shape
carat
color
clarity

Deco...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Remember when you said that the ''trough'' under your stone made it kaleidoscopic? Do you notice the difference all of time (different lights) or mostly just in bright light? Is it really a drastic difference?

Did you see this thread that is mostly suzy and I discussing this type of setting? https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/settings-for-max-brilliance.47744/

And who made your ring? I really love it :) I love the double rows of milgrain and might do something like that on mine. I figure since I''m back to square one on the jeweler thing, I might as well reexplore my options hehe :D

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/23/2006 1:38:26 PM
Author:Cehrabehra
Remember when you said that the ''trough'' under your stone made it kaleidoscopic? Do you notice the difference all of time (different lights) or mostly just in bright light? Is it really a drastic difference?

And who made your ring? I really love it :) I love the double rows of milgrain and might do something like that on mine. I figure since I''m back to square one on the jeweler thing, I might as well reexplore my options hehe :D

Heyya Cehra ...

Haven''t checked out that thread but i will. Re: the trough ... the super kaleidescopic effect only happens when the metal is perfectly polished & clean (read: right out of the jeweler''s magic back room). And only lasts a few hours ... but honestly I don''t think I could take more than that -- it''s CRAZY.

I wonder if I had an ultrasonic if it would happen more often .. but even that would "polish" the mirror ya know? Or maybe it would?? I''d guess that the mirror has a mild effect on light return but I really don''t know for sure. My stone does look different in this set up than it did in prongs though ... reflecting differently?? Maybe just because the stone has some leakage which makes it more sensitive to its surroundings than, say, a super faceted RB. Who knows??

Okay .. who made my setting ... HA! It''s a franken-setting! As I changed it after a few months! The original setting (Ol'' Stabby) was done by someone who does work for Golda Jewelers in NYC''s diamond district (initials engraved in ring "e.f.n."). The prongs had tiny diamonds on them and were very thick ... stone came loose, hard to tighten w/o damaging the diamonds on the prongs ...so ... I devised a plan to modify the setting - removing the existing head entirely & retrofitting prongs & a mirrored trough into the existing setting. A local jewelry guru (Bruce at Hummingbird Jewelers) made a model that seemed to work & sent it out to be cast in platinum ... stuck it in there & miligrained it & voila ... Sparkly 2.0.

The double miligrain parts are all Golda''s mysterious "e.f.n." ... who made my platinum version of a white gold one I saw just sitting in their random assortment of settings.

Original thread \"On Da Handzzzz\"

Later \"Re-Deco-ration\" thread

Is that a long, crazy enough story for ya??

Glad ya like the final product!! I do
30.gif
it so ... even after the parade of pretties on P-scope EVERY DARN DAY!!
3.gif
9.gif

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
hehehe - trust me, I''ve gone over your threads more than once and i def like the new head better.... I never noticed that it had the bowl/trough under it until I read you talking to kenny about it! So of course I had to read through them again!! My husband was the first to mention having a reflective bowl but I thought it was corny until suzy linked me to all of those rings and I saw what they did!! Ever since then I''ve been convinced I need something similar for my stone - I knew I was going to get an OMC cushion type and I knew they were leaky. I do plan to get an US to clean it every day too lo I don''t think too many rainbows could exist for me ;-) When I really stopped and looked, I noticed that your ring has a lot of qualities I was originally going for before I took the baguettes out - and since I''m going to have plain matte metal in the middle, I don''t know if the double rows of milgrain will look rght, but I *love* the way it looks. I''m going to figure some way of making the metal part stand on its own so I can do the double rows. With the jeweler I was going to just do single rows of it but since I''m starting over I might as well explore some of these other options, right? haha I noticed you''d never mentioned who did your ring, so thank you for sharing that :) Did they ever go on to be an internet vendor? I do like the original head but it seems impractical in ways.... I want a lower set head with no corners. Your ring is just gorgeous.... you''ve got me more convinced than ever that I''m on the right track with the bowl/trough. I want to get some idealscope images of it before/after and see if there is a big difference lol thank you!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results