shape
carat
color
clarity

Deposit for custom made ring by Sally (Heart of Water)

luxroman

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone,

lurker here...

My boyfriend and I are looking to have a custom-made engagement ring. We've been exchanging emails with a Sally from Heart of Water. We love her settings, and she has even offered to find the stone for us. We've been reading different threads on this website lately, as well as her Etsy reviews, and she seems to be a trustworthy seller. That said, she asks for a deposit in order for her to look for the stone, and it is hard for us to commit this way for a stone that we have yet to see and a setting whose creation process won't start right away. We hate to think of worst case scenarios but must also be prudent. Is there any advice you could give us? Would there be a way to set up this deposit with the guarantee that it would be refunded promptly if things don't work out (she has stated it would be refundable in our case but no legal guarantee of this)? Or is this seller this trustworthy and reliable enough that we can make this deposit without second thoughts?

I originally posted my question in the jewelry pieces forum, but it was suggested to me to post here as it seems many regulars had first-hand experience working with HOW. Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Many thanks
Lux

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have had to trust many vendors with a refundable deposit. Amongst those I would trust include Sally of HoW. You also have to view it from her point of view - without the deposit, she would be committing to buying a stone without the assurance that you will pay her for it. What you have is the policy on her webpage, which you can hold her to. You can also pay her via credit card as a safety measure.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I completely understand your hesitation about the deposit, but I 100% trust Sally after working with her. I agree with Chrono that if you look at it from her perspective it does make sense. Also many PS members have worked with her successfully and been very happy with the results. I would go for it without worrying, but I agree that making the purchase on a credit card would give you some protection just in case something does go wrong. I think you will be thrilled with the results! :wavey:

mariedtiger

Brilliant_Rock
I have paid a deposit to Sally in many cases, also a gem hunt and I trust her fully. She is also tireless in looking for the perfect gem that you will love. I think about half of my jewelry collection is designed by her through the past ten years.

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have had custom jewelry made by Sally a few times and I have always paid a deposit, I would not hesitate to trust her.

luxroman

Rough_Rock
Thank you so much for all your answers! We do feel a lot safer and more confident. I do have two lasts questions:
In this case, is it safer to pay using the credit card directly or PayPal?
And, in regards to the stone she'll acquire for us, should we expect a certification to prove it's authentic and quality?

Again, many many thanks for all your help!

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Paypal has an option to add a credit card. I would add the credit card to paypal, and you can use paypal, by selecting (there is an option to change to credit card, default is your paypal balance, and banking account, but there is a drop down link to change the payment method.

I would trust Sally as well.. I've had many pieces made by Sally.

luxroman

Rough_Rock
Thank you! We'll proceed with our plans with her, all your comments have been very reassuring :)

ilovegemstones

Ideal_Rock
Premium
She is totally trustworthy and has many of my gems in her care that I am not ready to set yet!

mariedtiger

Brilliant_Rock
Me too, ilovegemstones, mine too. :bigsmile:

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Good luck! I hope she will be able to find a nice alexandrite for you.

luxroman

Rough_Rock
Thank you all! :)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results