shape
carat
color
clarity

Deciding about a side-grade ... french-cut center

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Great decision!! I am glad you do not have to sacrifice your other major bling ring and that you can sacrifice some smaller items instead.
Beautiful ring. Really unique and beautiful on your hand. I love it :love: :love:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Circe... so beautiful.. unique one of a kind.. FABULOUS!!!!! A must have.... for your beautiful collection!!!

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Looks like a scissor cut radiant but don't know if there were older radiant cuts.

Ashleigh

Brilliant_Rock
A beautiful one for your collection. :appl: Awaiting handshots.

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Thank you all, ladies, for the support and for the advice!

DS, I lurve that one you posted - so cool!

Pyramid, thanks for the info on the scissor cuts!

A whole lot of googling shows me some old mine cushions that have very similar faceting (no wonder it reminded me of an AVC), but I haven't seen any others with sharp corners or straight edges. It remains a mystery!

I called the dealer this morning, and he's holding it for me until I either raise the funds myself, or the yearly bonuses roll around, whichever comes first. So all I'll have to tide me over until then is the series of blurry pics I took in the shop ... bah! My instant-gratification brain is cracking out. :cheeky:

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I GOT IT I GOT IT I GOT IT!

_13357.jpg

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's gorgeous and looks right at home on your finger Circe!!! :love: :love: :love: You should do a proper SMTB thread for this beauty! Congrats!!! :appl:

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yay!!! So happy for you!!!!

Your ring is a truly amazing piece! And great for everyday wear :love: It's a classic.

The cushiony french cut center is amazing. More pics pleassssse

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'm glad you got it! It's beautiful!

braga123

Brilliant_Rock
Wow! We need more details!

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It really does look perfect on your hand! Not everyone could pull this off but you do it beautifully! It really does look like it has no sharp edges so I think you'll get a lot of wear out of it. So cool that you didn't part with your anniversary ring too. Congrats!

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Brilliant, I love it on you. Really suits you.

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Thanks so much to all of you - and, as I should have said when I posted (but failed to because of excitement), photo credit for that shot goes to K_Darling, who's way better at photographing gems than I am. And more specifically ....

junebug17|1388700420|3585056 said:
It's gorgeous and looks right at home on your finger Circe!!! :love: :love: :love: You should do a proper SMTB thread for this beauty! Congrats!!! :appl:

Thank you, Junebug! I most definitely WILL (I think odds are good my husband is in fact going to get very tired of me giggling maniacally and running around the house looking for props), but since the lighting in my house is decidedly meh in the evenings, it'll have to wait until the next sunny day for a proper thread. But I WILL post some quick snaps post-responses .... :naughty:

Acinom said:
Yay!!! So happy for you!!!!

Your ring is a truly amazing piece! And great for everyday wear :love: It's a classic.

The cushiony french cut center is amazing. More pics pleassssse

Acinom, thank you! Given that I admire your french cuts on a regular basis, that is very nice to hear! I'll admit, when I first put it on I felt a little self-conscious (even I!), but that went away FAST. :twisted:

Maisie said:
I'm glad you got it! It's beautiful!

Thanks, Maisie! I'm feeling v. pleased about it myself, right now. :rodent:

braga123 said:
Wow! We need more details!

Hee, happily! I've only got rough deets right now, but I'm planning to get a full appraisal done pronto: the basics are that it's Deco, that the stone is basically a french cut (sometimes also called a mixed cut, as far as I can tell from the great big whole TWO postings of similar cuts I've been able to find ... mixed WHAT, guys?), that it's estimated as a G in color and a VS1 in clarity, and that it weighs approximately a carat and a half but faces up like a three carat. What's not to like? :sun:

P.S. - As I found out once I got home to my beloved blacklight, I also found out it had fluorescence. BLISS!

MissGotRocks said:
It really does look perfect on your hand! Not everyone could pull this off but you do it beautifully! It really does look like it has no sharp edges so I think you'll get a lot of wear out of it. So cool that you didn't part with your anniversary ring too. Congrats!

Thank you, sweetie - I think that's the nicest thing anybody's said to me in ages! It really is surprisingly comfortable: no snagging on gloves or clothes, low-riding so it doesn't bump or catch ... AND it goes with the anniversary ring like they were made to complement one another. It's awesome, and I've been grinning like a loon all evening.

Pyramid said:
Brilliant, I love it on you. Really suits you.

Thank you, Pyramid! It feels very natural. :)

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oooooh Laaaaaalaaaaaa! :love: Wow! Amazing! One of a kind fabulous!

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Unt to get to the important part ... review and pics!

Having worn it since midafternoon, I feel really, really happy with it. After not seeing it for three months while being committed, while I won't say I had full-on cold feet ... I WAS wondering if I'd been a little impulsive. But the second I saw it again, it was like, "Ahhhhhhhhhhhh ...." - just pure delight. (There was a mini-GTG with another couple of lovely PS'rs right after, and I'm pretty sure that despite the sterling company I might have zoned out like a class-A ditz once or twice, distracted by the shiny.) It's a ginormous french cut. It has that cool effect lots of people have noted before about big facets exaggerating performance. And while I can see the shallowness in person when I focus on it, overall, I actually like that: I've always loved high-contrast stones, and this is well cut enough that it's got that on-off effect that big facets will generally provide. FIIIIIIIIIIIRRRRRRRRREEEEEEE.

But, enough talk - lemme throw up a few quick pics to illustrate!

