shape
carat
color
clarity

demantoid vs tsavorite garnets

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

bgray

Brilliant_Rock
Anyone know what the difference is between the two? I would like to have some earrings custom made and i wold like a green..............as close to emerald green as possible.

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/23/2008 8:26:46 PM
Author:bgray
Anyone know what the difference is between the two? I would like to have some earrings custom made and i wold like a green..............as close to emerald green as possible.
Completely different beasts chemically. Demantoid is from the andradite family of garnets, tsavorite is a variety of grossular from the ugrandite family of garnets.

Demantoid has more dispersion than tsavorite and tends to be more of a grassy/yellow green.

Tsavorite can be found in an emerald green colour.

Both are expensive for good quality, with fine demantoid more expensive than fine tsavorite.

What size/shape are you looking for? Budget?

The stone in my avatar is a tsavorite.

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Here is a picture of some extremely fine demantoids.

demantoid_suite101.jpg

bgray

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks! I wanted to spend no more than $10,000 and have something custom--either a green stone at the top with a south sea pearl hanging from it OR a small round diamond with a pear or triangle shaped green drop. Not huge the bottom drop would be no larger than say a quarter in length but narrower

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Bgray, I can''t wait to see what you get with your generous budget!

Pandora - those are some gorgeous garnets.

bgray

Brilliant_Rock
Anyone know any good sources for high quality colored stones?

Kismet

Ideal_Rock
If you want to use demantoids, you''re probably better off going with plan 1 (green stone at top). It''s very doubtful that you''d be able to find one demantoid drop in the size you want for under 10k much less two. My husband priced out the oval demantoid on Richard Wise''s site (Richard Wise''s site and that was just under $7k.

Just for reference, a quarter is about an inch in diameter (about 25 mm) and that''s pretty huge in the gemstone world.

For what you want, I''d probably put someone like Wink Jones or Richard Wise or Richard Martin out looking for me.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

I am still on vacay in Cali, but I am cruising PS today and saw your post. I also love the stones you are considering, and by chance I have seen a set pair of demantoid garnets earrings, here in Palm Desert, that may interest you. If not, no problmmo.

There is a jeweller on El Paso drive, called Gale. I recently bought a 22 carat cab prenhite/w diamonds ring there, and my sister a pair of amethyst/diamond hoop earrings and a pair of diamond halo peridot earring studs and a matching pendant. But I digress.

They have two pair of demantoid stud earrings, one round and the other trilliant cut, stud, surrounded by diamonds. Beautiful color green(s) and rather "brilliant". I wish I had wrtten down the demensions of the stones, but did not--albeit they were a great size and perfectly matched.. From what I recall, they are beneath your budget. Set in 18K. I seriously considered them for myself. If you called them they might be able to give you more details. I think they have a website.

cheers--Sharon

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''ve just had a quick look round the dealers I regularly use and www.multicolour.com has some great Demantoids (eye clean!) in large sizes waayyyyyyy under your budget! Hope that helps.

Kismet

Ideal_Rock
Where are you looking at on that site? They have one pair of 1.65 tcw that''s a nice green but the other pairs are just not worth the money. I don''t know that I would call that pair large though.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I read it that the OP was looking for a pear cut not a pair! Just gone back and read it again! Whooops! Apologies!

You're right, no good pairs of Demantoids but they've got some stunning pairs of Tsavorites!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results