shape
carat
color
clarity

Deciding on colors for bridesmaids dresses!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

blushingbride

Brilliant_Rock
Hello Ladies -

I am trying to decide on what colors I should use for my bridesmaid dresses. This past weekend we went to Vera Wang and found a beautiful dress which we all loved!
30.gif
However, I''m torn on the color! I''m having six bridesmaids and half like the navy and the other half like the plum color. See below for the plum.

GBSPlum_12.jpg

blushingbride

Brilliant_Rock
This is navy - it''s very dark - almost looks black!

GBSNavy.jpg

blushingbride

Brilliant_Rock
Keep in mind that the dress material will be a smooth satin and that my dress is ivory. Below is a sketch of the dress and our consultant at Vera Wang said we can make it a sweetheart neckline and add a colored sash made out of toole. This dresses will look very similar to my Vera Wang dress (it has a sweetheart neckline and is the same modified A-line style). See the sketch below. I was thinking the sash on the navy would be a light blue color or the plum. The plum dress would have either a navy sash or a black one. Thoughts please!!!
35.gif

SKMBT_C45007011714392.jpg

eleguin

Shiny_Rock
What month is your wedding and what is the setting? (beach, hotel, etc?) I love the navy, but I think the plum might be a better bridesmaid dress color. When I was choosing colors I debated between bergundy and espresso. I liked the espresso dresses by themselves, but wasn''t too crazy about having such dark colors for bridesmaids dresses. It is entirely dependent on your vision for your wedding though. I''m sure both will look amazing!
1.gif

blushingbride

Brilliant_Rock
Last thing! The flowers I want to have would be blue (or purple) and ivory hydrangeas, white orchids, white roses and white peonies. So really, a lot of ivory and white colors with a hint of blue, light blue and purple. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!
36.gif

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
A friend of mine had plum bm dresses - I thought they were really nice. I think they will look nicer than the navy (it really looks black!). When is the wedding?

dtnyc

Brilliant_Rock
I vote for navy- to me it''s more re-wearable. Yes- plum was a v. popular color this past fall, but navy is a classic nuetral color and I think looks really elegant for evening.

I don''t know if I would want a sash- it might look best if you stand out and are the only one w/ the sash.

blushingbride

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/17/2007 3:45:52 PM
Author: dtnyc
I vote for navy- to me it''s more re-wearable. Yes- plum was a v. popular color this past fall, but navy is a classic nuetral color and I think looks really elegant for evening.

I don''t know if I would want a sash- it might look best if you stand out and are the only one w/ the sash.
Thanks DTNYC - that''s what I thought too. But, what would the guys wear? My dad refuses to wear anything but black for his tux. So, what color would the guy''s vest be? I will not do navy blue and black! My parents were worried if the girls wore navy and the guys wore black (and lets say black vests) that the wedding party would be too dark for pictures, etc.

janinegirly

Ideal_Rock
date / season of wedding?

aquarius_ser

Shiny_Rock
Honestly, I''ve been in 5 weddings and NEVER re-wore a dress... I would pick what I wanted and not worry about it... my vote is for Plum - I love it

blushingbride

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/17/2007 3:45:52 PM
Author: dtnyc

Oh - my dress doesn''t have a sash. It has beaded and embroidered flowers under my bust line, but that''s it.

blushingbride

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/17/2007 3:50:15 PM
Author: janinegirly
date / season of wedding?
It''s August 25, 2007

sumbride

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/17/2007 3:48:44 PM
Author: blushingbride

Thanks DTNYC - that''s what I thought too. But, what would the guys wear? My dad refuses to wear anything but black for his tux. So, what color would the guy''s vest be? I will not do navy blue and black! My parents were worried if the girls wore navy and the guys wore black (and lets say black vests) that the wedding party would be too dark for pictures, etc.

What''s wrong with navy and black? A traditional tux is black... it just is. I think it goes ok with navy dresses. It''s not as if your dress goes with your FIs tux specifically either.

Of course, I may be biased...
2.gif
My girls will be in navy blue and the guys in black tuxes... I think it will look really elegant and it is an evening wedding so appropriate, plus the girls are thrilled with the slimming effect of Navy.

dtnyc

Brilliant_Rock
I was in a navy wedding 2 Novembers ago- all of the guys wore tuxes w/ gold ties and the groom wore an ivory tie?
My friend (who''s wedding it was) had us wear gold shoes and we all carried ivory flowers- her dress was ivory lace top and ivory satin bottom (a monique) w/ the gold sash.

