carat
color
clarity

Delving into the world of "expensive" jeans

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

AG has a great product. AG's soft and just fit well--no stupid crotch compression. As does Blumarine. Love them but not a bargain. That said I have a pair of colored Blumarine's that are are old, fit and wash beautifully and get compliments every time worn. My investment jeans ;-).

For fresh looks and not so spendy--Gap or Zara.

cheers--Sharon

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Reporting back in!

I took back three of the four pair bought yesterday and wore the other one, Paige. They look as good now as they did when I put them on this morning. BUT the waist is a bit every time I stand up I have to hitch up my pants. I did wear a belt with them for the second half of the day, which is fine, but I'd rather not have to.

Went to Rack and tried on 7FAM. OK, but didn't thrill me. Hudson, same. Madewell apparently didn't get the memo on sizing because the same size in Madwell as in all the others was YUUUUGE. I did go down TWO sizes and found some that fit, but they didn't look good enough to buy. I got a pair of JAG that you *pull on* -- AWESOME! and Melrose and Market with a little dark flower embroidery on the bottom of one leg. I got those in two sizes because I was't sure, and frankly I was tired of looking at myself backwards in a mirror at that point. AND THEN I walked across the street to Marshalls and got a pair of Calvin Kleins that I think look better on me than anything else I bought, and some other brand of super light wash in a brand called Kensie. I also picked up three pairs of white pants along the way, two of which are going back, a pair of sneakers in the children's department (the benefit of super small feet!) a bathing suit cover up and a Christmas gift for one of my colleagues.

WHEW!!!

Princess is TIRED!

But now... I will have a glass of wine and try all this on again...

Oh! And did I mention I plan to lose 20 lbs, so none of this will fit when that happens... ? (Of course I've been "losing 20 lbs for ten years now... :cheeky: But if I do, I'll have to start this process all over again! :eek-2: )

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ok late but here I go. I bought a ton of jeans a year ago just to update my Jean wardrobe. Now I only wear boyfriend jeans, baggy and loose all the way down except a slight taper. I always fold above my ankles. The below are when I bought skinnies. I recommend you focus on how it looks from behind, and the most flattering washes.

I’m 5’2 and carry weigh waist and below. I have substantial quads and calves. No curves.

Joes - soft snug. Too tight for my taste. Holds shape ok

Hudson - also pretty soft. Shape and pockets flattering on the butt. Lots of different waist height, low, mid and high rise. Try on lots of styles. Placement of some pockets not flattering at all.

Frame - many styles and cuts. Some fit me great and others not at all. Be picky. Mid rise is comfy.

Citizens of humanity - don’t even know if they make jeans any more. old pair have kept shape. Stiffer material than other makers.

Paige - soft, too soft for my taste.

7 - never fit my body type. I think good for curvier types.

AG - many styles. But I like stiffer material and they offer some in that material.

Lucky - cheaper than above. Offers some stiffer denim. I really love stiffer denim and bought two pairs of their boyfriend jeans in different washes.

Trave- new brand for me. Very stiff old school Levi material. I’m liking it. I am considering my first pair.

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Dee*Jay

Try the Costco offerings since you go there often. Online can be easier to sort through sizes. Buy and return if need be. I may have some nwt jeans in your size btw. I seem to have stuff that I bought and forgot about every 5 lbs or so... I'm going to be a 5x5 square soon.

Reactions: ame

sonnyjane

Ideal_Rock
In college when I was worried about being "cool" I did the expensive$200/pair jean thing... Then, quite frankly, those brands of jeans started changing their shape and my VERY wide hipped/big butted self was having a heck of a time something that would fit. I ended up going to American Eagle for their $40 jeans and for the last probably 10 years that's all I've really been able to find that fits me!

ringbling17

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a lot of designer jeans but I don’t even wear them anymore. I have AG, Citizens, Hudson’s, Paige and 7 FAM. Probably at least 20 pairs if not more.
I found that I love Calvin Klein jeans. I think they are the Curvy style (with Lycra or Spandex?) and I absolutely love American Eagle.
I love the AE high rise X4 jeggings (I think that’s what they are called). I only wear them now. I like the high rise because it covers and retracts my waist area so I don’t have a muffin top.
All my designer jeans were low so I would always have a muffin top, especially after I gained weight.
Now that I’ve lost weight I did have to purchase a smaller size from AE but it’s not too bad bc they are fairly inexpensive anyway.

ETA: for reference I am 5’3” and 124 lbs now, but as high as 140 in the past. I wear size 2 in Calvin Klein’s and size 6 or 8 in AE.

Gussie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have probably 25 pairs of jeans because I wear them 365 days a year, lol. Citizens of Humanity is by far my favorite brand. Nordstrom carries them. I have 6 pairs in different washes of the racer cut. They fit me perfect. I buy the racer cut when it's on sale because I am afraid they will stop making it. I am short body, long legs so a low rise is all that works for me and it's out of style now!

