shape
carat
color
clarity

designer sunglasses - what do you have/recommend?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
And Holly, they likely were. There are a few manufacturers of frames, and any company can put their logo on them. Luxotica makes many of the high end designer frames. The actual frames cost very little, it is the name of the designer on them that ramps up the price. Kind of makes you sick to think about the mark up.

miraclesrule

Ideal_Rock
D''oH!! $500 bucks for something I will end up leaving in a taxi like I did my Versace''s.

DiamondFan, do you know where I can find more sunglasses with rose colored lenses that won''t cost me an arm and a leg?

It''s so hard to find them anymore.
8.gif

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
Miracles, the only company that I see doing it is Oliver Peoples and an offshoot of Op (old employee who started a sunglass company, cannot recall the name). If in my travels I see something I will let you know...of course, are you being serious or asking for them to help view the world a bit better?!

miraclesrule

Ideal_Rock
LOL, probably both. I really do like the view better. Every time I put on my other sunglasses, which actually look better on me than my Fendi''s, I take them off, because I want my rose-colored lens.

It makes the green greener, something we are now lacking in San Diego. Not much greenery anymore.
7.gif

And if you know what a matchy-matchy person I was, you would know that it is a big deal for me to forego my black/silver frames for brown/gold when I am wearing black with silver jewelry.
23.gif

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
I hate when my sunglasses and purse hardware conflict with my jewelry. I might get these People''s in brown just so I have the option.

SALT is the optical line that was a former Oliver People''s designer. They have rose colored aviators on their site. Not sure of price, not inexpensive though.

Whatever makes things work is great...a little rose tint can go a long way!

miraclesrule

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/5/2008 11:30:32 PM
Author: diamondfan
I hate when my sunglasses and purse hardware conflict with my jewelry. I might get these People's in brown just so I have the option.

SALT is the optical line that was a former Oliver People's designer. They have rose colored aviators on their site. Not sure of price, not inexpensive though.

Whatever makes things work is great...a little rose tint can go a long way!
Ditto!!

I'll look into SALT. I need rose colored lens in a black frame with silver hardware in a very big way.

Thank You!!!
36.gif

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
M, I think they are aviators so no plastic. But you can certainly ask if they have other options with the rose tinted lens. I know Oliver does them as well but his glasses are a bit more expensive.

Carbonlove

Rough_Rock
Date: 7/5/2008 11:30:32 PM
I hate when my sunglasses and purse hardware conflict with my jewelry.

Me too! DF if you ever have a sale of your old stuff I'm there!!! PS. How do you highlight?

Beacon

Ideal_Rock
Very true, Luxottica makes most of the frames, even the new ones from Tiffany.

But one that I like a lot is the Louis Vuitton sunglasses. Both my DH and I use them. Some, (but not all) of their lenses are made by Zeiss, a very fine prescription quality maker. These are specially marked with a small, almost invisible symbol on the lenses and they are very nice to use. The LV SA will know which ones have this.

Even w/o the "Landscape vision", which is what they call the Zeiss product, they do interesting things. For example, they make sunglasses for Asian and non Asian faces, in the same style. You can tell which is which by examining the code on the arm of the sunglass. Those for flatter, more Asian noses will have an "E" at the end of the code. The other will have a "W" (for western) at the end.

I think this is quite cool and I really like certain of their styles. They cost a ton, but what would you expect. They pay alot of attention to the details.

LuckyTexan

Brilliant_Rock
I only wear one pair at a time. I have a pair of Gucci tortoise shell plastics with the horsebit side... and they are in my dresser in their case not being worn at all because at the start of summer I got these... and I LOVE THEM!

ETA... SORRY THAT PIC IS HUGE!!!!

chanelsunglasses2008.jpg

LuckyTexan

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/5/2008 10:50:38 PM
Author: miraclesrule
D''oH!! $500 bucks for something I will end up leaving in a taxi like I did my Versace''s.

DiamondFan, do you know where I can find more sunglasses with rose colored lenses that won''t cost me an arm and a leg?

It''s so hard to find them anymore.
8.gif
Mine are rose colored and I LOVE them! Sorry... they cost me an arm, a leg, and part of my left ear.
41.gif

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
Zeiss does lenses for binoculars too, right?

I just got Loree Rodkin glasses, in this olive/teal color with a skull on the side. They are gorgeous.

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
Carbon, I should. I have so much stuff that clutters up my closet but I am also a pack rat so it is hard for me to give things up. Always feel like the moment I do I will need it or want it back.

