shape
carat
color
clarity

Depth

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Canadian2

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone....hope you can help me with this.

Here is a diamond I am looking into buying:

.642 Carat
F color
VVS1
Table 55%
Total Depth 61.7%
Pavil. Angle 40.8 deg.
Crown Angle 34.0 deg.
Girdle 0.9-1.6%
Culet Pointed
Fluor. Inert
Measurements 5.52-5.56-3.42mm

This diamond is AGS000 rated and scores a 1.0 on HCA. I
am uncertain, however, about the total depth. Should it be
more in the 59 to 60% range? Any help would be appreciated.

Lugus

Shiny_Rock
Though the depth is near the top of what is considered ideal, that diamond should rock (pun intended
9.gif
). Were the depth 60% or similar, I doubt you'd ever notice the difference.

If you're concerned about size, move up to a VS1-VS2 clarity and just get a bigger stone.

Rank Amateur

Brilliant_Rock
Remember that for a given dia and fixed cr and pv angles, the depth will be greater for a diamond with a smaller table. They work in concert so don't fixate solely on depth. (Fixate on pav angle if you must
1.gif
)

dimonbob

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Dear Canadian2;

That looks like a dream come true for some young lady. You have to remember that the total depth is made up of three parts of the diamond; pavilion depth, crown height and girdle thickness and all are variable. You are more than safe here and the diamond has to be beautiful.

niceice

Brilliant_Rock
The proportions look great to us! Total depth is not taken into account when determining whether a diamond is ideal cut or not, however there are preferred ranges of total depth that many of us rely on when selecting stones so that the customer is not paying for weight that they are not going to visually benefit from... In other words, the deeper the total depth, the smaller the outside diameter will be... We prefer a range of 59 - 61.8% and will consider stones as deep as 62.5% but only if they are something "amazing" like a 2.50 carat, D, VS-1 with "the right" crown and pavilion angles to compensate for the deeper depth.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results