I wash my jeans after each wear just because I am a freak like that. I dry them on high heat too. Definitely not what your supposed to do.

Last edited:

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m all over the place with jeans..

Currently, I am loving the Levi’s wedgie fit skinny. It isn’t all that expensive. It has a high rise, which holds in the bad stuff. If you look this jean up on the internet, you will see that everyone’s butt looks amazing in it!! For the record, my butt looks amazing too!:lol-2::lol-2:

I don’t do ultra expensive jeans anymore. I found that they weren’t really worth the money. I like American eagle and any other jean that is rigid denim without stretch and a high rise.

Rubybrick

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Late response, sounds like you had some fun trying them out! Wanted to mention madewell and “philcro” the anthro brand. Lately I have been loving my mother denim, they are all not too expensive but holds up well for me.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've gotten almost all newest jeans at Levi's outlets stores - but it's catch as catch can there. Levis has a nice stretch blend that lasts well if you take care of it, and a lot of fitting options. A recent Eddie Bauer catalog also showed a lot of size and style options, though I haven't bought jeans from them recently.

I don't wash my "good" jeans (dark indigos) in the machine if I can avoid it. I give them a soak in a wash basin with a very small amount of detergent made for dark colors, and some vinegar to prevent bleeding. I use warm but not hot water to help relax any creases and to help the jeans regain their shape, and I line dry them. Sometimes I'' give them a soak without soap to remove creases and bring them back into shape.

Not-so-good jeans get the inside-out washer treatment and, when possible, only a brief time in a warm dryer (to reduce wrinkling/drying time and help remove creases) followed by line drying. (Yes, I actually have a clothes line - but "line drying" just as often means hanging the pants in the basement of garage to finish drying.)

I also have a few pair of original 501's, men's cut, for gardening! They go in the washer and dryer without any special considerations!

I do realize these are not the expensive jeans you're asking about! I have a few pair of expensive labels (including Joes) that I was lucky enough to buy at Marshall's or TJMaxx. I just prefer my Levis's for most things - probably because I don't really care for a heavily or obviously distressed look that many designer labels seem to specialize in.

One final note - if you're shopping in Nordy's etc, consider the option of getting jeans altered for a better fit. Oprah had "Jeans" episodes that showed that having jeans altered can make a huge difference in how they fit and flatter you.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
My favorite are the Wit and Wisdom itty bitty bootcut. I usually buy several pair at a time during Anniversary Sale (bec they're usually included.)

I almost bought some Paige's and some Hudson's like two years ago but I wasn't done losing weight (or apparently finding it) so I decided over $100 a pair was stupid til I was done.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Day Two of The Great Jeans Adventure

Yesterday I wore the Calvin Kleins. LOVE. LOVE. LOVE. They are amazing. I am going to every TJ Maxx in the four state metro area and buying all the pairs I can find! At Beanie's suggestion I also ran to Costco, but they did have any CKs in the store, so I'll order some online (although I think Costco's are not the capri version, which is what I have now).

Today I am going to wear the no-name brand in light wash. They are currently in the dryer because they had wrinkles from where the hem was folded up and I had to wet the bottoms to get the wrinkles out.

About "distressed"... um... not really my cup of tea, but I think that can look cute on other people. I prefer my jeans fully intact when I hand over my American Express card, although I can live with a fringe hem if it's even. (I know, I know... Hey you kids, get off my lawn! :cheeky:)

All this trying to look good just wears a girl right out!

P.S. - I ordered eleven tops from Kohl's the other day that on which I'm awaiting delivery... that will be a whole new adventure, LOL.

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't have much to add about jean brands, only about washing. I wash all dark indigo and black jeans inside-out on cold delicate, and then line dry. I find the color lasts the best that way.

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
Help me girls...

I'm dipping my toe in the pond here and buying some "good" jeans. Yesterday at Nordstrom I came away with some Paige and Joe's, none of which I'm 100% committed too, all of which I bought in a rush as I was late to meet someone for dinner. But... now I'm in -- on the concept anyway. They also have 7 for All Mankind and Hudson (however I've read Hudson's tend to wear/rip more than the others, so I think I'm going to avoid those).

What are your preferences (especially among the Paige, Joe and 7FAM)? Do better jeans reallllly hold their shape? I hate having saggy butt at the end of the day... No putting in the dryer -- is that true? How often do you wash them? Everything I read says only when necessary (what exactly does that mean... ?). What makes the fabric better than less expensive jeans? And finally, how does the sizing work? Should I get ones that look the way I want them to look when I put them on in the dressing room? Smaller because they *will* stretch despite everything I read? Other?

I'm short and squareish BTW, in case anyone has advice on style too (as if all the rest of this weren't enough, ha ha!).