Carbonlove

Rough_Rock
DF, that must just mean you have fab pieces. I clean my closet like crazy. I always wish I could just start from scratch.

Lucky, I have those glasses and love them! I like them in black too! Was tempted to get both!

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
Carbon, I do have some lovely things. I buy high end items and hold on to them for the most part. I have been known to give my 19 year old niece things when I no longer need them, but not my designer items. She has some amazing Nanette Lepore, Theory, Tracey Reese, etc, from when I was thinner in the last couple of years, and she also got a ton of my size 28 jeans (I am in a 29 or 30 now) and she is very happy. I happen to love designer sunglasses as well, and every season I buy a few pairs. These Loree Rodkins that I just got are amazing and very different which I love. No one where I live has them.

Beacon

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/24/2008 2:23:05 PM
Zeiss does lenses for binoculars too, right?

I just got Loree Rodkin glasses, in this olive/teal color with a skull on the side. They are gorgeous.
Yes, and even microscopes too. Lots of medical application optics as well.

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
their lenses must be quite good.

I know Maui Jim makes the best polarized lenses and they are starting to get into more fashion frames too which is nice.

SarahLovesJS

Ideal_Rock
I know this isn''t in your list really..but I personally love Chanel. I''ve had prescription Chanel sunglasses going on 3 years and they are STILL holding up. I wear them every day (sometimes even in the rain..I am a dork). Don''t get me wrong the inside of the nose is finally losing its paint, but I''ve dropped them probably 100 times and they still hold up.

ladypirate

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/29/2008 5:47:42 PM
their lenses must be quite good.

I know Maui Jim makes the best polarized lenses and they are starting to get into more fashion frames too which is nice.

I love Maui Jims! Super super comfy and they have some cute styles (although a bit more sporty than designer).

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
After 10 years, I finally splashed out and bought a pair of Chanels.

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
Sarah, I love them though their lens quality is so so. They are mostly a fashion frame. I have more pairs than I care to think about because it seems each season they have so many nice ones that look good on my face. I also love Oliver Peoples and Marc Jacobs.

Once I started to need reading glasses I ended up with 5 pairs of them, all Chanel. I keep on at my desk, on by my bed, one in my purse and one in my car, plus one extra. I think they are so fashionable for opthalmics that I went a bit nuts. I hated the idea of reading glasses so I figured it would be fun to make them stylish.

SarahLovesJS

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/1/2008 1:50:26 PM
Sarah, I love them though their lens quality is so so. They are mostly a fashion frame. I have more pairs than I care to think about because it seems each season they have so many nice ones that look good on my face. I also love Oliver Peoples and Marc Jacobs.

Once I started to need reading glasses I ended up with 5 pairs of them, all Chanel. I keep on at my desk, on by my bed, one in my purse and one in my car, plus one extra. I think they are so fashionable for opthalmics that I went a bit nuts. I hated the idea of reading glasses so I figured it would be fun to make them stylish.

Sounds good to me!! I am kind of frustrated now..I''ve grown so attached to them that I can''t find another pair I like. They don''t make the same ones anymore..and it''s so frustrating.
15.gif
Their lifespan flashes before my eyes often. Yesterday my sunglasses fell off of my shirt and onto the floor (I was leaning over to get something out of my bag) and one of the other people at the meeting was stepping on them..I could see her foot moving slowly toward my glasses as I yelled out "NO, NO, BAD, BAD, BAD!!" but needless to say she wasn''t listening and stepped on them like twice before I got them.
29.gif
29.gif
29.gif
Anyway, the glasses are fine. And it''s funny that I yelled that out and she DIDN''T NOTICE...I didn''t mean to yell at her like a dog.
40.gif
Anyway, yay for durability!
36.gif
31.gif

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think they are lovely glasses, but an optician told me that Maui Jim''s have the best lenses overall. But MJ was less about fashion and more about the lenses. I would have freaked if someone stepped on my favorites, especially if they are not ones that you can get again.

I bought many many pairs this summer, including Chanel, two Oliver Peoples, a Marc Jacobs, the Tiffany''s which were a FORTUNE but gorgeous, and a pair of Loree Rodkin''s which were only slightly less pricey than the Tiffany''s. I took NONE of them to the beach, as I am so worried about ruining them. I wore my Oakley''s with the polarized lenses, the Oil Drums, which I keep in my car for emergencies!!! That is what a weirdo I am, because I will wear my nice ones at home where there is no sand and oil and lotion on me...but here I want to have something I can throw in my beach bag and not worry about.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results