shape
carat
color
clarity

Decision time: need feedback.

gonnamarryjennie

Rough_Rock
Ok, my local jeweler, trusted by my girlfriend and her family, is offering me a stone that seems like a great deal.

I've seen the stone, through a loupe, and through a ideal scope. It performs well.

My only concerns are the crown and pavilion angles. The stone performs well by the HCA, getting a score of 0.7.

Here are the particulars of the stone:

Table: 56%
Depth: 61.3%
Crown angle: 37.5 degrees
Pavilion angle: 40 degrees
Girdle: thin to medium, faceted (3%)

1.81 carats
F color
SI1 Clarity - and I'm pretty satisfied with the placement/arrangement of the inclusions.
Very good cut, polish, and symmetry

Through the ideal scope the slight lack of symmetry was evident, and the arrows seemed somewhat "dispersed" I.e. the shafts were not tight, they were wide.

All that being said it was still a beauty. I looked at several stones and it stood up really well.

I'm being offered this stone at $15.9K.

Need feedback.

RockBrat

Shiny_Rock
I'm a big believer in choosing diamonds with your eyes. All the tools are nice and so helpful but I seem to always gravitate towards diamonds that are not the super ideal cuts that most people here want. Usually the diamonds i like score between 2.8 and 4 on the HCA, lol. And I have seen several diamonds that score really well on the HCA that definitely shouldn't (but this is due to other factors that the HCA doesn't account for). The angles should work in harmony and be pretty but I don't feel they need to always be within super ideal proportions. That crown angle is high. I don't know how that affects performance so it will be interesting to hear what others have to say. Hopefully someone can tell you how a high crown angle affects the diamond, hopefully a more concrete answer than light leakage, because I'm curious too.

I do feel symmetry is very important. I don't mind fat arrows but if the arrowhead doesn't match up to the long line of the arrow, i would pass on it for myself.

gr8leo87

Shiny_Rock
Eventually all that matters is that you saw the diamond your self and liked it.

Other members will chime in on what the price is like.

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Interesting stone.
Any stone with pav angle of less than 40.6/40.5 does not qualify for GIA ex. Thus this stone with pav angle of 40.0 scores very good for cut.

It is a limitation of HCA. It does not filter stones with extremly deep/shallow or shallow/deep combo.

As long as you like the stone, and know exactly what you are getting, have seen an ideal cut stone, and pay a fair price for very good cut stone,

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Is this a GIA graded stone? how much $$?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I wouldn't buy it or recommend buying it without an idealscope images-- buy one for 25 bucks and use it.

Also you need to see the stone in all kinds of lighting including otside in sun and shade. Not just under jewelers lights.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results