shape
carat
color
clarity

Deciding between two stones...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

gingerandmichael

Rough_Rock
I think I''ve narrowed my search down to two stones...but I''m stuck. I know which is the better purchase, but I HAVE to take price into consideration (more importantly, value for money). Which of these would you go with - is the .2 difference on the HCA worth the extra money?

Diamond 1

Shape: Round
Carat weight: 1.66
Cut: Ideal
Color: J
Clarity: SI1
Certificate: GIA

Depth: 61.6%
Table: 55%
Polish: Excellent
Symmetry: Excellent
Girdle: Thin to slightly thick
Culet: None
Fluorescence: None
Measurements: 7.60*7.63*4.69

Scores a .8 on the HCA
$8770

Diamond 2

Shape: Round
Carat weight: 1.59
Cut: Ideal
Color: J
Clarity: SI1
Certificate: AGS

Depth: 61.3%
Table: 54.7%
Polish: Ideal
Symmetry: Ideal
Girdle: Thin to medium
Culet: None
Fluorescence: Neglible
Measurements: 7.52*7.56*4.62

Scores a 1 on the HCA
$8080

I like the size of the first, along with the lower HCA score -- but how will that .2 HCA difference rate to my eye? I''m not dead set on perfection (as you can tell by my preference of warm color), but this is well and truly my last upgrade...I don''t want to have any regrets.

So, in your opinion, is .2 worth nearly $700 ($1000 once you convert it to my Australian dollars!)?

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Crown and pavillion angles please? Any pics or Idealscope images?

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/18/2007 7:40:11 AM
Author: Lorelei
Crown and pavillion angles please? Any pics or Idealscope images?
You beat me.
9.gif

I''m confused, did you accidently reverse the prices? The second one is less...

Also, the size difference would be negligable.

gingerandmichael

Rough_Rock
Those are the right prices - the 1.66 is $8770 and the 1.59 is $8080.

Diamond 1 angles:

Crown 34.7
Pavillion 40.6

Diamond 2 angles:

Crown 33.9
Pavillion 40.8

The first diamond isn''t in-house, so I''d have to get it called in for IS to be arranged. I could ask for IS images of Diamond 2, I just didn''t want to waste the vendor''s time if the majority of people here think Diamond 1 is the absolute clear cut winner.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
OK, it''s very early, and I just finished my first cup of coffee, so bear with me here.

You asked if the .2 difference on the HCA score was worth the extra money, that would be the second stone. But the first stone has a price of 690.00 more, does it not? Am I still asleep? lol

Also, I''m not crazy about the girdle on the first, it has a wide range, going from thin to sl thick. Ideally the second girdle is what you want to see.

gingerandmichael

Rough_Rock
26.gif
Hehe, it''s very late here and I''m just getting ready to hit the sack, so maybe we''re both partially asleep!!

I''m sorry, I misworded what I meant. What I was trying to convey was the question of whether the .2 difference (not "extra" as I previously wrote) was worth the extra money. The score is lower, but low is good (please tell me I''m not mistaken there). So the .2 lower score for the more expensive diamond (number 1) makes sense - I just don''t know what .2 really signifies in the grand scheme of things. Is it worth paying $700 for that slight better HCA rating?

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
On the HCA, a lower score does NOT mean better. Ideally, you want a score of around 1 to 2. Without an IS, I''d prefer the second stone. But I''d really try to get IS on both.
1.gif

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
another vote for getting idealscope images.

tanalasta

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I''d probably pick the second one as well.

But yes, you need an IS image.

Personally not a fan of J/SI1 - prefer something slightly higher up in the colour/clarity scale but if budget is important then unless you compared it to something at least several grades higher ... well at the end of the day it''s still acceptable. :)

A well cut diamond will more than make up for it anyhow.

hikerchick

Brilliant_Rock
An IS image for both would help but looking at the info you have, I would pick #2 . . .

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results