shape
carat
color
clarity

Deciding between two emerald rings (anniversary post)

Elisestern

Rough_Rock
My Dh is going to buy me an emerald and diamond platinum ring for our 10 year anniversary. I have wanted a rig like this for a long time, and wanted an emerald for my engagement ring, but, he went with diamonds. I am deciding between two rings I saw on eBay. The first is a Steven kirsch setting, though I read on another post that the emerald isn’t original to the ring and is meh. I am also concerned it might be too large for daily wear on my right hand. It is 18mm north to south.

6D333BD1-856D-45FA-9A51-51AF70229C5E.png

The other ring is an Art Deco ring and may be a bit more interesting, it is 14mm north to south which is a better daily wear size.

655284EF-66D2-43C5-9E62-9DDB12C87EE8.png

I think I like the first better, but I am concerned it’s too large and flashy. Any input welcome!!

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The emeralds in the Deco ring GLOW! However, can you get more pics of the first (or both)?
Also maybe a hand shot from seller.

RunningwithScissors

Ideal_Rock
You may want to move this post to the colored gemstones thread. There are experts there who can help you.

Also, emeralds are not particularly durable. I personally would not wear an emerald ring as my everyday ring for this reason.

Jr3

Rough_Rock
The first is BREATH TAKING!!! Have fun with your decision, God bless!!!

Big Fat Facets

Brilliant_Rock
im loving the glowy art deco emerald ring! i wouldn't wear an emerald as a primary ring as they are fragile and prone to cleaving and cracking. but they sure are beautiful and dreamy

L

lydial

I like the deco setting better but the stones are slightly off in size which would bother me in that setting. I just don't love the halo cluster - it just isn't a "wow" ring. For comparison, I found this tourmaline cluster a while back and it still is available - not an emerald but a dramatic and beautifully made setting with a gorgeous durable green tourmaline (just for price comp to the ebay halo/cluster).... https://www.etsy.com/listing/559633002/emerald-cut-green-tourmaline-old?ref=user_profile&pro=1&frs=1

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Neither of those are “great” in my humble opinion. The first one, the setting is lovely but the emerald is yuk.
the second one, love the Art Deco vibe but the mismatched stones is a negative.
what is your budget?
im a bit (ok, a lot) of an eBay shopper!

Elisestern

Rough_Rock
Neither of those are “great” in my humble opinion. The first one, the setting is lovely but the emerald is yuk.
the second one, love the Art Deco vibe but the mismatched stones is a negative.
what is your budget?
im a bit (ok, a lot) of an eBay shopper!

Hi! I don’t think the mismatch bothers me so much on the antique ring. And I adore the setting on the first, but the emerald seems dark. My budget is 3-5k.

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If (and it's a very big if) the photos are comparable, then the color of the emerald in the first ring is poor. I like the emeralds in the Deco ring a lot more -- color, clarity, and cut -- although this "open-book" look is not one I have seen before; I think there is a reason designers like threes and not twos.

LemonMoonLex

Ideal_Rock
3-5k is a very healthy budget when it comes to a modestly sized emerald with ok clarity and good color. I would urge you to stay away from emeralds that look like these. If they're charging you anything close to your budget....RUN!

You could have a gemstone seller source you something crazy beautiful then have something made custom for that price. Since this is such a big and special project I'd urge you to take the time to go custom rather than jumping onto something just because it's an emerald.

In the end you will get something that's truly spectacular and Beautiful.
♥️

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
As others have said: post in colored stones with your budget and any style desires and the suggestions will come flooding in.
There’re many vintage emerald rings in your budget, but quality varies wildly.

Kaycee2018

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Happy Anniversary! I've recently embarked on an emerald hunt myself. I am no expert, but I think both of these would be classified as translucent vs. transparent, which is generally more desirable, and their colors appear to be medium, at best. Some people prefer lighter colored emeralds, but deeper shades (vivid, intense, etc.) are usually more desirable. Have you researched the treatments emeralds are typically subjected to? They are, by nature, included stones and are nearly always treated in some way. Etsy and 1stdibs might have some nice options for you. GL

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
i'm no expert but I've been oogling emeralds on IG. Maybe you would consider getting a beautiful one straight from the source? Sorry to say I am not loving the stones in either of your ring options.

Jr3

Rough_Rock
I wanted to also say... I know NOTHING of emeralds... only like the setting on the first, but when it comes to knowing anything about gems I am a lost cause lol

Rosa

Shiny_Rock
I also know nothing about emeralds but happened to be searching for emerald cuts not that long ago (before I decided I HAD to try to find an Asscher) and saw this online:

Also want to add that I don't live in Boca Raton, where this store is located, but I visited it when we were in Florida several years ago and it was a busy retail spot with a lot of traffic in and out. I think they have been around for a while.

They seem to buy a lot of estate jewelry so they might even have items that are not posted on their website. I had gone in to look at a pendant I'd seen online, and ended up not liking how it looked on me, so didn't buy it, but it was faithfully represented (i.e. it looked just like the website photos...) When I demurred, they seemed ready to negotiate the price, but I couldn't pull the trigger - the pendant was actually too big for my neckline, and I felt like a little kid playing dress-up....

Last edited:
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results