H
Depth 59%
Table 56%
Poly/Sym Very good/Very Good
Medium blue fluorescence
Measurements 4.36*7.77*2.58
Ratio: 1.78
ASET

Both are described as eye clean. I am inclined to go with the .46 as it is better color and price, unless there is something in the size or ratio I should know.

Also, it terms of getting the stone set, I am buying the setting from one place and a stone from online and the online place is going to charge me and take up to 2 weeks. If I bring them to a local jeweler, how long will it take them to set it in MInneapolis?

Your input is welcomed and appreciated!!!

1340369aset.jpg

1376335aset.jpg

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Can you post the real life photos of the two stones?

I am not the ASET master, but like the first better based only on this information. Can you ask the vendor to comment on the severity of the bow tie?

versk

Rough_Rock

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
versk|1305070649|2917897 said:
Here they are

http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/F-VS2-Ideal-Cut-Marquise-Diamond-1340369.asp

"I'm happy to say that diamond 1340369 is perfectly eye clean and faces icy white. Its bow tie blends well and it has the best light performance of the bunch."

http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/H-VS2-Ideal-Cut-Marquise-Diamond-1376335.asp

"Diamond 1376335 is eye clean as well and has a nice H color performance. Additionally, its bow tie is gray and not offensive in appearance."

Well the .46 is the winner in the gemologists opinion then. I would listen to that!

versk

Rough_Rock
Thank you, That is also what I thought.

What about the actual setting of the diamond? How long would that take at a B&M store? Does it seem worth it to send off the ring for up to two weeks to pay $150 to have the stone set? Is that the best option?

slg47

Ideal_Rock
I'm confused...have you already bought the setting? where did you get the setting?

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
JA can sell you a setting. Or send them the setting to set it if you already own it, for a fee. Or take the stone and setting to a local place who can likely set it in a hour! (though they will not take financial responsibility for your marquise during setting.) I recommend having JA set the stone.

Gibson486

Rough_Rock
They can set it right there (if they want to). I had my diamond set right in front of me. It took them 45 minutes.

Also, i say "if they want to" because it depends if the jeweler set it himself or if you brings it to a setter.

versk

Rough_Rock
James Allen did not have a setting similar to what I want and for them to custom make it, they wanted 3 times the price. James Allen said they cannot buy settings that other stores buy or something. So I bought the setting from Shane company.

So a jeweler could set in an hour? But is it true that marquise could break during the setting? I asked if James Allen was liable in the setting of the stone and the rep. I spoke to said "well, Diamonds don't usually break." I was not comforted by that.

So my plan is to send of the ShaneCo setting and then pay and wait for the ring to come back from JA. It seems like there must be something I am missing here since it can't be that unusual to buy the setting and stone from different places.

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
what does the setting look like? maybe we can help find a stock piece from a casting house that JA can order from.

slg47

Ideal_Rock
why not get it set at shane co?

stci

Ideal_Rock
I prefer the first one cause I love elongated marquise. Really beautiful!

versk

Rough_Rock
I was under the impression that having it set by someplace I did not buy the stone from was dangerous because if it breaks, I am then the proud owner of a broken diamond. Is that something I should be worried about or is that not a real concern?

It looks like this:

diamond_oval_0_onethird.jpeg

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
have you seen this setting in person? unless it is an exclusive design to ShaneCo (which doesn't appear to me from the picture you posted could be wrong... looks like a peg head on a slight shaped shank...hmm just got to figure out where they bought it from?) then it can be bought from the casting house from many jewelers

Call jeweler's mutual insurance as when I contacted them for a quote they would insure the loose stone and setting while it is being set. You may need to clarify with them, this would solve your problem.

how about this?

http://www.stuller.com/products/12491/?groupId=6124

slg47

Ideal_Rock
versk|1305083196|2918095 said:
I was under the impression that having it set by someplace I did not buy the stone from was dangerous because if it breaks, I am then the proud owner of a broken diamond. Is that something I should be worried about or is that not a real concern?

It looks like this:

no, I would definitely get insurance during the setting process like D&T mentioned! this is what I did since I did not purchase the stone and setting at the same place.

versk

Rough_Rock
I have seen it in person. I would tend to doubt it is unique to ShaneCo either. But I have no other info on it besides what ShaneCo website shows. I like that last one! How much would that be? Is that a tension setting?

So by getting the insurance on it, I could then just have it set here locally? That would be great!

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
the last link is very pretty (not a complete tension as there is an underbar), you would need to aks JA for a quote and I'm not sure if there will be prongs or not with the setting? its just the shank was what I was looking for, it comes directly from Stuller so its not custom it shouldn't be too much less than $500 possibly just my guestimation though :wacko: based on another jeweler giving me an approximation of $/dwt. Anyways, just double check with Shaneco as they do charge a hefty setting fee. it was like $250-$300/ct to set a stone a couple of years ago when I checked with them. If you could get the setting from JA and get it all done with them while they have the diamond, it may save a little bit of $ as well just a thought

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
versk|1305084727|2918132 said:
I have seen it in person. I would tend to doubt it is unique to ShaneCo either. But I have no other info on it besides what ShaneCo website shows. I like that last one! How much would that be? Is that a tension setting?

