shape
carat
color
clarity

Design ideas help?

Keeliamira

Shiny_Rock
So I am officially starting down the design path on my zircon ring. The stones are with my jeweler and I'll have first design draft this week. It will be in white gold. The zircon is a 4.92ct (9.1mm x 8.2mm) antique cushion. I'm pairing it with with two .40pt OEC diamonds.

My first question is whether it would look strange to also use smaller modern cut diamonds next to the antique cut stones? I have a 1940's bulova diamond bracelet watch I don't wear with a ton of different sized stones in it I'm thinking of cannibalizing. Thoughts?

_38621.jpg

20161118_133047.jpg

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
The watch is very pretty. I suppose it depends whether those stones are a well fit proportion wise? I'm slightly OCD so I would prefer oecs or single cuts.

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I can't help with the diamond type question. I just wanted to say that your zircon is a lovely shade of blue.
I will be watching to see how this one goes together. :naughty:

Desertrose

Shiny_Rock
Trade
I also don't know enough about diamonds to answer on the combination of cuts, but, I wonder about removing stones from the watch....it's pretty, vintage, and saleable. What if you instead sold it, and used the funds to buy the right diamonds, plus maybe had money left over?

Keeliamira

Shiny_Rock
Lovinggems - Im OCD in that way too, lol. I wondered if i was being too ocd. :shifty:

Elle - thank you honey. I'm rather in love with it and just picked up a matching pair of zircons from yyvone for earings to go with it!

Desertrose - Unfortunately, the resale value for the watch is pretty low. Only a few hundred dollars. There just isn't a demand for this kind of watch anymore (the face is incredibly small).The only value is really in the gold and the stones. Plus, it's not a piece I'm sentimental about. I bought it for $100 when I was 17 and touring prospective colleges so I'm not going to loose money on it or anything.

DDOC

Rough_Rock
Trade
The old european cuts may look a little lumpy next to the Zircon, depending on cut grade. Many are sort of squondish if that makes sense.
I would be more inclined to go with rectangular cushion cuts, probably about 0.50 to 0.60 each.
They would still give an Antique look to the ring, but with better light return and matching the cut to the Zircon better in terms of how the faceting looks.
If you were partial to more colour you could consider light or pale yellow ones with yellow claws and use white gold for the center and the band.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results