shape
carat
color
clarity

designer sunglasses - what do you have/recommend?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

basil

Brilliant_Rock
I''m thinking about buying a nice pair of sunglasses this summer and for my honeymoon. I can basically get them at cost through work. The brands they carry are Gucci, Christian Dior, Juicy Couture, Kate Spade, Diesel, and Jimmy Choo.

Any recommendations? I have a small/narrow head, so nothing too huge.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think you really just need to try them on for yourself and see what you like!

basil

Brilliant_Rock
I know. But I can''t right now and I want to think about it anyway!
1.gif

I was mainly just curious as to what other people had and if there were any quality differences between brands...

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
Hi, I worked in the optical industry for several years so I feel I can actually give you GOOD info on this, not just an opinion!!

First off, if you work in a retail store that sells these brands, you''re going to get an inferior lens than if you buy through an optical store. Their generic lenses are similar quality to that of Target or Walmart. If you have good luck with those lenses and the visibility, you''ll be fine. If you''re very sensitive to optics (I am very sensitive to waves or variations in thickness) you''ll want to get a good lens instead.

I have Gucci and Kate Spade sunglasses along with Burberry, Ralph Lauren and a few others. (like I said, I worked in the industry for a while
2.gif
) My Gucci''s are still perfect and I''ve had them for 3+yrs. They aren''t made anymore but they''re gorgeous! They have a plum colored lens (which is great for overcast days) and they are plum with sage and gold metal accents. They''re reasonably comfortable but they pinch on my nose a bit (they''re plastic). Gucci doesn''t have many bridge (nose) measurements so you either fit them or you don''t. My Kate Spades are very comfortable and cute black and white pattern down the side with a black front and black/gray variated lenses. The only trouble I have with these is they come out of shape fairly quickly. However, it''s a quick adjustment at any optical shop, and it''s always free. Christian Dior appear to be really great, too, as far as holding shape, looking good, wearing well. Gucci, Kate Spade, and Christian Dior are (or at least WERE) all made by the same parent company, and they''re a top of the line manufacturer. Diesel, I''ve had nothing but problems with. I had several guys wearing them and they were always out of adjustment, and while adjusting you could see where they were weakened from constant wear and tear. I don''t know about Juicy or Jimmy sunglasses. I actually don''t even know who makes them.

I''ll see what I can find later if you want.

Do you like round/square/small/larger?? Jackie O, Hippie, simple, elegant??

For a small narrow head, I''d go with a rectangular(not too sharp of corners though) in a plastic with detail on the sides. If you want something more funky, go with red or white plastic.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

I recently bought a pair oif Gucci sunglasses that look fab--but the larger plastic frame deems them a bit heavier and I get those red marks on my nose....which I don;''t get from my lighter weight plastic D & C''s. I think style/shape is more a factor than brand--try a bunch on!

cheers--Sharon

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have somewhat of a sunglass obsession

I love Chanel, Gucci and Marc Jacobs and Dior. I have a small more narrow face but I do love the larger, chic look. I am sure small will be coming back in style, but I am now used to and loving the larger look, plus it protects better. I have to try on, though, as some things look great and some look awful. Shape and color really matter. I can wear large if it is not TOO round and bug like. I also LOVE Oliver Peoples, they are usually more subtle and lightweight, but they are stunning in a more minimal way.

I just got Chanels that are more wrap around shield like with camellias on the sides in crystals.

I just got Guccis that are also shield like, metal with rimless gradient lenses and the bamboo on the sides. I also have them in the plastic but think they can feel heavy on my nose.

I also got the Chanels that are in all of the ads, black plastic, with little small sparkly icons on the sides, all of her favorite things.

I got a pair of Diors that also have little sparkly things on the sides.

I buy many pairs a season, as I have a serious addiction. I get black and brown so I can switch them easily with what I am wearing.

But for sports, I buy Oakleys, Smiths, Revos and the ones Danica Patrick wears (I cannot recall the name). They now make more fashion forward larger stuff, but are 100% UV A and B protective as well as having many polarized options. Anytime I will be near water or a lot of glare I like the polarized. I have been pleasantly surprised at how many of the these firms are now realizing thay can do really fashionable looking eyewear without compromising the functionality of the glasses.

basil

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for the info!

