shape
carat
color
clarity

Deposit required to get a sarin report?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

woody

Rough_Rock
I went in over this past weekend to a local B&M jeweler to look at some diamonds (my first trip). My primary goal was to get some hands on knowledge of my own limits for color and clarity in stones. One of the stones I looked at caught my eye, but they only had the GIA cert., so I asked if they could get the sarin report so I could verify the cut. The salesperson said that he would be able to get me the info by the end of this week.

I was just informed that in order to get the report I will be required to put a deposit on the stone. Even though the deposit is small and supposedly fully refundable it doesn''t seem right to me to put a deposit before I know exactly what I would be getting. I''m hesitant to proceed any further with this vendor as this info seems to be readily available without charge(especially from the vendors on PS), but I wanted to check here to make sure that I''m not the one who''s out of line.

verticalhorizon

Brilliant_Rock
While its certainly not the norm with the vendors on PS, I can't say that I'm too surprised or even that I necessarily dissagree with his motives.

These machines aren't cheap and I suspect that, if he's going to go through the trouble of creating the report, he would like to think that he's working with a very interested party, not just someone who is looking to do some casual research.

This is only a theory and I can understand it from a particular small business perspective.

EDITED: I like the way GOG does it. Jon doesn't charge a deposit for reports, he front loads his work and creates the reports as soon as he gets the diamonds so anyone can see them. That way, potential shoppers do their homework and weeding on their own and begin talking to them when it's time to drop cashishe (or plastic). You will have to put down a deposit to hold a diamond, however.

Either way, it's up to the owner how he wants to conduct business. But it's always up for negotiation. He can request a deposit... but you can also request to have it waived or take your business elsewhere. But if you do give him a deposit I would make sure its refundable 100%.

woody

Rough_Rock
Being new to the diamond shopping process I wasn't sure this was normal or not which is why I wanted to check. Sounds like everything is on the up and up and the deposit isn't a big deal.

Thanks for the repsonses.

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
Hey- I don't know HOW many times I've emailed GOG a stone that I've seen on the net just to inquire. Jonathan gets me a sarin right from the vendor no questions asked. CERTAINLY no deposit.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results