It was all very elegant looking for an evening wedding. I don''t think that it would be too dark in pictures unless the background was dark. I will find some pictures from my friend''s wedding.

blushingbride

Brilliant_Rock
True - when I was in high school, the rule all the girls lived by was navy blue does not go with black. I guess it's just been embedded in my brain so many times that it never appealed to me.
38.gif
My wedding is in the evening and it's at a castle so it will definitely be elegant!
9.gif
That's why I liked the navy too...but some of the girls think the plum is different and will add a bit of color. The plum is dark too so, it may still give that elegant feeling too. *sigh* What to do, what to do!

dtnyc

Brilliant_Rock
Here are some pics (all w/ my crappy camera- so not much flash) - the groomsmen wore gold ties & vests, the groom wore ivory or white?
47b5cf35b3127cce951f8671219a00000036108AauGbJs4bOd

In the pic below- I am to the far left- beside 2 friends wearing black dresses:
47b5cf35b3127cce951f85efe0ad00000016108AauGbJs4bOd

2 other BM's w/ their dates- note the one guy in the tux w/ the gold tie-
47b5cf34b3127cce9519e0f1790400000016108AauGbJs4bOd

another- don't mind the lambchop doll- it was the end of the night!
47b5cf34b3127cce9519e0d9792c00000016108AauGbJs4bOd

blushingbride

Brilliant_Rock
Those dresses look lovely!
5.gif
It''s nice to see that the navy shows up on camera too. I will have to run the gold idea past my FI tonight - not sure if he''ll like that or not.

AndyRosse

Ideal_Rock
Plum
1.gif

sumbride

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/17/2007 4:03:43 PM
Author: blushingbride
True - when I was in high school, the rule all the girls lived by was navy blue does not go with black. I guess it''s just been embedded in my brain so many times that it never appealed to me.

I did tell my girls they couldn''t wear black shoes with their navy dresses! I had to specify that. They haven''t decided on shoes yet, but they will NOT be black! I think the guys will wear champagne or light blue vests... haven''t figured that out yet.

The plum is lovely too and would also be appropriate. Maybe flip a coin?

Fancy605

Brilliant_Rock
What lovely dresses! There is a tool on the David''s Bridal website that might make your decision a little easier. You can find a dress similar in style to your bridesmaid dresses, and one similar in style to your gown, and create a virtual bridal party. You can change the color of the dresses and everything. You can also add groomsmen and such. I know the dresses won''t be exactly the same as yours, but it can give you a good idea of what the colors will look like all together. I used it to figure out what sashes I wanted on the Bill Levkoff Dresses that my bridesmaids are wearing.

http://davidsbridal.com/dress_your_wedding.jsp

mercoledi

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/17/2007 3:50:29 PM
Author: aquarius_ser
Honestly, I''ve been in 5 weddings and NEVER re-wore a dress... I would pick what I wanted and not worry about it... my vote is for Plum - I love it

Ditto, I wouldn''t worry too much about re-wearability for a very formal dress. Your bridesmaids are in it to be with you, not to score a new ball gown.

To get back on topic... I love the plum, I think it''s very refined and easy to wear. gold or ivory sashes and vests would pull the whole thing together.

ImpatientOne

Brilliant_Rock
I like the plum too!

NYCsparkle

Brilliant_Rock
what color flowers are you going to have?

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Plum is one of my personal favorites, so I''d choose that one. I guess it depends on other colors you''re planning on using in your wedding (for flowers, etc.).

blushingbride

Brilliant_Rock
Fancy - thank you for the link to the david bridal website!! It''s been fun putting my virtual wedding party together online! It really gives you a good idea of what things will look like.

The flowers I want to have would be blue (or purple) and ivory hydrangeas, white orchids, white roses and white peonies. So really, a lot of ivory and white colors with a hint of blue, light blue and purple. Thoughts???

qtiekiki

Ideal_Rock
I think the plum is lovely, and would go well with your flower colors.

havernell

Brilliant_Rock
Since you said half of your bridesmaids like the plum and half like the navy, would you consider just having both color dresses in your wedding (i.e. 3 plum, 3 navy)? You could have the plum dresses with a navy sash and the navy dresses with a plum sash to pull the look together and give them a coordinated/"matched" feel. I think this could be a really cool and unique look, plus it would make all of your bridesmaids happy!

I would seriously consider it. Good luck!

dtnyc

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/17/2007 11:13:08 PM
Author: havernell
Since you said half of your bridesmaids like the plum and half like the navy, would you consider just having both color dresses in your wedding (i.e. 3 plum, 3 navy)? You could have the plum dresses with a navy sash and the navy dresses with a plum sash to pull the look together and give them a coordinated/''matched'' feel. I think this could be a really cool and unique look, plus it would make all of your bridesmaids happy!

I would seriously consider it. Good luck!

I think this is a GREAT idea and that way each girl could wear a color she really liked.

Even though I have never re-worn a BM dress, I know how expensive the Vera Wang dresses are rather pricey- (as my SIL chose them for her wedding and I wore one in a friend''s wedding in June) it would be nice for them to have the option.

blushingbride

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks Everyone!

I''m not sure if I want to have two different color dresses for the bridesmaids, but don''t think the thought hasn''t crossed my mind! I guess my biggest question is which color would go best with my flowers, the groom/groomsmen tuxes and my dress (ivory).

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results