So by getting the insurance on it, I could then just have it set here locally? That would be great!

I like the third one too. Stuller is a casting company that many jewelers can order from, so I suspect that JA can just order the setting in for you. The third one is a "bridge" setting, not a true tension mount. Much easier to set and safer.

Call and ask the rep again about responsibility for the diamond. I have found some JA reps are not very informed, unfortunately, in terms of the types of information that a consumer might want, especially a PS consumer. Typically, when a vendor sets a stone they have sold you they take responsibility for it, since it is not owned by you until they deliver it to your hot little hands! It is rare, but with a Marq or Pear or Princess, with those shart corners, I would not want to take the chance of it being my diamond and uninsured. So call Jewelers Mutual if you opt for local setting. Peace of mind, ya know? Insurance on your ring, which should be valued under $1000, will be very affordable!

versk

Rough_Rock
I would love to get it all from JA, but I found them to not be very helpful with this setting.

I will call JA first thing in the morning to see what they say! Do I ask if they can buy from Stuller? If I get it set locally, I agree insurance is a good idea.

If I do need to get it set locally, do you know of a good jeweler who might set it in Minneapolis?

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Call JA and ask if they can order a mount from Stuller for you. If the representative does not sound like they *really* know what they are talking about, I would personally ask to speak to someone else or a manager perhaps.

Otherwise, call around to local jewlers and ask who can order from Stuller. Or better yet, go in person to a few places, look at the quality of the setting jobs on the stones in their diplays, and ask in person about ordering from Stuller. They are probably the biggest casting company out there, so most jewlers can order from them in my experience.

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
sorry, I don't know anyone there :(sad

But I agree with Dreamer. Do go to a few local shops (avoid mall if possible) ask them about their setting fee as well.

versk

Rough_Rock
So James Allen will not buy from Stuller. They only sell settings that are made for particularly them. But now I now I do like this setting. Can I just walk into a jeweler and say I want this ring? How would I do this?

I have seen Brian Knox recommended here before, would he be a good place to go in Minneapolis?

Any help on how to buy this ring?

http://www.stuller.com/products/50022/?groupId=21807

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
when I've inquired with Knox Jewelers, they specifically said they do not SELL their setting without Their stones or Set outside stones. Its unfortunate I think to have this business model especially if a person is willing to pay a little more to get a stone set with them in THEIR setting. So I wouldn't even bother with them.

ETA: Find another jeweler in the area... hmm surely there are plenty out there?

ETA: otherwise, I do recommend Michael at Gemshoppe, you would need to send your stone to him and he can buy from Stuller. I've had great success buying many stuller pieces through him and sending my stones in.

http://www.gemshoppe.com/

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
D&T|1305134329|2918688 said:
ETA: otherwise, I do recommend Michael at Gemshoppe, you would need to send your stone to him and he can buy from Stuller. I've had great success buying many stuller pieces through him and sending my stones in.

http://www.gemshoppe.com/

Great recommendation of Micheal E! That is what I would do! I have read very nice things about him AND many PS photos of his work attest it is well done.

I would call local jewlers and ask if they carry Stuller mounts or can order them from a catalogue rather than going in person. Then go visit the places that say they can order it/do carry Stuller.

versk

Rough_Rock
UGHHHHHH.

So I ordered this setting this morning from a local jeweler. But now JA is saying they can get the setting from Stuller (and then set it for free)

I don't know how much they will charge for the setting, but i feel bad canceling on the jeweler that is ordering the ring. If JA comes back cheaper than what the local jeweler quoted for the setting, can they send the setting back to Stuller if I cancel?

Is it usual to get the run around with JA?

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would call JA immediately and ask them what their price is. I would feel more comfortable that the vendor who sold me the diamond set it as well (as long as the price is reasonable since it is a concern as well)

As for the jeweler that already ordered it, Sometimes there is a cut off time for which they need to place their order and perhaps they can retract it as well? best to call them and tell them if they can hold off for today just so you can be certain its the right setting or something along the line of your diamond on hold as well.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
D&T|1305143458|2918893 said:
I would call JA immediately and ask them what their price is. I would feel more comfortable that the vendor who sold me the diamond set it as well (as long as the price is reasonable since it is a concern as well)

As for the jeweler that already ordered it, Sometimes there is a cut off time for which they need to place their order and perhaps they can retract it as well? best to call them and tell them if they can hold off for today just so you can be certain its the right setting or something along the line of your diamond on hold as well.

Ditto. Move fast!

versk

Rough_Rock
Thank you! I called the Jeweler and they had not yet placed the order. So now JA will set it and I am saving the cost of setting the stone buying insurance for that process.

This makes my life much easier! I still feel a little bad about "standing up" the local jeweler (it is not a chain) as they were very helpful and nice. I should now have the ring by mid week next week.

This board and all of you have been so helpful in this process (especially when shops like JA weren't).Thank you for all the help in finding the setting (especially you D&T) and the advice in setting it (Dreamer D). I like this much better than the ShaneCo one and hopefully my girlfriend will too ;))

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
awww I am soo excited for you :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl: I cannot wait to see your finished ring, please don't forget to come back post the finished product.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results