Somethingshiny - I would be getting them from an optical shop. That''s interesting that the lens quality differs in the same glasses whether sold at an optical shop or sold retail. I''ll definitely stay away from Diesel, which is fine cause a lot of their styles look very masculine to me anyway. I definitely want something classic rather than trendy, not too large or too round, and preferably with plastic frames. My regular glasses are sort of oval with squared-off edges, and I think that shape is the most flattering on me.

diamondfan - your collection sounds fabulous! I''m glad that there are other people with smallish faces who are able to wear bigger sunglasses, cause I wasn''t sure if I could pull it off. Out of all your pairs, have you noticed any difference in the quality or durability?

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
It really depends on the style. I find the rimless most fragile. I have, I am ashamed to admit it, at least 100 pairs of sunglasses that I have bought in the last few years. I think the high end ones are so stylish. If you want really classic, without a ton of glitzy stuff, I think Tom Ford is great. BTW I meant I have the Tom Ford's, not Marc Jacobs. I have a serious addiction, it seems like each spring and summer I buy a few. I also got the Tiffany's with the sterling sun design. They were super expensive but I really like them. They have some nice frames too. I buy all of my glasses from an optometrist or department store like Saks, Neimans or Nordstroms, not a Sunglass Hut. I did not know the lenses were any different, I figured if you buy Chanel it is the same. I also like Persols, but have not seen any of their current styles. I have never seen Jimmy Choo, as the store I shop at does not carry them, but I would love to see them.

Luxotica and Safilo make most of the glasses out there. They are the company that these designers have manufacturing their product.

I think it really is so dependent on how something looks ON. I have put stuff on I thought would look awful and I loved them and vice versa. I need a specific shape and size, I can do big, but it has to be a certain proportion. I am always amazed at what I like once I have it on. But I HATE the big round circles, and I hate white frames on me. I tend to like black, but also by dark brown and tortoise. The Tom Ford Jennifer is cool and there are a few cool colors.

I have also put nicer lenses in, but it is very pricey to do that. I think Serengeti and Maui Jim and Revo have exceptional lense quality, but less fashionable looks (though this IS changing) versus a Chanel or Prada which is more a fashion frame.

I also just got into Chanel readers as I need reading glasses and theirs are so stylish.

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
DF~ Your collection sounds fantastic!! I never kept count of all the glasses I had. I''ve given a bunch away, ya know, after like 2 seasons of non-wear...
20.gif

basil~ If you''re unable to order a bunch and try them on, a good way to find your proper fit is by looking at the numbers on your regular glasses. On the inside of the frame''s bridge, or down the temple you''ll find measurements. Something like 46-18-135. The first number is the width in mm of the lens, the 2nd is the width of the bridge, and the last is the length of the temples (straight). Since you''re narrow, you may have like a 16 bridge which is harder to find, and you may also have short temples like 130 instead of an avg length of 140. If you''re ordering through optical, you''ll have the advantage of specifying size from their availability. Most manufacturers make the same frame in at least 2-3 sizes and as many as 6 sizes. They usually also have various temple lengths available. Plastic frames generally have a smaller bridge and wider eye size. But, most of the time there is a bit of wrap to the frame so you don''t "see" the entire width of the lens.

THIS pair is really cute and would work on almost anyone. THESE are more trendy but really cute. CLASSIC , simple, and elegant. FUN ! HERE is a page of Kate Spade. So many are cute, I really like the Berkely at the bottom.

That''s all for now.

1.gif

miraclesrule

Ideal_Rock
Holy Smokes Diamond Fan!! You are to eyewear what Freke is to shoes.
10.gif

I can''t imagine having 100 of anything...except dollar bills. Except books.

I find the sunglass hunt to be very daunting. I have issues with the way my eyebrows show over the top of the them. They always make my sunglasses look crooked. So, I have to try on a LOT of them.

I also prefer "rose-colored" lenses and not very many designers use them anymore. I have a great pair of Fendi''s that I love. Two great pair actually. I also keep a few black pair available for fashion purposes.

After losing my Versace''s within the first week after I got them, I swore I would never buy expensive sunglasses again, but I tried the cheap ones at Target and they always catch my hair when I put them on my head and the lenses are awful. So, I went back and replaced the Versaces and left them in a taxi within a year.
39.gif

Now, I''m down to the 4 pair I use regularly. Two brown, two black.

