shape
carat
color
clarity

Definitely not a peridot!

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Lol - I’m not exactly sure either, but the first shows figures that look like bubbles under the girdle. We couldn’t see them with the loupe, though.

The second and third photos are the same. I think it shows the same lines that are visible in the regular light photos. Possibly (probably) slightly curved striae.

It was very tricky. I was hand holding the stone, in regular tweezers (my hands are super tired now) and using lenses from sunglasses taped to the light box and microscope. and taking photos. It was a sight to see. Anyway, all in the service of learning.

Reminds me of making a pinhole camera at school

bright&shiny

Brilliant_Rock
@Daisys and Diamonds LOL absolutely, except more fiddly (if that's a word). I think both DH and I are done with the polariscope DIY for now. It showed a bit more, but perhaps with better setup can do the same under a microscope. That will be the next try.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This has been a fascinating thread! Do you still think it is coated?

bright&shiny

Brilliant_Rock
This has been a fascinating thread! Do you still think it is coated?

I’m glad you are enjoying it, too! It doesn’t seem to be coated. We followed advice and soaked it it acetone. Along with some super scrubbing, most of the traces are gone. It’s been suggested it could be flux - which makes a lot of sense and would explain the brush marks. Those are completely gone now.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results