shape
carat
color
clarity

Desertrose Collection

Desertrose

Shiny_Rock
Trade
I just received a lot of lovelies, and to copy Seaglow (best form of flattery!) and since Acinom mentioned she loves collection threads, I will start another. I am hoping to create a pic-heavy, rainbow-hued, buffet of gems!

First, some pinks!

Family pic:

These include clockwise from left: treated pad sapphire, natural sapphire on box of kornerupine melee, malaya garnet (not it's best angle), black box of smaller spinels, trillion mahenge, larger oval mahenge; in center: smaller oval mahenge and potential earring set with checkerboard mahenges and trilliums set with burmese spinels.

So I have to decide between the larger oval mahenge and the trillion, and am pretty sure I'm keeping the trillion. Here it is showing off:

The oval is also gorgeous, I'm partial to trillions however. A better shot of the oval, it is more neon and has more depth of color:

img_13852.jpg

img_13853.jpg

img_13854.jpg

Desertrose

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Here is a better pic of the malaya garnet. I am still pretty new to collecting, but am starting to see the difference in precision cut gems. This one is precision cut, and the crisp angles are very pleasing to look at.

And for fun, three shades of pink spinel melee. 2.5mm Tunduru, 2mm Mahenge, and 2mm Burmese. Interesting how light the Mahenge spinel is compared to the Burmese, I think.

Here is the pink sapphire, at it's darkest:

img_13855.jpg

img_13856.jpg

img_13857.jpg

Desertrose

Shiny_Rock
Trade
The oval and trillion I have to choose between - but wish I didn't need to! Can you imagine a drop pendant with these two?

The trillion is from Prima and the oval from Finewater, by the way.

A group shot of mahenge:

I think the photos look a bit darker than real life. I'm using an iphone and not adjusting the images.

img_13858.jpg

img_13859.jpg

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for starting this yummy rainbow thread! I indeed love collection threads :appl: and I already love yours. You have such a rich stone collection.

A drop pendant with the oval and trillion would be tres chique :love:
If you have to choose one, I would choose the trillion. It's such a beautiful shape.

Your treated pad is stunning as well, and so are your other stones.

Which of your stones will be set first?

katharath

Ideal_Rock
Yum!! This is my kind of thread!

I'm having a tough time deciding if I like the trillion or the oval better. Might need more pics!! I'll think it over and try to decide. I think they're both gorgeous though.

FenellaFudge

Rough_Rock
Gorgeous stones. Really like that Malaya Garnet.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The trillion Mahenge is gorgeous! :love: :love: :love:

Thanks for sharing your collection.

DK :))

Seaglow

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
The trillion!

The spinel melees are like sapphire punks I choose from. The Burmese are vivid compared to Madagascan pinks.

Gem Queen

Brilliant_Rock
The trillion is the one for me. I love the vibrancy. Is that even a word?

chroman

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Love that you got the Finewater Mahenge! I saw it the posting only after it sold, and there was much drooling :)

But that trillion. Wow! Great finds!

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Another vote for the trillion...gorgeous collection :love: Looks like you will busy with projects in 2017!

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Pretty! :love:

ilovegemstones

Ideal_Rock
Premium
my vote is for the trillion also. beautiful stones!

Desertrose

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Wow thank you all for the kind words! And it sounds like the trillion is the winner! Thanks for helping me make that decision!

Acinom - I am planning to set the smaller oval mahenge next, in a multi-stone, two-flower custom ring from Yvonne. Will post when it's done. Thanks for the compliment on the treated pad sapphire...I usually wouldn't get a treated stone, but it was so pretty and inexpensive. Here is a shot that better shows the color:

It does have a window, but can't recut it because of the treatment...I think with a good setting it will be fine though. It has lots of sparkle and shows pink, peach, and orange, with the tiniest hint of fushia!

Two more pics:

img_13876.jpg

img_13879.jpg

hand_pad.jpg

Desertrose

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Ok another one for your comments - a orangy-red tourmaline from Brazil - this one was a good price from Art Cut Gems.

Maybe a candidate for a recut?

Currently it's 1.90ct, and 7.34 x 9.46 x 4.46mm...a little trim might keep it around 7x9?

img_13877.jpg

img_13878.jpg

Desertrose

Shiny_Rock
Trade
And here is the vendor pic from Art Cut Gems:

It seems pretty accurate, though the stone does darken up in different lights. Here is the mahenge trillion and this tourmaline, in different lighting:

tourm_81.jpeg

pair_3.jpg

pair_1.jpg

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow to all of the gorgeous pink here! :lickout:
I am usually a fan of ovals but I love the trillion Mahenge. It just looks so vivid and lively.

And that pad sapphire. So pretty! :love:

Burmesedaze

Ideal_Rock
Trade
My kind of happy colours thread!
+1 for the trillion.

Such a stunning collection you have there!

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
I love this thread, I need more pink stones after seeing your collection. :appl:

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Desertrose|1480889671|4104783 said:
Ok another one for your comments - a orangy-red tourmaline from Brazil - this one was a good price from Art Cut Gems.