I do tthink that Revo made the best rose colored lense sunglasses EVER...too bad theirs are so small. I think it''s best to go with a lot of coverage to shield your eyes against glare and wrinkles from squinting.

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
Miracles, I am a bit on the obsessive side. I also hate when my brows show over the top, which is why I like the larger ones, but I do have to try on lots. It seems like some days there are many that look good, so if I am being a bad girl I take them all. I would say I do have a compulsion. I have bought the same pair twice, thankfully I can return them, but I get them home and it is funny that I have the same ones in my drawer. I also do that with lipstick too! I am very finicky about the overall style and fit, but lately have been able to find many that I like. I used to lose things more often but I am much better about keeping track for some reason.

I had a bunch of older glasses, some Versaces, some Givenchys, that were the smaller style. I gave a bunch of them to my step sister and niece. They look so great on them, but on me, I guess I am just used to bigger glasses now, cause I thought they looked awful on me.

I also think bigger watches look better now, though there is such a thing as TOO big on me. But my older smaller ones I just do not wear anymore.

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/26/2008 2:04:18 AM
Author: diamondfan
Miracles, I am a bit on the obsessive side. I also hate when my brows show over the top, which is why I like the larger ones, but I do have to try on lots. It seems like some days there are many that look good, so if I am being a bad girl I take them all. I would say I do have a compulsion. I have bought the same pair twice, thankfully I can return them, but I get them home and it is funny that I have the same ones in my drawer. I also do that with lipstick too! I am very finicky about the overall style and fit, but lately have been able to find many that I like. I used to lose things more often but I am much better about keeping track for some reason.

I had a bunch of older glasses, some Versaces, some Givenchys, that were the smaller style. I gave a bunch of them to my step sister and niece. They look so great on them, but on me, I guess I am just used to bigger glasses now, cause I thought they looked awful on me.

I also think bigger watches look better now, though there is such a thing as TOO big on me. But my older smaller ones I just do not wear anymore.

Oh my God-I HATE when my eyebrows show over the tops of my sunglasses, too! No one I know in real life is like that! Hilarious! I actually know someone who hates it when her eyebrows DON''T show...I was like "Are you crazy?! They should NEVER show!"

I don''t have much experience with the brands you have access to, basil. I also have a small/narrow head and the brand that fits me most often is Marc by Marc Jacobs-they all seem to run pretty small as far as fit, but there are still a lot of oversized styles, which I like. Plus they''re reasonably priced, so I don''t sweat it if I drop them or whatever. I''m a sunglasses breaker/loser, so I try not to get super expensive ones! Right now I''m wearing the classic mid sized Ray Ban aviator, but I had to get the arms bent in so they would stay on my head.

sputat

Rough_Rock
Whenever I''m in a department store, I always find myself checking out the sunglasses section. I have maybe 3 that are in constant rotation and the rest were a bit of impulse purchase on my part.

I do find that the sunnies I tend to gravitate more and use often are the ones that at are less stylish but with better lenses. My faves at the moment: Linda Farrow, Serengeti and YSL. My more popular designer ones (D&G, Burberry, Versace, Marc Jacobs, etc.) are collecting dust. I always toy with the idea of buying my first Chanels but I don''t know if I want to plunk down that kind of money for fashion (vs function).

Go and try different styles to see what suits you and have fun with it. I hear wonderful stuff about Tom Ford sunglasses.

I buy mine from department stores but after reading the lens variation, I''d definitely check out sunglasses from an optical store next. I really appreciate learning something new reading PF threads.

omieluv

Ideal_Rock
OMG, I thought I was the only one who hates it when my eyebrows show over the top! It is like the first thing I look at when trying on sunglasses.

SquareCut

Shiny_Rock
OOh! I love sunglasses and have been shopping for them all week. I also won''t wear sunglasses that let my eyebrows show. Diamond Fan, I would love to have your collection! My Tom Ford Jennifers broke and I''m looking for a pair that fits like them and is lightweight and comfortable like them. Any recommendations? I just bought a pair of cute Missoni metal sunglasses, but they''re a bit heavy and leave the red marks on my nose, which I hate.

CaféHummingbird

Rough_Rock
I have Chanel, Guuci, Prada, and Christian Dior. I have two pairs of Coach sunglasses that I wear more now than anything else because they are the perfect size.

