan for this stone. I want to set it in a halo of pink diamonds or a double halo of yellow and pink diamonds. The stone is very clearly yellow but I know I want to do a color enhancement cup to play it up as much as possible. I’m currently struggling with what to do to hide or play up the cup. I may engrave it like I’ve seen on Mark Broumand rings but I’m thinking I might prefer to do a design over it like this ring by diamonds by Lauren. I want to keep it modern but something different than the typical petals. Any ideas?
IMG_1474.jpegIMG_1504.jpeg

Have you considered asking David if he'd set it? He has tons of experience with these colors.

Are you looking for something geometric, floral (not petals), filigree, or some other category?

Since your stone is a radiant, I like the idea of going geometric with your basket! I also feel like a ring looks more cohesive when the cup is hidden personally.

My local jeweler showed me a yellow diamond ring (with a cup) he had made for another client once where he managed to almost entirely hide the cup, which I liked. She had gone for a white diamond + white gold halo, and what he did was he made a typical WG basket (in her case a floral pattern) and the cup was inside (away from the sides of the basket, so you couldn’t really see it).

I actually have that DBL ring or its sibling! Mine's a 3.01ct FLY and I love everything about the setting. Happy to answer any questions. I just got earrings from David, 3.01 ctw Y-Z in yellow gold stud settings which I'm eventually thinking I'll make into dangles that incorporate the flower petal theme, but for now I'm enjoying the studs and making sure I want to go in the drop direction since I usually wear studs.

Have you considered asking David if he'd set it? He has tons of experience with these colors.

I hadn’t. His work is amazing but I typically work with DK because I’m in California and prefer to keep it west coast.

Are you looking for something geometric, floral (not petals), filigree, or some other category?

Open to geometric or floral. I already have a ring with the petals so I just want something different.

Since your stone is a radiant, I like the idea of going geometric with your basket! I also feel like a ring looks more cohesive when the cup is hidden personally.

My local jeweler showed me a yellow diamond ring (with a cup) he had made for another client once where he managed to almost entirely hide the cup, which I liked. She had gone for a white diamond + white gold halo, and what he did was he made a typical WG basket (in her case a floral pattern) and the cup was inside (away from the sides of the basket, so you couldn’t really see it).

Yes! I agree with geometric. I just can’t seem to find much inspiration online.

Yes! I agree with geometric. I just can’t seem to find much inspiration online.

I did some Googling and couldn’t see anything because I feel like I don’t know what keywords to use. But I’ve definitely seen baskets with designs like triangles (top and tail, so it looks like a zigzag) for example. So I know it can be done and look nice also.

Ask your jeweler to show you examples of rings they’ve made maybe?

Open to geometric or floral. I already have a ring with the petals so I just want something different.
A couple inspiration images I had from my geometric/art deco/emerald board.
Screenshot_20240624-114052.png
1000003045.png1000003044.png

A couple of antique/vintage ring inspiration
1000003047.jpg1000003048.jpg

I started looking for inspiration in unusual places after a while - wallpaper patterns, art deco house decorations, etc
1000003049.png1000003050.png1000003051.png1000003052.png

Last edited:
Ok so I think I figured out the design! Stay tuned. I was initially thinking single halo and split shank. My husband is voting double halo. Inner yellow, outer pink. Similar to this. Thinking single claw prongs though? IMG_0610.jpeg

A couple of antique/vintage ring inspiration
1000003047.jpg1000003048.jpg

I started looking for inspiration in unusual places after a while - wallpaper patterns, art deco house decorations, etc
1000003049.png1000003050.png1000003051.png1000003052.png

So helpful! Thank you

Now I’m deciding between double halo- yellow inner pink outer and single pink halo. What would you guys do?

Now I’m deciding between double halo- yellow inner pink outer and single pink halo. What would you guys do?

Yellow inner and pink outer will help enhance the colour of your radiant, in my brief experience of having an alphabet yellow stone. It would be my suggestion for sure!

