shape
carat
color
clarity

depth/ table cushion cut question

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

toothfairy

Rough_Rock
Hello,

I have a question. I want a cushion cut diamond and I want it to look as big as possible. To find a diamond to look the biggest possible, should I find a diamond that has a really low depth (like 49-59%) and have a table like (65-75%). Will that ensure that I got the biggest diamond for that certain carat weight? Also, I know by decreasing the depth and increasing the table, it will make the diamond more fragile, but how fragile??

Does anyone know the avg dimensions of a 2 ct cushion? Is it 7mm * 6mm? Thanks for all the answers!!

diamondglee

Rough_Rock
There are so many different shapes of cushions that there are no averages...it depends. Some people prefer square cusions, some like rectangular and some like the antique. There really is no standard.

I've been looking at cushions and out of all the shapes, I have found these the hardest to purchase without seeing them in person. No two are alike.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/8/2007 11:07:01 PM
Author:toothfairy
Hello,

I have a question. I want a cushion cut diamond and I want it to look as big as possible. To find a diamond to look the biggest possible, should I find a diamond that has a really low depth (like 49-59%) and have a table like (65-75%). Will that ensure that I got the biggest diamond for that certain carat weight? Also, I know by decreasing the depth and increasing the table, it will make the diamond more fragile, but how fragile??

Does anyone know the avg dimensions of a 2 ct cushion? Is it 7mm * 6mm? Thanks for all the answers!!
well.... yeah you're gonna get a diamond that looks good but I doubt it will be attractive. Big for big's sake isn't impressive if it isn't beautiful.

ETA on 1/9 - I meant to say you're gonna get a diamond that looks BIG - not good.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock

my 2.71 is 9.5x7.5x5.0 and is 66% deep and 53% table. Go for beauty over size - really!!

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Hello,

I have a question. I want a cushion cut diamond and I want it to look as big as possible. To find a diamond to look the biggest possible, should I find a diamond that has a really low depth (like 49-59%) and have a table like (65-75%). Will that ensure that I got the biggest diamond for that certain carat weight? Also, I know by decreasing the depth and increasing the table, it will make the diamond more fragile, but how fragile?? All diamonds are fragile, but it has nothing to do with the table or normal depth, diamond have weak spots like the girdle or culet, thats where the proffesionalism of the jeweler comes in. its his job to make sure the diamond is set in the jewelry the right way to protect its weak spots.

I have seen two carats from 6.80mm to approx. 8mm. in diameter...
The flater the stone, the spreadier it will be.
I''ve seen some gorgeous cushions at around 54% total depth, and some see-through cushions at a deeper total depth.
All depends on your preference.

In my opinion there are two important factors in cushions, 1) the crown needs to be noticeable to the average observer (to stick out of the setting!)
2) Table should be small size (mid 40''s to max high 50''s, in my opinion 60+% tables are to big!!!)

Now the rest is up to your own taste.... for example the type of faceting arangements etc, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results