I''ve had the Gucci the longest (about four years now, I think) and they still look as perfect as they did the day I got them. I''m looking at a Burberry pair for my birthday in a few weeks.

brazen_irish_hussy

Ideal_Rock
If you have a smaller or round face, I have one suggestion that makes all the difference for me. Look at the sunglasses when they are jst sitting. If they are very straight acroos the front, they will look off on either face type; this is unfortunate as most sunglasses are cut like that. Some though, are much rounder which I find not only protect my eyes better, but they look better and stay on better.

Ice Princess Cristy

Shiny_Rock
What''s funny about brands is that it seems.... to me at least... that I tend to stick with 1 or 2 that ALWAYS look great on me. I have 2 Gucci and 2 Versace. I have tried very hard to find prada or chanel that looked good on me, but I always feel like I am compromising just to get the name (although my eye glasses are chanel and prada.... strange). Whenever I try on a pair of gucci or versace they look great. I can even order without trying on and hit it on the head. I think when buying sunglasses at first it''s really a matter of trying them on and seeing which brand tends to create ones that "fit" you.
Good luck! I love sunglass shopping but have had to promise DH and self only 1 pair per year.....
15.gif
hence, only 4 so far.....
I can''t wait to hear what you decided on!

Bev

Shiny_Rock
I have had my chanels for 3 years now and they are in perfect condition. I absolutely love them! Before the Chanels I had a pair of Pradas that were great, too. For me, it was really just about finding a pair that looked good on me! Good luck!

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
I used to do the super-cheapies as I was a breaker/loser, but as I''ve been getting better about that I''ve started looking at the nicer ones. I have a very small face - I used to buy kids'' sunglasses sometimes so they wouldn''t look silly. But I''ve gotten more and more into the large ones.

My current faves are actually a pair of Yves St Laurent (RIP) - they are super comfy, lightweight, but give great coverage and are large enough to be (IMO) glamorous.

lovelylulu

Ideal_Rock
i heart my raybans. classic. comfortable.

ephemery1

Brilliant_Rock
I have a pair of Prada glasses that I LOVE, several Gucci that have held up well over the years (and came from TJ Maxx originally, so possibly imperfect to begin with!), and some sportier Maui Jims. If possible, I would DEFINITELY suggest getting polarized lenses... after trying them, you''ll be totally spoiled and never want to go back to regular lenses, I swear. Have fun choosing!
10.gif

pennquaker09

Brilliant_Rock
I''m not allowed to buy sunglasses. I habitually loose them. I wear glasses (sometimes contacts), so I have to get prescription lenses. Right now, I''m really loving these Ray Bans that my stepmom got for me. Other than that, I love me some Dior.

Krissie

Brilliant_Rock
If I had my choice, I''d get some Dior. I just love they way they look and feel. I have a pair of Fendis that are really comfy, and then some bright white Ralph Lauren ones that I get compliments on from time to time.

Giada

Shiny_Rock
I''ll put in a vote here for Chanel.

I have the pair below and I love them! They look great with jeans or my business suits.

shades.jpg

dani13

Ideal_Rock
I have a pair of Marc Jacobs sunglasses that I purchased about 2 yrs ago....love them!!!! They are really cute and actually the lenses are great too!!!
2.gif

beau13

Ideal_Rock
I LOVE my Gucci plastic tortoise shell glasses. I got them at the beginning of May, and I'm kind of hard on them, but they still look GREAT! They are very durable, I love the color of the lens..not too dark, not too light. The style number is 2933..kinda hard to get a good view of them when they're sitting on my head, I will try to find them online, and post a better pic!

Gucci girl.jpg

beau13

Ideal_Rock
Here they are..much better pic!

Gucci_2933-S_0086-(DA).jpg

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love Oliver Peoples too. Just got a great pair in Nantucket and I am really liking them. Not blingy but a great shape and style. I think they are called the Dulaine and I got the black.

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
Since I''ve lost so many pairs of sunglasses over the years, I wouldn''t dream of spending a couple hundred dollars on designer shades. But, I do spend time and effort looking for similar styles for less. Case in point: I walked into a Swarovski boutique the other day, picked up a pair of sunglasses, noticed the price was $495. , and pointed out to the saleslady that aside from the crystals, they looked exactly like my outlet purchased Fossil shades (for 9.99). She agreed with me!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results