shape
carat
color
clarity

Delayed gratification is too hard

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Could you buy the now bracelet to scratch an itch and sell it later to potentially help fund the Bucellati?

empliau

Shiny_Rock
Could you buy the now bracelet to scratch an itch and sell it later to potentially help fund the Bucellati?

I wish - and undoubtedly someone else could. I've tried to sell a few pieces of jewelry I inherited, and am easily discouraged. I've come to the conclusion that gold is only expensive when they're selling it to you, not when they're buying it from you.

Ironically Buccellati in the second-hand market brings nearly the price of new. So there's no real advantage in buying preloved!

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I wish - and undoubtedly someone else could. I've tried to sell a few pieces of jewelry I inherited, and am easily discouraged. I've come to the conclusion that gold is only expensive when they're selling it to you, not when they're buying it from you.

Ironically Buccellati in the second-hand market brings nearly the price of new. So there's no real advantage in buying preloved!

......perhaps that late family member doesnt want you to sell it ;)2

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So. When I absolutely want to talk myself out of a piece of jewelry, I think about how owning it will not make one bit of a difference a week into owning it. I imagine myself wearing it to all my favorite places and realize that wearing that new piece will not change what I do, how I feel, or how the day will go. Yup. Very sobering way of lookout at jewels. Then I tell myself, just because it’s beautiful, rare, etc, doesn’t mean that I have to own it.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm the opposite. I'll take a big beautiful functional kitchen any day over a bracelet!

I'm kind of like @nala . Will having this bracelet and wearing it 2 to 3 times a week change my life? My answer is No
(yours may be different :lol: ) Versus, will a new beautiful kitchen change my life for the better? Absolutely... every day,
3 times a day (probably more)!

It is a beautiful bracelet though...but I'm sure your kitchen will be fabulous, right!!!

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I may lose my Pricescope card but I couldn’t agree more with @tyty333. I guess what brings me joy has changed a bit.

On the other hand if you really want this bracelet please get the one you really want. It’s been my experience that settling has only made me want what I really wanted even more down the road.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’ve no idea how much the bracelet costs (it is beautiful though!) but can you put away a little each month toward it? I have sometimes found that if I wanted something long enough, I got bored with it and tired of waiting so it became less important. Kind of like outrunning the desire - ha!
Others are right - the happiness of owning the bracelet will be short lived after the first couple of weeks. It will always be beautiful when you wear it, but on some random Tuesday, it might not be so meaningful. Just some thoughts to keep in mind. If it is a do or die piece, however, you are just going to have to go for it. In five years, no one will remember the amount of money anyway - lol!

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Delayed gratification is too hard?
Hmmm. :think::think::think:
Gosh, people really DO vary.

If you felt delayed gratification was too soft ... then I'd say get it hard and get gratified. :evil2:

But if delayed gratification is too hard ...

beats me.gif

Last edited:

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
Thanks! It's in (somewhat) your neck of the woods - the stone is quarried and polished in Vermont!

I mostly grew up in Vermont, so it's home to me! It really is a show piece.
I hope you snap a shot once installed.

elizat

Ideal_Rock
I'm the opposite. I'll take a big beautiful functional kitchen any day over a bracelet!

I'm kind of like @nala . Will having this bracelet and wearing it 2 to 3 times a week change my life? My answer is No
(yours may be different :lol: ) Versus, will a new beautiful kitchen change my life for the better? Absolutely... every day,
3 times a day (probably more)!

It is a beautiful bracelet though...but I'm sure your kitchen will be fabulous, right!!!

I agree. I think you may not realize how much the new kitchen may make you happy, maybe? I would 100% rather have a new updated kitchen versus jewelry. Maybe make a fund for a fun purchase after the kitchen is done so you can buy something you love when timing is better?

We have been in uncertainty land in my house for a bit too and are in the process of getting ready to move to another state, sell our house, etc. There have been lots of things I just look at and say, welp, you can't afford that right now. I get it!

Mrs_Strizzle

Brilliant_Rock
As a real estate investor I will suggest that updating a kitchen from last century in your home will not only make your day to day nicer, will probably be way more energy sufficient, but also is the best way to increase the value of your house so is a true investment. So I kinda look at it like eating your veggies because they are good for you and make you feel good, then eating your dessert, aka buying your bracelet.

I also am a firm believer that whatever is meant to be mine, is, so will eventually come to me. Ever since I've thought of things that way I have managed to manifest amazing things. Believe you will get your bracelet and it will come, even if they happen to discontinue it before you save the amount after your home upgrades. Maybe I'm an optimist, but it has definitely worked for me.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Please show your appliances! Having a beautiful kitchen is like wearing designer jewellery.

cheers--Sharon

empliau

Shiny_Rock
HI:

Please show your appliances! Having a beautiful kitchen is like wearing designer jewellery.

cheers--Sharon

Someday! Demo is coming up in a little over a week and I think I'm panicking at possibly months with no kitchen. We're setting something up in the basement, which does have a sink, and we have a microwave and two hot plates but my husband is sure we don't need a toaster oven. I'm not arguing about it, just waiting - I think we'll need one, but we can buy it when we do.

