shape
carat
color
clarity

Design Opinions on my Toi et Moi

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
This is the story of a lovely .75 carat RB that has happily lived on my hand since 2005. Set into a Scott Kay solitaire in 2008, that setting has had a good run... and now it's time for a change. I'm sentimental though, and even though the lovely RB isn't up to Pricescope specs, it's very loved by me, and I'm not willing to part with it. And I don't wear pendants, so a necklace is out.

Enter... the Toi et Moi. I was in a brick and mortar store looking at settings for re-set ideas, and she suggested I try on a Toi et Moi. Surely not, I thought. There's no way I'd like such a thing...

And here are the CADs for my Toi et Moi. :mrgreen:

My husband and I are polar opposites. Literally. If you know the Meyer's Briggs, I'm an ENFJ and he's an ISTP. Literal opposites. So, if the earth mined RB represents me... he's totally a Lab Emerald.

The whole process I've envisioned the emerald on a tilt. But the more I look at it... the more I think it might drive me nuts. I've not been a fan of the straight side by side, but the more I look at it, the more I think it might be the way to go. And yes, I've asked for a revised CAD.

I'm also running into an issue of quality lab stones from WF starting at 1.4 carats or so. With the tilt, that feels too big. Side by side... might not be, based on a few inspiration pics. So... thoughts?

To tilt... or not to tilt!?!

My CAD:

Toi et Moi CAD.JPG

And a few side by side options.

SR1424REC-PL88-WG-1.png Side by Side 2.PNG

Here's the ring that started it all (not my stone pictured):

Two stone ring.jpg

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Look at the ring on rocky talk with your design. It looks like perfection.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like it best withOUT the emerald cut tilted. The toi et moi styles I’ve seen with stones tilted usually involve pears, and those look nice tilted because of the narrower end sort of hugging the other stone. A rectangular cut just doesn’t have the same visual effect on tilt.

It’s gonna be a cool ring, regardless! Love the opposite personalities thing and using your OG stone in the new one.

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
Look at the ring on rocky talk with your design. It looks like perfection.
I just saw that when I did a search and... I agree! It's stunning! I do like the legato heads on my CAD, but other than that... Yup!

I like it best withOUT the emerald cut tilted. The toi et moi styles I’ve seen with stones tilted usually involve pears, and those look nice tilted because of the narrower end sort of hugging the other stone. A rectangular cut just doesn’t have the same visual effect on tilt.

It’s gonna be a cool ring, regardless! Love the opposite personalities thing and using your OG stone in the new one.

Thank you! I'm stoked about it. And I agree; title makes more sense with a pear or marquise.

Thanks for chiming in. Im almost sold on no tilt, LOL.

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
Have you considered a "cuff" style instead? It's the same thing, but a space between the stones. That might change if you like it on a tilt, or might make you like the straight set more so. Jemma Wynne on insta has a lot of these to look at.

Thank you for the suggestion! For what is essentially my engagement ring, I'm not a fan of the cuff style. As a RHR, for sure!

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
No suggestions because I rely on others for help with CADs, but I love your inspiration pic and your plans. It is going to be a gorgeous ring and so excited for you.

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
Alright folks. This is not a drill. Here's candidate #2 for my Toi et Moi. E, VVS2, 1.23carat. CVD, but that doesn't bother me. It definitely does the hall of mirrors thing, which the last one didn't. Let me know what you think. And also... now I'm debating between a Toi et Moi, or just two simple solitaires that I can choose to stack, or not, depending on my mood. Thoughts? I have video, but not sure how to post.

It feels like a good match to my existing stone:

PXL_20230717_215243939 (1).jpg

PXL_20230717_230530177.jpg
PXL_20230717_220713926.jpg

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
@cushioncutnut how is your emerald search going? I'm gonna stop. This one is pretty, and I'll drive myself nuts if I keep going, LOL.

cushioncutnut

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Alright folks. This is not a drill. Here's candidate #2 for my Toi et Moi. E, VVS2, 1.23carat. CVD, but that doesn't bother me. It definitely does the hall of mirrors thing, which the last one didn't. Let me know what you think. And also... now I'm debating between a Toi et Moi, or just two simple solitaires that I can choose to stack, or not, depending on my mood. Thoughts? I have video, but not sure how to post.

It feels like a good match to my existing stone:

PXL_20230717_215243939 (1).jpg

PXL_20230717_230530177.jpg
PXL_20230717_220713926.jpg

That looks lovely and hpht is hard to find. I will post an update soon. I ended up buying a pre-made ring with side traps. The emerald cut is 3.64 cts E, VVS2....we shall see! Trying not to get my hopes up too high! Good return policy so I am not going to worry too much.