Any guidance will be much appreciated!

YES! Paige jeans. I've had a million pairs of jeans, including more expensive and cheaper too, but I only wear Paige now. They hold their shape (don't ever throw in the dryer though). Don't wash often/too much--you'll get a sense for that. I love their mid to high waist styles and the ankle length--very fresh and easy to pair with anything. You really can't go through. Peg opening if you want a slightttttly more straight taper at the ankle (basically, instead of being skinny skinny at the ankle the opening is a little straighter, so a little more appropriate for work type situations where you don't want a completely skinny jean).

doberman

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My current favorite jeans are AG slimfit. The stretchiness is great and they're nice and soft. I have Lucky and Abercrombie and Fitch hanging in the closet. This particular pair is distressed looking with holes. Trying to explain to my husband why I paid money for holey jeans was a little difficult.

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
So glad you love the CK Jeans, Dee*Jay. I don't have a specific brand that I wear, but like all of the brands you tried. I had a pair of Paige jeans I loved that finally wore out a couple of years ago. I also had a pair of 7FAMK jeans I loved. I currenly have about 10 pair of jeans that are a mix of Joe's Jeans, J Brand, 74AMK, Hudson, I think I might have an old pair of True Religion. I wash them all after every wear (and put them in the dryer), so I do wear through a few pair a year. I also find the distressed wear faster than non-distressed, but I love a frayed hem and some distressing. I find Hudson to be the softest and most flattering (and keep their shape the best) but sometimes I like the stretch of my J Brands or Joe's Jeans. My 74AMKs are just simple go-to jeans, but that's just because I tend to buy those in that style. I get them all from Nordstrom, but buy them online because I have zero time to shop.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So the no-name brand from TJ Maxx were OK. I liked that they didn't cut into my waist (no muffin top!) but I had to hike them up constantly. I'm going to try them with a belt because I otherwise liked them.

I haven't been able to find any more of the CK capris in my size at any other TJ Maxx, but there's another one within walking distance of my office that I might run to at lunch today. And I just ordered the CKs from Costco... in three sizes, LOL.

Thank you all for the feedback on other brands too. Now that I've committed to buying "better" jeans I get the feeling I'm going to run through all of these as some point!

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don't have much to add about jean brands, only about washing. I wash all dark indigo and black jeans inside-out on cold delicate, and then line dry. I find the color lasts the best that way.

Agreed. I have found that Persil keeps my darks dark longer.

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I'm exhausted just reading this thread @Dee*Jay! I HATE to shop (unless it's bling) and usually make my sister go with me. I give her my credit card and hold my arms out like a scarecrow so that I can hold all of the stuff she piles for me to try on! I couldn't even tell you what brand of jeans I have in my closet (I'm a tad embarrassed to admit that!)....I do know we got some at TJ Maxx and some at Nordstrom. Like @Calliecake, because I hate to shop, when I find something I like, I buy it in every color, multiple pairs, etc. While in college, I bought 30 white, V neck t-shirts at The Limited because they fit me perfectly and they were a bit thicker, so not see through. 20 years later and I'm down to my last few shirts and let me tell you, finding a replacement is nearly impossible! They are all too thin and see through! Anyhooo.....I seem to have veered off topic.....congrats on your successful shopping expedition and I hope to see some of your new finds in Houston!

P

PierreBear

I bought a pair of Paige jeans because of this thread... they were on sale at Nordstroms and always wanted a gray pair. Comfortable but wasn't used to the lower-rise pants and am afraid of that plumbers butt. The neat thing about the jeans that I didn't realize is it is a blend with only 20% cotton and the tag mentions "will not stretch out." Hope that is the truth but will get to wear them to casual day Fridays at work.

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I buy Lucky Brand at discount stores like Marshall’s and TJ Maxx. They’re always $39.99. You can always find the current season’s styles. My favorite cut is the Bridgette Skinny. It has a high rise and a very slim leg. My second favorite is the Lola. At $40 a pop, I never worry about this jean too much. I love their tops too. Once, I spent $90 on a lucky brand top at a department store only to find it at Marshall’s the next day for $25, on that day I vowed never to buy Lucky Brand at full price again. :::dramatic hand to the forehead:::

ringbling17

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So the no-name brand from TJ Maxx were OK. I liked that they didn't cut into my waist (no muffin top!) but I had to hike them up constantly. I'm going to try them with a belt because I otherwise liked them.

I haven't been able to find any more of the CK capris in my size at any other TJ Maxx, but there's another one within walking distance of my office that I might run to at lunch today. And I just ordered the CKs from Costco... in three sizes, LOL.

Thank you all for the feedback on other brands too. Now that I've committed to buying "better" jeans I get the feeling I'm going to run through all of these as some point!
I bought all my CK from Macy’s. They usually are on sale and I think I paid less than $40.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results