shape
carat
color
clarity

Depth/Table Percentage ???

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

AWicker

Rough_Rock
I''ve been looking at oval and cushion shaped diamonds online. What are the depth/table percentages that are good or that I should stay away from? Sorry if this has already been answered. If there''s a thread with this info in it already, feel free to just direct me that way. Thank you for your help!

As an example, do these numbers throw up any red flags?

Shape: Oval D VVS2 1.37 Carats

Measurements: 9.35-6.47-3.35
Length to Width: 1.45
Depth Percentage: 51.8 %
Table Percentage: 65 %
Girdle: M-TK
Culet: None (Pointed)
Polish: Very Good
Symmetry: Very Good
Fluorescence: Strong

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/8/2009 2:36:42 PM
Author:AWicker
I've been looking at oval and cushion shaped diamonds online. What are the depth/table percentages that are good or that I should stay away from? Sorry if this has already been answered. If there's a thread with this info in it already, feel free to just direct me that way. Thank you for your help!

As an example, do these numbers throw up any red flags?

Shape: Oval D VVS2 1.37 Carats

Measurements: 9.35-6.47-3.35
Length to Width: 1.45
Depth Percentage: 51.8 %
Table Percentage: 65 %
Girdle: M-TK
Culet: None (Pointed)
Polish: Very Good
Symmetry: Very Good
Fluorescence: Strong
Welcome!

You can use these numbers as a guide only but don't get hung up on them as fancy shapes need to be seen to be judged. So when buying online that means working with a vendor who can provide detailed photos and ASET images.

http://diamonds.pricescope.com/fnc3.asp

You can't tell much by the numbers but having said that looking at the ones posted, if the depth and table are right the diamond is very shallow....Can you check if the depth and table measurements have been reversed? If those proportions are right then this diamond isn't well proportioned in my opinion and is not likely to give the best performance, so I would keep looking.

Also unless you particularly wanted D VVS then you could lower both colour and clarity to F or G colour ( GIA/ AGS graded) and VS clarity. Strong blue fluorescence might afford you a small discount in a D colour, check with the vendor if you want to find out more about this diamond, that it doesn't make the diamond look cloudy in some lights, this is rare but best to check.

One last thing with oval diamonds, they can often show what is called a bow tie effect which shows as a bow tie shaped dark area across the middle of the diamond. Sometimes this effect is more obvious in some diamonds than others, it is generally elongated shapes which show this, so always ask the vendor if an oval shows this and to what extent. Also you can sometimes minimise a bow tie, but again a trusted vendor who can physically inspect the diamond is of great benefit, so I really recommend working with a vendor who either has in house diamonds or can help you find the right diamond from an outside source.

DiamondsDiamonds

Shiny_Rock
Hi AWicker,

The color, clarity, carat size, measurements, and L/W ratio all look fantastic. However, the proportions are not within the “ideal” AGA ranges, which are:

Depth: 59-63%

Table: 55-60% (ideally) or 53-61.5% (next best range)

(Note that you have more latitude with the depth% than with the table%)

So, your numbers do raise a red flag, but as Lorelei pointed out, fancy shapes, like ovals, are more difficult to dissect via numbers alone. And ovals with numbers outside these “ideal” ranges can still perform well. (However, numbers well outside of these ranges would likely be problematic.) An ASET image would thus be very helpful.

Most importantly, make sure that you work with a seller who will provide you with as much information as possible about the diamond.

Lastly, keep the L/W ratio in the 1.33-1.66 range -- The L/W ratio is very important in ovals.

Good luck.

AWicker

Rough_Rock
Thanks so much Lorelie and DiamondsDiamonds! I really appreciate all of your help!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You are very welcome!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results