Yellow inner and pink outer will help enhance the colour of your radiant, in my brief experience of having an alphabet yellow stone. It would be my suggestion for sure!

Thank you! I’ve never been a fan of double halos but I think it will be good for finger coverage and that was my husbands vote. I’d make the inner halo a bit smaller than the outer.

While designing your dream ring, just remember it will need to be cleaned, and if you can't access the culet it will drive you mad.

Ok so I think I figured out the design! Stay tuned. I was initially thinking single halo and split shank. My husband is voting double halo. Inner yellow, outer pink. Similar to this. Thinking single claw prongs though? IMG_0610.jpeg

Ooh, yes to this! I love the pink and yellow combo, and I think that would be a great way to maximize finger coverage and play up the yellow. :kiss2:

Ooh, yes to this! I love the pink and yellow combo, and I think that would be a great way to maximize finger coverage and play up the yellow. :kiss2:

Thank you for the encouragement! I’m getting cold feet. I was initially planning on a single pink diamond halo. All of my mock ups of a double halo with yellow and pink look a bit to chaotic to me. It could be because I’m just using paint in pictures on my iPhone. It’s so hard to visualize.

IMG_1614.jpegIMG_1582.jpegIMG_1581.jpegIMG_1580.jpegIMG_1579.jpegIMG_1578.jpegIMG_1577.jpeg

These are just paint on my iPhone. I’m getting cold feet. Do you guys think the pink and yellow is to chaotic? I want it to be fun but not tacky.

Just yellow is monochromatic and takes itself too seriously. The pop of pink is playful and fun, a good contrast. I would vote for the yellow under pink halos and yellow in the shank. With single claw prongs.

I loved the pink with yellow stones in the band - but that last one with the whites…

Personally I like it when the halo colour repeats into the shank; so whether you do pink or white halo with a pink or white shank, I think both would look gorgeous.

I feel like white and yellow 2-tone is more wearable for my wardrobe than pink and yellow; but the pink lemonade pop is lovely! You can’t go wrong.

Yellow and white is always going to be a classic look, so you can’t go wrong there, if that’s what you decide. You have to do what feels right for you. I personally love the yellow and pink color combo because I love color (and let’s be real, your mock ups look fabulous!). I don’t find it chaotic at all, and I think it would give the ring such a fun vibe. My personal preference is for the yellow inner, pink outer, and yellow shank. :mrgreen:

Edit to add: Can we see a pic of your new diamond? You know for “research” purposes.

I loved the pink/yellow, but …..
You had me at yellow and white :kiss2:

Just yellow is monochromatic and takes itself too seriously. The pop of pink is playful and fun, a good contrast. I would vote for the yellow under pink halos and yellow in the shank. With single claw prongs.

Thank you! That was what I was planning on. I want a fun playful piece. I agree with single claws! Thanks for the reassurance.

I loved the pink with yellow stones in the band - but that last one with the whites…

I know right! It looks so good!

Personally I like it when the halo colour repeats into the shank; so whether you do pink or white halo with a pink or white shank, I think both would look gorgeous.

I feel like white and yellow 2-tone is more wearable for my wardrobe than pink and yellow; but the pink lemonade pop is lovely! You can’t go wrong.

So if I do pink outer halo then pink shank as well? Im teetering back and forth.

Yellow and white is always going to be a classic look, so you can’t go wrong there, if that’s what you decide. You have to do what feels right for you. I personally love the yellow and pink color combo because I love color (and let’s be real, your mock ups look fabulous!). I don’t find it chaotic at all, and I think it would give the ring such a fun vibe. My personal preference is for the yellow inner, pink outer, and yellow shank. :mrgreen:

Edit to add: Can we see a pic of your new diamond? You know for “research” purposes.

The yellow and white is so classy but my goal was to make this a fun piece. Here’s the stone! I will probably take more pictures later. It is a sparkle bomb in person! IMG_1439.jpeg

GET 3 FREE HCA RESULTS JOIN THE FORUM. ASK FOR HELP