shape
carat
color
clarity

decisions, decisions

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

dcgent

Rough_Rock
Engagement ring purchase driving me crazy.
I have narrowed down to 4 rounds, 2 from a private dealer with good credentials and 2 from city jeweler who said he would try to match the private guy in price so he could make money on the band. All are GIA cert. Any advice for a newbie would be much appreciated

1) 1.20 G, SI2 but eye-clean to me $5200
2) 1.02 F, SI1 $5500
3) 1.00 F SI1 table 55%, depth 63.7 $4800
4) 1.04 G, SI1 table 56%, depth 62.6%

Since they''re GIA, I don''t have pavillion or crown info and I wonder if the depths on 3 and 4 are worrisome. Have I gotten too bogged down in the minutiae?

Thanks for any feedback--it''s tough deciding among these comparable stones. I don''t think I can go too wrong but I wonder if I''m missing something.

johnt

Rank Amateur

Brilliant_Rock
----------------
On 4/4/2003 4:15:20 PM dcgent wrote:

Have I gotten too bogged down in the minutiae?

----------------

Minutiae is what were all about here!
1.gif

Unfortunately your info runs a little light in the minutia department and we don't have much to fuss over. I think the pricing is right in the ballpark, and since these dealers are local to you you'll have the luxury of putting your peepers on these. Depths over 62.5 deserve the hairy eyeball.
Up_to_something.gif

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
Um, not enough info to work with. Have you seen them all? Is the first one as lovely and sparkly as the others? If so, might as well go with it since it's significantly bigger.

dcgent

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the quick replies.

I found the table/depth specs on the first 2
G, SI2 1.20 - 61.7% depth, 57% table, Good polish, Very Good Symmetry
F, SI1, 1.02 - 61.7% depth, 57% table, Very Good Polish, Good Symmetry

Yes, I've seen them all and to my untrained eye they're comparable in brilliance. I guess that's the key thing in the final analysis as long as I'm doing ok on price. I'm leaning toward the 1.04 G, SI1--the only marked inclusion, and the only one i can see with a loupe is on the edge and should be able to be hidden with a prong. The 1.2 G, SI2 is good for a SI2 but I get antsy with a SI2 over a SI1. Have a great weekend--time for me to mull some more. Any more feedback is also appreciated.

cheers,
johnt

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results