shape
carat
color
clarity

Design aesthetic or mismatched pearl?

cluelesscat

Rough_Rock
Greetings, All! I'm a new learner about pearls and glad to have found this community. I was looking to get a mid-range Akoya as my first purchase when I came across a second-hand gold/champagne? SSP strand that intrigues me somewhat. The strand as a whole looks good (to my untrained eye), but the central and largest bead appears decidedly lighter in shade. I've seen many mixed color SS strands, and variations on the central bead often have it in a deeper hue. To me, the lighter color makes the whole strand looks a little...off-balanced? So, I'm wondering if this was done by design or just poor matching? How would something like this affect the value of the strand? Thanks!
1438167921 (2)_LI.jpg

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
hmmmmm
i don't think it would be so noticeable if it wasn't the center pearl
what are you thinking ?
how good a deal is the strand?
a replacement pearl perhaps?

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Cynically, I think it was done to "up" the upper end in the "size range" for the strand. Suspect it was added after the fact at some later restringing -- or perhaps just prior to sale.

It might look better without it...

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Cynically, I think it was done to "up" the upper end in the "size range" for the strand. Suspect it was added after the fact at some later restringing -- or perhaps just prior to sale.

My first guess too. ^

cluelesscat

Rough_Rock
hmmmmm
i don't think it would be so noticeable if it wasn't the center pearl
what are you thinking ?
how good a deal is the strand?
a replacement pearl perhaps?

Thanks for bringing life to this thread, Daisy :)
Yes, you're right - it being the middle pearl makes it look quite out of place. I thought about removing it, but I guess a good part of the value of a necklace is in its largest pearl? I could get it for about 1800...I don't know if it's a good enough deal since the whole necklace appears lighter in color and then there's the middle one that looks almost silver...

cluelesscat

Rough_Rock

Yes! It does appear that way. The "graduation" even appears a little too abrupt now that you've mentioned it.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks for bringing life to this thread, Daisy :)
Yes, you're right - it being the middle pearl makes it look quite out of place. I thought about removing it, but I guess a good part of the value of a necklace is in its largest pearl? I could get it for about 1800...I don't know if it's a good enough deal since the whole necklace appears lighter in color and then there's the middle one that looks almost silver...
thank you
i felt bad it had sat here all weekend unanswered

maybe its an indication of what you really want
and its best to keep looking

katbran

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
It's not at all unusual for sellers to pop a larger pearl in the middle. That way the strand is listed as 9x14mm when the majority of the pearls are in the 9mm - 11/12mm range. It's a sales technique . As for the colour - definitely looks quite Champagne... and the rest light gold . Of course lighting might be effecting it ...not a great photo. There is often a bit of a colour mismatch in lower end strands. Most times it not 'in your face' but not as closely matched as an expensive strand. ( I do understand that 1800$ is not a trifling amount...it just isn't expensive in the world of South Sea.)

Basically its a roundish strand with lighter gold colour, avg lustre and frankly I'd wait for a different strand. It's not ridiculously over priced ( what size are they?) but you could get a very pretty baroque, circled drop etc with better colour and lustre for around that. I'd pass.
Sorry if I'm being a bit more blunt than usually...it's like 100 degrees here and it's wearing me out :)

cluelesscat

Rough_Rock
It's not at all unusual for sellers to pop a larger pearl in the middle. That way the strand is listed as 9x14mm when the majority of the pearls are in the 9mm - 11/12mm range. It's a sales technique . As for the colour - definitely looks quite Champagne... and the rest light gold . Of course lighting might be effecting it ...not a great photo. There is often a bit of a colour mismatch in lower end strands. Most times it not 'in your face' but not as closely matched as an expensive strand. ( I do understand that 1800$ is not a trifling amount...it just isn't expensive in the world of South Sea.)

Basically its a roundish strand with lighter gold colour, avg lustre and frankly I'd wait for a different strand. It's not ridiculously over priced ( what size are they?) but you could get a very pretty baroque, circled drop etc with better colour and lustre for around that. I'd pass.
Sorry if I'm being a bit more blunt than usually...it's like 100 degrees here and it's wearing me out :)

I'm so sorry somehow I missed this reply by Katbran! Just saw it now when I came back to update. Thought it'd be better if I deleted the photo now that it's someone else's private property but realize I can't anymore :doh:Perhaps I could trouble Admin to do it for me?

Anyway, my aunt ended up buying this necklace, and it actually came with an "aurora moon rainbow" certificate from the PSL. I know the term sounds self-explanatory but I still had to look it up, lol. To be honest, when I saw it, I didn't think the luster was *that* special (or maybe it is for SSPs?), but the overtones were really something, and the middle one is gorgeous in person. I still would opt to take it out and make it into an enhancer perhaps, but she prefers it right there and loves the low-key gold (somehow deep gold gives her that gold Rolex feel, lol) Goes to show that the perception of beauty really is subjective and can't be measured by monetary worth. I'm just glad she's happy with it. Thank you to all who responded :)

katbran

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Well Im glad she's very happy with it The photo is quite fuzzy so it's hard to see the high lustre that must exists with that certificate.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Im thinking now its around her neck and working for its living in the real world with real light it looks lovelly and its wonderful she loves it

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'm so sorry somehow I missed this reply by Katbran! Just saw it now when I came back to update. Thought it'd be better if I deleted the photo now that it's someone else's private property but realize I can't anymore :doh:Perhaps I could trouble Admin to do it for me?

Anyway, my aunt ended up buying this necklace, and it actually came with an "aurora moon rainbow" certificate from the PSL. I know the term sounds self-explanatory but I still had to look it up, lol. To be honest, when I saw it, I didn't think the luster was *that* special (or maybe it is for SSPs?), but the overtones were really something, and the middle one is gorgeous in person. I still would opt to take it out and make it into an enhancer perhaps, but she prefers it right there and loves the low-key gold (somehow deep gold gives her that gold Rolex feel, lol) Goes to show that the perception of beauty really is subjective and can't be measured by monetary worth. I'm just glad she's happy with it. Thank you to all who responded :)

Idn't it wonderful the pearl in question is the one she loves the most

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

This is a happy update. I'm glad she loves it, and definitely is an example of beauty being subjective

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results