Maybe a candidate for a recut?

Currently it's 1.90ct, and 7.34 x 9.46 x 4.46mm...a little trim might keep it around 7x9?

I was admiring this on his Website today. I am glad to see it is a gorgeous as pictured and that you are the lucky owner. I would leave it as is. :love:

mochiko42

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have to stop myself from looking at your thread too often, Desert rose! Too many beautiful gems!! I'm starting to want some more pink gems now. :D

Desertrose

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Thank you all so much, it's so nice to hear the feedback from like-minded people! I don't know about you, but sometimes I wish I had a buddy nearby to talk gems with...my family is supportive but not particularly interested. So thanks!

LisaRN, I will keep the tourmaline as is, thanks for the input.

Here's another pic of the new tourmaline, bought to match a ring I already own...I think they match quite well. Next I'll need to find a pair for earrings! I like the sleepy glow.

And a last picture for your enjoyment of some of the pinks: treated pad sapphire, sleepy tourmaline, mahenge spinel...I do love the pink stones!

And yes Lilmosun, I have way too many projects to do, this is just scratching the surface :lol: The hard part is prioritizing and making sure I am really happy with the designs, because I've had some not turn out how I expected (no fault of the jeweler, just me not being able to see the final result). So I'm taking my time now till I have a very clear vision.

Ok, moving on from pinks! Let's do some turquoise!

img_13944.jpg

img_13949.jpg

img_13951.jpg

Desertrose

Shiny_Rock
Trade
My turquoise color gems include paraiba tourmaline, afghan tourmline, apatite, and peruvian opal.

The two best paraiba. Nothing compares when it comes to eye-catching color:

Here's the cushion, with two different yellow golds for comparison. 21k on the left, 14k on the right. I have found I really only like to wear yellow gold.

And a possible layout for the cushion, with ruby and burmese spinel melee. Sorry that the stones are upside down, but it was easier for arranging them. I live in the SW and like that this has a Southwestern look, reminiscent of a Navajo blanket pattern:

img_13955.jpg

img_13956.jpg

img_13957.jpg

Desertrose

Shiny_Rock
Trade
This little paraiba cab is probably the first one I will set, however, just because it wasn't as expensive and I don't feel that I have to get the setting so "perfect" as for the more expensive ones.

I was thinking of setting it E-W, in a textured 18k yellow gold band. Maybe with other stones, maybe not? Maybe an engraved pattern instead? Maybe set like the ruby ring next to it in this photo, something simple and wearable? I tend to only wear low profile rings as I work with my hands...

The Afghan tourmaline is a fun stone, large and with an interesting chunky cut (reverse bar maybe?) It sometimes has a slightly metallic sheen.

Here it is with the paraibas for comparison:

img_13959.jpg

img_13960.jpg

img_13961.jpg

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Your last two pink pics :love: You make me longing for pink.

And what a fabulous turquoise collection. I like!!! Great lay out for the cushion Paraiba. Please post more pics. I hope you will set these soon.

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ah turquoise. I could look at these babies forever. I love the mix of pinks, with the paraiba. I think that would make a great ring.
What are the specs on the cushion? I'm suffering from some serious envy over here. :mrgreen:
They are all so gorgeous! :love:

Desertrose

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Acinom - thanks for adding my pics to the Paraiba thread! You are so good at organizing around here, you are like the mother hen keeping all her chicks in order! Thanks for all you do, and for your consistent supportive comments :appl: :appl:

I also love pinks. I never thought of myself as a "pink" person but I am finding that I love pink stones the most. The rubellite tourmaline is ending up being my go-to ring. It doesn't jump out but it has so much richness to the color, and changes so much in different lighting. There's something about berry colors that are so juicy and appealing!

Thanks Elle, the cushion paraiba is 5.84x5.77x3.85, .87ct. It faces up pretty nicely, and fortunately I have small fingers. I think the setting of that cushion will be awhile...I have so many projects and stones, and so little money because I keep buying more stones! I'm also planning to go to Tucson in February, so I'm trying to save up for that. :lol: That plan isn't working too well so far! I just got a pair of OECs from Katharath, and a spinel crystal. I was going to get her mahenge ring too, but I passed after all. I just bought the trillion mahenge, and for some reason felt like the ring wasn't meant for me. Still wondering if I made the right choice, but again, I need to save for Tucson!

S

SparkliesLuver

How in the world did I miss your thread, desertrose?! I'm super confused, but I'm glad another PSer pointed me in the right direction. :)

Despite being new, you've got quite the collection going. :) I love seeing the variation in all your pinks. I assume you kept the Prima trillion? Excellent choice.

As for your paraibas ... wow! I hate to be rude, but I gotta call dibs on your cushion if you ever sell it. It's superb! I love the pear too, but alas I already have one of those. hehe Can't wait to see the rings and such that you make with all of these. :appl:

meladori

Rough_Rock
you have a gorgeous collection Desertrose! :love: I can't wait to see the new jewelry that comes out of this.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results