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
It looks good at work, too. We had fun playing today, LOL.

PXL_20230718_192001517.jpg PXL_20230718_191940158.jpg

Attachments

• PXL_20230718_115135072.jpg
    PXL_20230718_115135072.jpg
    191.7 KB · Views: 12

cushioncutnut

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Updated CAD, with actual dimensions: :razz:
Straight CAD..PNG

I like it but I guess I am use to seeing one at an angle or higher than the other so I tend to gravitate towards that style.

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
I like it but I guess I am use to seeing one at an angle or higher than the other so I tend to gravitate towards that style.

Same. And that was the original plan. And if I had picked a different shape, I'd do that. I kinda like the side by side symbolism here. Plus I can flip it around easily without worrying about the tilt. I was looking at the tilt option, and it was gonna drive me nuts for daily wear.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That’s a beautiful EC. I hope you stick with the moi et toi/same ring design. I’ve seen people stack solitaires before and it drives me nuts because I imagine how much the separate rings scratch each other. Also spinning…they never quite stay where you want them unless you solder them together and that defeats the purpose of stacking.

Does this have to be a forever setting? If not I’d go for the MET for sure and if you decide down the road you want something else it’s not necessarily some elaborate setting you’ll hate to part with.

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
That’s a beautiful EC. I hope you stick with the moi et toi/same ring design. I’ve seen people stack solitaires before and it drives me nuts because I imagine how much the separate rings scratch each other. Also spinning…they never quite stay where you want them unless you solder them together and that defeats the purpose of stacking.

Does this have to be a forever setting? If not I’d go for the MET for sure and if you decide down the road you want something else it’s not necessarily some elaborate setting you’ll hate to part with.

I'm definitely loving the EC now that I've learned a little more, LOL. And I came to the same conclusion about the stacked solitaires; the spinning would make me a crazy person. :???:

Does this have to be a forever setting... No. But that's a recent development. It's interesting; for 17 years DH has been completely anti upgrade. He was extremely sentimental about the diamond he proposed with. Regardless of it's pre-pricescope less than stellar cut, LOL.

And I love it too, although I do sometimes wonder what it'd look like if I followed through and had BGD recut it for me (I'd lose a lot of the carat weight; they estimated it would go from .75 to somewhere in the .6 range).

This got rambly. Long story shorter, after I landed on the two stone concept that let me upgrade while keeping the same stone, and was allllll the way down the rabbit hole, DH decides to tell me I could just get a new ring if I want.

I'm sentimental enough, and I like this idea enough that I'm going to do the two stone. He really likes it too. But... We had the discussion last night that in a few years I might want to change it/get something different. This project is going to come in around 2k, and a whole new ring would be considerably more expensive etc.

So, we shall see. The EC might end up on his hand in a few years! :lol: For now, I'm excited about it! Should have it in about a month. Working out some final details with WF.

If you made it this far, thank you for coming to my Saturday morning ramble.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm definitely loving the EC now that I've learned a little more, LOL. And I came to the same conclusion about the stacked solitaires; the spinning would make me a crazy person. :???:

Does this have to be a forever setting... No. But that's a recent development. It's interesting; for 17 years DH has been completely anti upgrade. He was extremely sentimental about the diamond he proposed with. Regardless of it's pre-pricescope less than stellar cut, LOL.

And I love it too, although I do sometimes wonder what it'd look like if I followed through and had BGD recut it for me (I'd lose a lot of the carat weight; they estimated it would go from .75 to somewhere in the .6 range).

This got rambly. Long story shorter, after I landed on the two stone concept that let me upgrade while keeping the same stone, and was allllll the way down the rabbit hole, DH decides to tell me I could just get a new ring if I want.

I'm sentimental enough, and I like this idea enough that I'm going to do the two stone. He really likes it too. But... We had the discussion last night that in a few years I might want to change it/get something different. This project is going to come in around 2k, and a whole new ring would be considerably more expensive etc.

So, we shall see. The EC might end up on his hand in a few years! :lol: For now, I'm excited about it! Should have it in about a month. Working out some final details with WF.

If you made it this far, thank you for coming to my Saturday morning ramble.

All of that makes complete sense. And 17 years is awesome, but you have some time before your 25th to think about another redesign or anniversary ring? Haha, ever the PS enabler. ;-)

I am excited to see your new ring, I think it’s going to be fabulous!

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
All of that makes complete sense. And 17 years is awesome, but you have some time before your 25th to think about another redesign or anniversary ring? Haha, ever the PS enabler. ;-)

I am excited to see your new ring, I think it’s going to be fabulous!

Thank you! And believe me, the 25th anniversary thing has crossed my mind. :Up_to_something:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results