Right now I'd rather live with my ugly inefficient kitchen, even without a new bracelet, than with a freezing basement kitchen (no dishwasher - :cry2:) for possibly months, and the coldest months of the year at that. Not to mention 9/10 of our stuff has to go into storage. But I know this is panic, and it will (after the fact) have been worth it.

Right? It's worth it, yes? Oh hell.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Someday! Demo is coming up in a little over a week and I think I'm panicking at possibly months with no kitchen. We're setting something up in the basement, which does have a sink, and we have a microwave and two hot plates but my husband is sure we don't need a toaster oven. I'm not arguing about it, just waiting - I think we'll need one, but we can buy it when we do.

Right now I'd rather live with my ugly inefficient kitchen, even without a new bracelet, than with a freezing basement kitchen (no dishwasher - :cry2:) for possibly months, and the coldest months of the year at that. Not to mention 9/10 of our stuff has to go into storage. But I know this is panic, and it will (after the fact) have been worth it.

I don't think anyone likes living through a reno--even if you have another place to reside in. Stressful for sure.. I also recall washing dishes in my tub.....in October....not so cold but dark. Now I think back, why was I renovating my new house????

I saw my neighbor after his recent reno--he said they moved out to a nice apartment in a great location in town, for two months--and his wife wanted to stay there! LOL

Much success to you! As you say, it will all be worth it. It usually is. And you can't eat your bracelet!

Last edited:

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock

my SIL had a huge house remodel (the proffesional structural stuff done by my other half, the rest DIYed by her machanic hubby as funds allowed)
anyway for two years her kitchen was in the old walk in wardrobe in the back of their bedroom
she had an electric frying pan and small appliances like a toaster and a jug
no one died of starvation but she loved her kitchen when she finally got it and they moved back into their bedroom, but the interum wasnt cold and the old walk in was more of a dressing room with a big window with a great view of the garden

i actually need a new oven but funds dont presently allow, wish me luck with xmas dinner !
i would recomend one of these,
1702942227685.png
ours is a sunbean, we did have one years ago so knew they were good, ideal for a two person household but they will roast a family sized piece of meat
i got our present one from the hospice shop for $30 - lots of people have them due to infomercials but they never use them
ours always lived on the bench so was always out and at the ready, it does really great chicken and also roast veges, last week i made lessanga and it turned out welll plus im sure it can do almost all the things an air fryer can, chips are yum
you can even make scones it in, not that i have.so long as the glass bowl fits in the sink

also a slowcooker, a slowcooker doing its thing all day will take the chill off that bacement
i often cook a frozen chock in ours (3 hours on high) and it surprising the heat that comes off it
we once had no power in our kitchen over a long weekend (could not get a sparkly to come out for want of love nor money) and had to run leads from the laundry to the microwave (our laundry is out the back door) i boiled the jug in the lounge for a cup of tea, but thankfully the fridge and freezer plug was on an uneffected circuit
and i made spair ribbs in the hall with the slowcooker which was a great idea come dinner time but at bedtime the rooms smelt of pork which wasnt so nice when one is not hungry

Last edited:

MrsC Jewelry

Rough_Rock

It will be worth it! I think it's just the anxiousness of waiting for the project to start and thinking about all the "what if's" and work involved, but once it gets started I think that anxiousness will start changing to excitement, especially once you can see progress and a finish line. Good Luck!

Ibrakeforpossums

Ideal_Rock
Surely the inconvenience (understatement!) of having your kitchen in the basement is worth, what, around $3,700? Ballpark?
If he finds you seasoning dinner with your tears, make sure he knows exactly how to fix it. Be precise, one click. What's marriage without manipulation?
Negotiation, sorry.

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
'm not arguing about it, just waiting - I think we'll need one, but we can buy it when we do.

I would suggest something like this which does so much more than a toaster oven. I have one (different brand) that I use all the time for cooking and baking when I don't need the space of my full size oven. It would give you more versatility than a microwave and a few hot plates.

And an Instantpot. Between these items, you can cook pretty much everything.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
you know millions of people in Asia for example have much more simple kitchens and their cuisines are tasty
maybe have some meal plans and some recepies up your sleeve before the demo starts
i know my SIL did a lot of stirfrys

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The slab for thecountertops:
Screenshot 2023-12-16 at 22.51.21.png

Ooh -- N/S or E/W?

empliau

Shiny_Rock
I don't really know - E/W I would guess - there's kitchen, pantry, backsplash, and breakfast room. We have 3 slabs, but one is broken so it was discounted. That's my favorite, so it's the one I pictured.

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
^ I was mostly teasing -- stein that nice long rectangle :cool2:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results