shape
carat
color
clarity

Designer setting on Ebay - good idea?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

thelittleroo

Rough_Rock
Hello all -

I''m thrilled to have found this website! I can''t thank everyone enough for the information I''ve read so far! I never knew what I didn''t know!

Anyway, so now I know I won''t buy a center stone on Ebay (unless it''s part of a setting I want that''s underpriced...) but I was curious if anyone could give me their opinions on buying the e-ring/band on Ebay?

I love Verragio, and knowing that Verragio puts F-G/ VS1 side stones into their mounts, is it reasonable to expect that the ring setting will be fine with a high quality diamond I''m putting in?

I guess my fear is, how risky is it that an individual seller might switch out a dozen 25 pointers? Not very likely, eh?

Thanks!

avlis

Shiny_Rock
my personal opinion is buying anything over $10 on ebay is never a good idea. something as important as an ering should not be purchased with the kind of uncertainty that ebay injects into every transaction they sponsor.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/28/2007 9:14:39 AM
Author: avlis
my personal opinion is buying anything over $10 on ebay is never a good idea. something as important as an ering should not be purchased with the kind of uncertainty that ebay injects into every transaction they sponsor.
Well said.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/28/2007 9:17:26 AM
Author: Ellen
Date: 7/28/2007 9:14:39 AM

Author: avlis

Well said.

I agree too. I think the bigger issue with buying a setting on ebay is what if the structural integrity of the setting has been compromised by an accident and then repaired, but not up to their standards? You have NO idea what the prior life of something was on ebay and I would be worried in buying something subpar.

I am pretty sure that Good Old Gold is a Verragio vendor. They are GREAT and will probably give you the cheapest legit price out there.

thelittleroo

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the words of wisdom... Bummer, I was hoping that using an appraiser would mitigate some of the risk of abuse or misrepresentation. But if the mindset of such an educated group says it''s not worth the risk, I will have to rethink my options.

Could you take a look at this setting and tell me what you think about it, and if it''s not a good idea to buy on ebay, are there any other similar settings that are close to it? The first is a Verragio I was watching, the second is a Scott Kay I''m still kicking myself for not pouncing on....

Thanks!

Verragio
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=260143323680&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=016

Scott Kay
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=260135816462&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=016

echelon6

Shiny_Rock
Date: 7/28/2007 10:06:40 AM
Author: thelittleroo
Thanks for the words of wisdom... Bummer, I was hoping that using an appraiser would mitigate some of the risk of abuse or misrepresentation. But if the mindset of such an educated group says it''s not worth the risk, I will have to rethink my options.

Could you take a look at this setting and tell me what you think about it, and if it''s not a good idea to buy on ebay, are there any other similar settings that are close to it? The first is a Verragio I was watching, the second is a Scott Kay I''m still kicking myself for not pouncing on....

Thanks!

Verragio
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=260143323680&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=016

Scott Kay
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=260135816462&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=016

Ebay is always a bad idea for non petty-cash purchases. Both sellers have a low feedback count (the first one has under 10, and a negative already). There''s nothing stopping them from not delivering. Consider this:

You pay seller, seller ships you a box of rocks, via registered post. He has a tracking number to prove that he shipped SOMETHING, and you have a box of rocks which you claim you recieved from the seller. Its his word against yours, and there''s no witnesses, no nothing. At best, he gets a negative feedback from you, and runs away with your $6,999. I''ve seen it happen many times. Ebay is pathetic at fighting scammers, especially of this nature.

Now, if you pay with paypal, that might help a bit, since Ebay tends to side with the buyer (they are scared of chargebacks filed by the buyer). But then you''re limited to whatever Ebay can grab from the seller''s paypal account. (assuming you are able to prove you''ve been scammed). Nothing stopping the seller from waiting until the funds clear into his bank account, withdraw the money, then ship you your box of rocks.

Conclusion: where there is a will to scam, Ebay provides a way. Highly UNrecommended for any sort of major purchase.

MustangGal

Ideal_Rock
I bought a Scott Kay mounting on ebay last year from a seller with only like 20 feedback. I made sure to communicate with him and got a good feeling, and snagged a $1,500 mounting for $300.

You just have to be careful, and always be aware that you might be out the money if it doesn''t work.

thelittleroo

Rough_Rock
I tried to edit my first post to add that I would only buy a ring on Ebay if I met the seller in person at a jewelers with an appraiser on hand to verify the ring is what it''s supposed to be. No way would I send money to a stranger for a transaction greater than $100!

That said, is there any value in searching Ebay for a Verragio or Scott Kay setting? For less than $500, I can fly to the seller and have the ring appraised before I pay for it.

Thanks!

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
I would probably consider it if the seller had good feedback. I''d definitely pay with a credit card so the charges could be reversed if something went wrong or the setting was misrepresented but if your ebay savy it could be a way to get a setting at a great price. I almost bought a michael b setting there a few years back and lost the auction at the last second but the person who won got a 3K setting for $500.

hedarud

Shiny_Rock
The general concensus among most forums is that ebay is a bad way to go, I disagree 100% . I have had very positive experiences on ebay, a few rules to follow. Limit purchases to trusted sellers, look at their feedback, see how long they have been at ebay, etc. Dont buy a 10,000 item from someone who has sold 130 pieces of a laser LED key chain....duh, if someone sells only low value items and suddenly has some exquiste thing, it may be a scam. 3rd, use paypal and only if the seller is verified. Deal with in US people it makes it easier. Ebay has a bad rep, it is not justly so. That is exactly where my wife's ring it going to go for sale !!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results