shape
carat
color
clarity

Deperately seeking advice

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

gordo59

Rough_Rock
I have a diamond ring I need to sell. I bought the ring for $4000.00 CDN (including tax) at a very reputable jewelry store. It was appraised at $5200.00 cdn. The cert said it was 1/2 carat pear with SI1 clarity, G color
and good cut, it also has two bagettes for a total 3/4 carat weight. I took it to a place that buys diamonds and they told me the diamond was SI2 at best and offered me $700.00. The problem is I can't find the cert. Is it possible that the origional cert. was wrong or are these guys trying to rip me off? I was expecting at least $2000.00 considering that the ring has never been worn. Am I out to lunch on this? HELP!!!:confused:

ladyluck

Rough_Rock
So sorry to hear you are having discrepancies with the clarity of this stone. Do you recall whether or not the original cert. was GIA or EGL certified? If it was certified by EGL that's where the discrepancy may be coming in. Routinely their appraisals are not as accurate as GIA's and may differ a grade or two. Also, if you lost the cert you may be able to obtain a copy of it through your insurance company if indeed it was insured.

Good luck with it.

lawmax

Brilliant_Rock
Hi,

You may want to try listing your diamond on the auction on this site. It is just getting started, but there is no charge at this time.

You won't get a good price by trying to sell to a jewelry store since they can buy wholesale.

gordo59

Rough_Rock
Thanks for answering. No,I am not sure about the cert. Is there that much difference? It's hard to believe that buyers are hung out to dry by retailers on such a costly purchase... it's almost like it's legal to misrepresent what you are selling.:((

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
The average jeweler has very high stock holdings and may only sell a total of the same amount as the stock value.
ie $1m stock and $1m sales.

A supermarket may have $1m stock and $500m sales, so guess who needs the high margin to survive.

Re the buyers / sellers difference between SI1 and SI2 - it is not such a big deal - in fact that is what we call a buyers and sellers difference in opinion, it does not mean your diamond is SI2 just because one buyer says so.

Get a digital photo and put it up for sale here - we would recomend you send it to Dave Atlas for an appraisal because he is trusted on this site, and that means you will get a higher price.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results