shape
carat
color
clarity

Definition / Opinion of "clarity enhanced?"

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

singer

Brilliant_Rock
Hi, Pricescopers!

When a diamond is stated as an SI1 clarity enhanced diamond, does that mean it is (or looks like) an SI1 diamond AFTER being enhanced, or was the diamond originally an SI1 before it was enhanced (and after being enhanced it looks like a higher grade clarity than SI1)? Hope that isn''t too confusing...
emcrook.gif

Also, for those of you who are knowledgeable on this subject, what is your opinion on clarity enhanced diamonds? Thanks!

~Laura

C Smith

Shiny_Rock
That means after the enhancement, be it laser drilling and/or fracture-filling, it was an SI-1 clarity. It could have been as bad as an I 2 before and maybe even an I3 but that seems less likely.

Laser holes usually don't weaken a diamond significantly but big cleavages or feathers filled with glass may one day shed the filling material and the cleavage or feather may be widened by ultrasonic cleaners. I don't have a use for clarity enahnced diamonds but that is a personal opinion only. They do have a place in the market, just not at my house or in my papers.

MustangGal

Ideal_Rock
Clarity enhanced isn''t too popular here, but I happen to have a clarity enhanced stone. The new clarity grade is what the stone looks like now after the enhancement. It was probably I1 or I2 before the enhancement. I haven''t had any issues with my stone, but I''ve only had it 4 months. It was the only way for me to afford the size diamond I wanted. If the diamond is for yourself, and you don''t mind that it''s enhanced, then it shouldn''t be a problem, but if the stone is for someone else, make sure they wouldn''t have an issue with the enhancement.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nice to see you back Singer! Apparently a C.E diamond might be graded as an SI1 after enhancement for example, but it could be an I1 or I2 prior to the process, but it is usual to pay the lower clarity grade price or price you would pay without enhancement. Also be aware there is clarity enhancement such as fracture filling and also lasering, 2 very different methods to hide different types of inclusion - the first to normally fill large feathers, the second is normally used for zapping carbon spots. Also if I remember rightly - could be wrong, GIA will grade lasered diamonds but not filled. May I ask why you are interested?
9.gif
In my opinion they DO have a place if you want a larger rock for a lower price, but you have to be aware of what you are buying and choose carefully. Also I have heard they have very little resale value, the fracture filled anyway, but I think they can be a good thing in for some consumers. Also you have to handle fracture filled diamonds with care, no ammonia for cleaning and if you need the ring worked on you need to tell the jeweller as heat and certain acids can cause the filling to come out, but these diamonds usually have a lifetime guarantee that the company will redo the enhancement for free.

Yes the diamond will look like an SI1 after enhancement in this instance, the clarity is actually usually much lower.

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
If someone or some document is saying a clarity enhanced diamond is SI1 and not explaining it sufficiently for you to know exactly what is meant, then there is a real problem. It is likely a diamond which really grades I1 or I2 and has been visually improved to look a lot better. Its value remains pretty much as it was when untreated and its liquidation value should you ever wish to sell it will also be based on its original clarity less a further factor for the "enhancement".

It is wrong to grade glass filled diamonds for clarity as they visually appear although some labs will do it. The major labs refuse. It is more correct to grade these stones as they were BEFORE treatment and make a comment on the level of improvment. These treatments are durable, but not forever. They can degrade in heated repair work and, over time, even in sunlight and UV.
\
They have their place in the scheme of things, but there are so many misrepresented ones, I''d very much hesitate to suggest ordering and paying for one sight unseen. If you can see it, love the price, and accept the many limitations, then "no problem".

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/25/2006 10:34:08 AM
Author:singer
Hi, Pricescopers!

When a diamond is stated as an SI1 clarity enhanced diamond, does that mean it is (or looks like) an SI1 diamond AFTER being enhanced
Yes.

Not a big fan of them myself. I wouldn''t go out and buy one personally, but I might consider having it done on a stone if I had one in my possession that had a glaring inclusion.

singer

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks everyone! Well, I guess I''m not going to consider getting a clarity-enhanced stone. LOL. Actually, I was just curious about it. Thanks!

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade

Dave is spot on. The standard GIA grading scale simply does not apply to CE diamonds. It’s a pretty big problem in the industry because people what to have their diamonds described using GIA sounding terms and there’s plenty of dealers and even labs who are happy to comply. The enhancement process is a darned good magic trick that can make certain diamonds look a whole lot better but it doesn’t work the same on all stones, it doesn’t mask all clarity related problems and it doesn’t actually heal anything at all. If it started out an I-2, it’s still and I-2, it’s just been gusseyed up a bit.

It’s like putting a nice paint job on an otherwise mediocre car. There’s nothing wrong with that, and it can get you several more years of usage out of your car for a reasonable price, but it leads to serious difficulties if a dealer try to sell it based on a description of the color alone. Here’s a simple rule:

Do not buy CE diamonds sight unseen.

SI1/CE’s are not the same as SI1’s. Not all CE’s are the same and the difference is entirely based on the word of the dealer. There are no reliable lab reports. Choose a dealer that you have some reason to trust and then look at the stone so you can choose one that suits your fancy. All the usual cut grading topics that get discussed here still apply.

Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ICGA(AGS) NAJA
Professional Appraisals in Denver

sunsetstar

Rough_Rock
I have a CE, and I love it ! It''s a 1.55ct Asscher E VS2. Now if it werent for the CE I would never be able to own such an amazing diamond. As far as how to take care of it. I dont use any heat on it ever, and if I ever want to reset it I will only go to the jewelers who sold it to me. They even told me if the CE has to be redone they will do it free of charge.

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Ah, the tip of the iceberg. A "VS2" CE stone. It could be an SI1 with just a tiny bit of filling to improve it to VS2. We''ve seen bearded girdles filled to hide the slight fracturing around the edge. Then again, it might be an SI2, I1, or I2. Very few consumers who use GIA terminology know that it just can''t describe CE stones with any degree of exactness or certainty. GIA terminology is often wildly misused by sellers of CE stones.

Its great when someone loves the diamond they have and understands that they need to treat it in a special way. But for others considering this path, take the time to ask the important questions about the level of filling that has taken place. That will have a large impact on "Value" and ought to have a similar impact on the "Price" you are being asked to pay.

The VALUE of a CE stone is derived from its pre-treatment clarity grade. The saleability of such a stone is altered by how well the treatment improved the looks of the diamond. Turning your inventory faster is profitable, so there is reason enough to look at CE as an option sometimes. To consumers the look is very important, but with a diamond, so is the Value.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results