carat
color
clarity

Delving into the world of "expensive" jeans

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Help me girls...

I'm dipping my toe in the pond here and buying some "good" jeans. Yesterday at Nordstrom I came away with some Paige and Joe's, none of which I'm 100% committed too, all of which I bought in a rush as I was late to meet someone for dinner. But... now I'm in -- on the concept anyway. They also have 7 for All Mankind and Hudson (however I've read Hudson's tend to wear/rip more than the others, so I think I'm going to avoid those).

What are your preferences (especially among the Paige, Joe and 7FAM)? Do better jeans reallllly hold their shape? I hate having saggy butt at the end of the day... No putting in the dryer -- is that true? How often do you wash them? Everything I read says only when necessary (what exactly does that mean... ?). What makes the fabric better than less expensive jeans? And finally, how does the sizing work? Should I get ones that look the way I want them to look when I put them on in the dressing room? Smaller because they *will* stretch despite everything I read? Other?

I'm short and squareish BTW, in case anyone has advice on style too (as if all the rest of this weren't enough, ha ha!).

Any guidance will be much appreciated!

P

PierreBear

Glad you found a pair of good looking jeans! Thanks for getting the this thread started and will be following along. There are two types of items that I dread shopping for. Shoes and jeans. Not a fun process for me as it's hard combo to find something that is comfortable but also flattering!

I personally have a pair of banana republic jeans that are 10 years old but are still my favorite that are comfy. For skinny jeans, I have a pair from Urban Outfitters, which I wear with my boots in the winter time. My other daily wear jeans are from Madewell which never seem to stretch out so no saggy bottom problem. In fact, the Madewell jeans seem to be pre-shrunken so I wish they would stretch out sometimes but have really stayed in tact. None of these are the designer jeans you mentioned above but the pricing is generally pretty similar. I'll have to check out some of the brands you mentioned above!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I hate shopping for jeans as I'm tall, longer in the legs and short up top, I miss the way Mom jeans used to fit lol!!

I'll be watching with interest to see what comes up, I normally like good old Levis and Tommy Hilfiger for fit but I've recently been loving hush boyfriend jeans. They're not super expensive, around $100 USD.
Not sure if they ship internationally.

https://www.hush-uk.com/womenswear/daywear/jeans_1/boyfriend_jeans_2_denim.htm

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like Paige. Right now I'm sporting Boyfriend high waists from Old Navy because I'm fat. LOL!

bright ice

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is a problem that I have always had but over the past couple of years I have really tried to find good fitting Jeans but have been unsuccessful. I am so tired of ordering/returning that I almost am ready to give up.
I am 5"1", fairly petite, my lower leg portion is shorter than the upper. I've tried everything that Chico's and Talbot's carries. We don't have any of the higher end chain stores where I live except a Dillard's so mail order is my best option and I hate it!!! I'll be keeping up with this thread too.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So I'm lying here on my bed in a pair of Paiges that I'm trying to decide if they're the right size or will turn out to be one size too big... In my experimentation here in the house this morning I think I've determined that I prefer Paige to Joe's.

After lunch today I'll be heading to a different Nordstrom Rack to continue this adventure, and hopefully find some white and super pale ones.

BTW, does anyone know if it's true that if you buy something from a place like Nordstrom Rack you aren't/may not be getting the "regular" version of something? I read that if you go this route you're getting a cheaper version of goods that retailers make to be sold less expensively and the way to tell is that if it has a price tag that says like "compare at $169.00, price $79.99" rather than having a price tag with $169.00 on it and being had crossed off (indicating an in-store mark down) then you're not getting the high end version.

:confused:

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm tall and my closet is mostly Paige and Joe's and I have one pair of DL 1961 love the fit but I have to order most of these on line to get the inseam I need 34-36". For just bum around jeans I ordered a great pair from jcrew on line. But they stopped making them! I had a total meltdown when American lost my luggage and the Jcrew pair was in the suitcase. Note to self - Never ever check your favorite jeans. My luggage did turn up a week later thankfully. Lesson learned!

Babyblue033

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
BTW, does anyone know if it's true that if you buy something from a place like Nordstrom Rack you aren't/may not be getting the "regular" version of something? I read that if you go this route you're getting a cheaper version of goods that retailers make to be sold less expensively and the way to tell is that if it has a price tag that says like "compare at $169.00, price $79.99" rather than having a price tag with $169.00 on it and being had crossed off (indicating an in-store mark down) then you're not getting the high end version.

:confused:
I don't know about Nordstrom but I know Gap/Banana makes specific items to be sold at their outlet stores. I used to think items from their regular stores get sold at outlet past season for discounts, but apparently they just make cheaper versions specifically for outlet stores with lower quality. Was NOT happy to find that out... o_O

BlingDreams

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love my Joe’s Honey cut jeans. Great for those with curves. I’ve also recently fallen in love wit AG, specifically their Boyfriend cut. Hits all the right places in the right ways :mrgreen2:

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm taking notes here.....8-)

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m a cheapskate, Jeans are just workhorse clothes for me, so I won’t spend a lot of money on them. I buy when I visit the States, I just can’t find good fitting jeans here.

