shape
carat
color
clarity

Deep or Vivid?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Moh 10

Brilliant_Rock
When it comes to Argyle purplish-pink diamonds which is more expensive, fancy deep or fancy vivid ?

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
Fancy vivid, I believe. It means it''s a brighter, more obvious color. Deeper can mean darker.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Definitely fancy vivid. In coloured stones (and diamonds), vivid is highly desired, deep isn''t.

Moh 10

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks.
I'm talking about fancy deep, not fancy dark.

I can understand vivid being preferred over deep for other colors, but I was wondering if pink might be different because when pink gets deeper it approaches red, the most rare and expensive color.
Of course it is not graded red, but deep pink does look closer to red than vivid pink.

a1aagi-1.jpg

Moh 10

Brilliant_Rock
I agree it depends on the stone, and no two stones are ever alike.

But what I'm trying to get at is an understanding of pricing of these colored diamonds.
With white diamonds (when all else is equal) a G will be priced higher than an H.
Also when all else is equal a fancy vivid is worth more than a fancy intense, and fancy intense is worth more than fancy.
So there must be a list of ascending value like:

Faint
Very Light
Light
Fancy light
Fancy
Fancy Intense
etc.

I just need to learn of the exact order at the bottom of this list, the most pricey color grades.
They price of a stone may vary by thousands of dollars based on this order and I'm trying to determine if a certain stone is priced well.

When you look at that GIA chart the lowest-cost colors are in the upper left corner, like faint.
So at the opposite end of the chart would the vivid or deep in pink be priced higher?

I'll bet a vendor has access to the pricing guidelines.

Shopping for a white round is easy.
There are tools and tons of information and prices listed to increase your comfort level.

Shopping for a fancy colored diamond is difficult if you want to feel you are paying a fair price.
Understanding how color grades affect pricing is a good first step.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Fancy vivid is typically more expensive.

When shopping for any valuable colored diamond, I would only trust the grading by the GIA. No other lab cert has as much importance in regards to fancy colored diamonds.

ma re

Ideal_Rock
THIS LINK might be of help - it says vivid is regarded as the most valuable. However, I''m not sure if this applies equally for all the colors, cause I''m under the impression that colors like blue would be more valuable with a grade of deep (and resemble a sapphire), than with a grade of vivid (and resemble a paraiba tourmaline). But of course, I''d advise you to stick to the official GIA info. And THIS is another link that you might find useful in your colored diamond quest.

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
Moh-unfortunately with fancy colored diamonds there are many factors that go into pricing as has been stated. One other element to consider with how rare of a stone you are looking at is cut-fancy colored diamonds are less likely to be found in round brilliants and step cuts.

I am excited to see what stone you end up purchasing-good luck :) Either way you go Vivid or Deep purplish pink, it will be a rare and unique purchase---both are highly sought after in the right stone!

dkodner

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Moh- Vivid does does not mean it is more desirable then deep, not even as a general rule. Deeps are definitely very sought after. As you know already, each stone is unique and the intensity of color is only one of several factors in it''s value. I know you are trying to get a general idea of how pricing changes specifically with pinks, and if it is different because of it''s close proximity in a 3D colorspace to red, but there just is no specific rule of thumb. I have seen deep and vivid pinks that are gorgeous and some with those grades that are not attractive at all, and all of it priced accordingly. A deep pink is still a different color than a fancy purplish red or fancy red. I wish there was a better answer for you than that, but buying colored diamonds is very difficult even for a seasoned veteran. There have been attempts to print pricing guides for color, but when you go to buy or sell, they seem to mean nothing really. Just getting real info on what has sold and for how much is almost impossible. Most of the large important stones, or small important stones for that matter, are bought and sold very privately without anyone knowing prices but the people involved. Auction prices are about the only guide you really have, since those are real sales, but I have yet to see a comprehensive list compiled of all of those sales. It has been my experience that if you are working with a dealer who is inexperienced in colored diamonds, they will price by paper alone, and will consider a vivid grade better than a deep, simply for lack of understanding. If the dealer works in colored diamonds, there will be no set answer to the vivid/deep question. Ma Re, you are correct about blues, at least in my experience. I have a 1.01ct vivid blue and a .68 ct. deep blue. The deep blue looks like the finest sapphire, but with even more brilliance, and is much more expensive then the vivid. I hope this helps a little bit at least...
1.gif

DiamondFlame

Brilliant_Rock
dkodner made a gd point. Extremely rare collectibles usually command prices that collectors would be willing to meet, and in the case of rare colored diamonds, this usually apply to the larger carat range. Which would be more sought after? Deep pink which approximates but is NOT red? Or a vivid pink that is clearly pink??

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results