I really like Lee jeans, lots of stretch, and for me, I really like that they do curvy fit and they don’t stick out at the back of the waist. They wash well, and unlike a lot of jeans here, the rise is really comfortable, can’t stand jeans that don’t come up over the belly button, I’m too old for low rise.

They do lots of lengths and style, and on my recent trip, I got 2 pairs of black skinnies reduced to less than $8 dollars a pair at Vanity Fair :lol:

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have 12 pairs of jeans, which I live in. They are all Levi's :shock: I find the cut really good on me, low rise, boot cut leg, so I don't look like a have a pear shaped bottom. I hate high rise on me that cinch in the waist - doesn't flatter me in the slightest. I find the denim wears well & have never ripped a pair yet. They don't get bum or knee lag, looking as good at the end of the day as they did at the beginning. My favourite style of theirs at the moment is the 715. I now have 4 pairs in different colours, but prefer dark indigo in general as they're really flattering. They are mid priced at £90 on average, so about $125?

I am an average size & height btw. I do have an inner thigh "issue" which is perfectly disguised in Levi's!

Q

Queenie60

I am petite, 5'3" and I found Wit and Wisdom jeans at Nordstrom. They're wonderful, don't sag and have an adequate amount of stretch. It doesn't matter how thin I am at any given time, I find jeans to be uncomfortable around the waist. The Wit and Wisdom jeans are very comfortable. I have a boot cut and a straight leg style.

Blingalingaling

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Actually, my favorite jeans are Hudson Jeans, because I love their mid-rise front. The back seam is a bit taller, so I get that lower look in front, but the back is still very comfortable if I bend down or sit. I also find their material to be comfortable and offer a nice amount of stretch, so they hug my curves without bagging out somewhere else. I haven't had any issues with them tearing or not holding up after washing or dry cleaning. They hold their shape so you never feel like they're sagging. They are a high quality product and they offer so many options, washes and finishes. You can find them at Nordstrom's Rack. I don't believe the quality is any less than you'd find in the regular Nordstrom, but sometimes they might sell a discontinued style (still could be a great style for you, though). I've also been lucky and found them in Marshall's and TJ Maxx at really great discount prices-a fraction of what you'd pay in a retail store!
I'm an advocate for trying them on, bending and making sure they're comfortable in the fitting room. I find if they feel good there, they're usually going to be good at home, too. But if they bind anywhere or I feel constricted in the legs or seat, I'll pass. A little tight is ok but I've learned the hard way that buying jeans that don't feel right somewhere will probably never stretch to fit my proportions the right way.
I also love FRAME denim. They have a great fit, too! Both brands can be dressed up or down.
BTW, I'm about 5'1", very small on top but a little curvier on the bottom and I find that these brands fit me the best and make me look taller and slim. And they look great with a pair of heels or boots!

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Levi's girl here and the curvy fit from Eddie Bauer. My favorite pair of Levi's are the pull on ones (because I never tuck shirts) with the thicker material that stays it's nice shape even though they have a bit of stretch.

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have two teens who like the jeans at Old Navy. So many styles and fabrics. But not a place for folks over 5'6. Also place is not cheap as thought. They had jeans for $35- $55. They do have sales but hard to catch size and timing. I never get a deal from that place. I know not the expensive jeans discussed above but does give a floor as to bottom prices to compare. I remember the Just Jeans Levis shops in the late 1960s and 1970s where Levi jeans were $12-$16 and lasted forever. I also remember the Calvin Kleins of the 1970s that started the designer jean fad for the masses. Those jeans were great and really were flattering for the backside.

GliderPoss

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m petite too and have found personally that price/brand makes little difference! Just focus on cut & fit. Right now Zara seems to have a good selection of jean for short, curvy ladies. I try to wash them every few wears, not each time. Look for good stretch/elastic so they bounce back into shape! :wavey:

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am petite, 5'3" and I found Wit and Wisdom jeans at Nordstrom. They're wonderful, don't sag and have an adequate amount of stretch. It doesn't matter how thin I am at any given time, I find jeans to be uncomfortable around the waist. The Wit and Wisdom jeans are very comfortable. I have a boot cut and a straight leg style.
I like wit and wisdom too. I have them tailored at Nordstrom.

Try NYDJ, since you're @Dee*Jay

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
31433869_10216111541291028_6788861711647506432_n.jpg

Just saw these.... not sure if I'm willing to pay for just the waistband
Is the brand "emperor" (and his new clothes)?

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@ame knows Nordstrom's jeans really well. Hopefully she can chime in.

Reactions: ame

Snowdrop13

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have never bought expensive jeans, ever. My current faves are UK brands Oasis and Next- the latter do a great high waist, ‘lift and slim’ type jeans style, all for about £30 (45 USD)! I wear them until they start to fade then buy a new pair........

JPie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I hate shopping for jeans! It's near impossible to find anything that won't need to be hemmed for a 5'3" frame, and I have a disproportionately large butt to waist situation.

James Jeans fit well and I can usually get them at least 15% off when their site has a sale. Frame Denim is of better quality and the trick is to wait for the sales at high-end stores like Neiman Marcus or Bergdorf. I've scored pairs up to 70% off this way.

To answer your questions:

• No putting in the dryer -- is that true? Yes. Nothing horrible will happen if you do it once or twice besides potential shrinking, but over the long term your jeans will wear out faster.
  • How often do you wash them? Everything I read says only when necessary (what exactly does that mean... ?). Unless they're stained or they smell, don't wash them. The finish will last longer this way, plus less laundry to do.
  • What makes the fabric better than less expensive jeans? Theoretically, they put more effort into distressing them and giving them a distinct look. In reality, probably nothing much. I would say the exception is Frame; their jeans feel more substantial.
  • And finally, how does the sizing work? Should I get ones that look the way I want them to look when I put them on in the dressing room? Smaller because they *will* stretch despite everything I read? Other? Fancy jeans generally go by waist size. You'll want to err on the side of snug because they'll stretch. Just make sure you can sit and it's not so tight that you never want to put them on.
Oh, one last thing - wash before hemming. That's in case they shrink a little. That would seem to contradict my point above, but jeans stretch horizontally with wear, not vertically.

Last edited:

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
A few years ago I was on a quest to find a great fitting jean. After multiple trips to Nordstrom’s I found none of them fit my body type well. One of my nieces told me to go to Forever 21 and try their jeans (which had me LOL). They fit me the best and cost less than $10. I bought 30 pairs. After a few washings If I’m not liking how they look, I wear them to work in the yard. They are lighter weight which is great for the summer.

I wash jeans inside out in cold water and hang to dry.

Blingalingaling

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
31433869_10216111541291028_6788861711647506432_n.jpg

Just saw these.... not sure if I'm willing to pay for just the waistband
This is a riot!!!
And I'll bet they'll sell...that's the craziest part! :)

Blingalingaling

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Actually, they eliminate most of the "fitting problem"!! LOL!

Resonance.Of.Life

Brilliant_Rock
I've found a couple of brands who do cost more than the usual fare, but also have lasted 5+ years with a lot of abuse and wear. I love AG and Mother jeans.

1. No putting in the dryer -- is that true? Yeah- I hang dry
2. How often do you wash them? I only wash them if they are visibly dirty or smell- but usually I get quite a few wears out of them.
3. What makes the fabric better than less expensive jeans? Don't know exactly, but they've lasted a quite a ways longer than the cheaper ones I used to buy by years.
4. And finally, how does the sizing work? Should I get ones that look the way I want them to look when I put them on in the dressing room? The sizing goes by waist size but even that varies from brand to brand. I'm anywhere from a 25 to a 27 depending on brand and cut of the jeans.

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
A few years ago I was on a quest to find a great fitting jean. After multiple trips to Nordstrom’s I found none of them fit my body type well. One of my nieces told me to go to Forever 21 and try their jeans (which had me LOL). They fit me the best and cost less than $10. I bought 30 pairs. After a few washings If I’m not liking how they look, I wear them to work in the yard. They are lighter weight which is great for the summer.

I wash jeans inside out in cold water and hang to dry.
This is so true! Price doesn't necessarily dictate what looks best on you when it comes to jeans. When something is a hit, and your body shape is stabilized, pull a @Calliecake :D. Many moons ago, I remember one season AE had fantastic jeans that made my tush look like golden globes worthy of insuring. I took it for granted they'd sell that cut and cloth for the long haul. Nope. ;(

If you dry your jeans, dry on low or else the heat can destroy the spandex in them. Most have some stretch in them nowadays...

For jeggings I'm a fan of Hue. I get them when Nordstrom has their anniversary sales.

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I generally don't buy expensive jeans. I have never found any that I thought looked THAT much better than the ones I paid 20 bucks for. Seriously. And I have tried on a lot. If they did, I would be willing to pay for them. I recently ordered some that had white embroidery down the sides and at the ankles from Nordstrom. They were meh. They were light colored and I usually prefer a dark wash. Back they went. I used to buy Lee jeans at walmart and they were ok. Recently I branched out (lol) to TJ Maxx and Nordstrom rack. They were weird brands except the one pair of Lucky jeans I found. I like them as much as any other. I dry all my jeans in the dryer.I just don't care that much about them. Any excuse to get rid of old and buy new ones works for me. I hang every single top. Oh, I recently bought some Calvin Klein at costco. Yup, less than 20 bucks. Those were pretty cute too.

FinleysMom

Shiny_Rock
Premium
5’ 2” apple body who loves NYDJ Marilyn cut jeans.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results