P.S. - Crosspost, Mayk ... thank you! Yeah, the sheer unusualness of it has me grinning from ear to ear, I'll admit. :bigsmile:

close-up_front_view.jpg

close-up_handshot.jpg

distance_handshot.jpg

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
Congrats!!! It is such an unique diamond - I am so happy for you. Looks great on your hand.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congrats, I love it!!!! I thought it was very cool the first time you linked it so I am glad you went back and got it!!!! The finger coverage is AMAZING - It's kind of a French Cut/Emerald/Cushion hybrid. I purchased a just over 1 carat antique French Cut a while ago but mine is tiny by comparison because it's got a much smaller table big high crown and is super deep.

staci76

Brilliant_Rock
Wow, this ring is truly stunning Circe! :love: It looks absolutely gorgeous paired with your diamond band too! :love: :love: I can't wait to see more pictures... :naughty: Congrats! :appl:

SparklyOEC

Brilliant_Rock
Wow! Congrats...it's amazing!

misskittycat

Brilliant_Rock
Heaven. Just heaven. I love the chunkiness of the facet pattern and the symmetry of the double halo. Beautiful.

gregchang35

Ideal_Rock
Lovely, lovely, lovely...

Yummy!

SB621

Ideal_Rock
Circe if you sell that ruby ring then you just message me! That is my ring that got awa and I will take it in a heart beat!!!!

So yes buy this ring so I can buy your ruby ring....being totally serious!!!!!

oh duh!! I'm entereing this so late! Congratulations on the ring!!! It is stunning and I love it!!! So beautiful!

joolsiepetunia

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Circe this is amazing!!! This definitely needs it's own thread on SMTB!!!!!!! I'd love to see more photos! It's so gorgeous!

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
CharmyPoo|1388719364|3585277 said:
Congrats!!! It is such an unique diamond - I am so happy for you. Looks great on your hand.

Thanks, Charmy! I really love the unusual ones. (Like yours, for that matter.) :wavey:

arkieb1 said:
Congrats, I love it!!!! I thought it was very cool the first time you linked it so I am glad you went back and got it!!!! The finger coverage is AMAZING - It's kind of a French Cut/Emerald/Cushion hybrid. I purchased a just over 1 carat antique French Cut a while ago but mine is tiny by comparison because it's got a much smaller table big high crown and is super deep.

Thanks, Arkie! I think our conversation over in Antiques also had me feeling a little paranoia ... if repros these days are commonly featuring shallow cuts, what if I'd missed some telltale sign! So I felt much better to get it back in my hot little hands to check it thoroughly. (And when two of the vintage dealers we saw during the GTG on 47th yesterday both got big round eyes and asked me if I could take it off so they could check it out - I figure if anybody sees all the repros, it's those guys). I would LOVE to see your french cut - have you posted any pics? I'm off to raid your backthreads with the enthusiasm of a Viking ....

staci76 said:
Wow, this ring is truly stunning Circe! :love: It looks absolutely gorgeous paired with your diamond band too! :love: :love: I can't wait to see more pictures... :naughty: Congrats! :appl:

Staci, thank you! I 'm giving myself a day off stacking just to enjoy it in all its lonesome glory, but I think odds are very good I'll be wearing it that way a lot!

SparklyOEC said:
Wow! Congrats...it's amazing!

Thank you Sparkly!

misskittycat said:
Heaven. Just heaven. I love the chunkiness of the facet pattern and the symmetry of the double halo. Beautiful.

Thanks, MissKittyCat! Those are the things that got me, too. The funny thing is, I've never been attracted to halos in the abstract - target rings, yes, but, white pave, no. But here, I love it - it defines the centerstone, but it still draws the eye out. I'm a convert!

gregchang35 said:
Lovely, lovely, lovely...

Yummy!

Thanks, Greg! It's been a GOOD start to the year. :bigsmile:

SB621 said:
Circe if you sell that ruby ring then you just message me! That is my ring that got awa and I will take it in a heart beat!!!!

So yes buy this ring so I can buy your ruby ring....being totally serious!!!!!

oh duh!! I'm entereing this so late! Congratulations on the ring!!! It is stunning and I love it!!! So beautiful!

SB, I think that's the most sincere compliment one jewelry addict can pay another. (And I know what you mean ... when I saw that Susimoo had bought Demelza's beauteous three-stone, my first thought was "Yay, congratulations!" and my second thought was "... dang, wish I'd known it was up!" Which is spoken in the sincerest tone of appreciation and happiness for both, of course ... it's just that some one-of-a-kind pieces just stay with ya.) So I will keep you in mind if I ever want to rehome it! AND appreciate the compliment on the new one! AND post a shot of the two together ... they're weirdly complimentary. :love:

joolsiepetunia said:
Circe this is amazing!!! This definitely needs it's own thread on SMTB!!!!!!! I'd love to see more photos! It's so gorgeous!

Thank you, JP! I very much want to have a SMTB thread - figures today's a snowstorm in NY!

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
:love: those new pics :love: I needed to come back and stalk this thread :love:

I just can't believe how beautiful and special this piece is. This is a ring to turn heads!! And a ring to get distracted all the time :naughty:
Every single detail about this ring is so stunning: the remarkable center stone is a true eyecatcher and it combines so well with the delicate double halo and thin and elegant band!!! This is what true craftmanship and artistry is. And - while it has an art deco feel - it is very NOW and modern as well. So happy that you have such a classic and timeless signature ring.

And thank you so much for your kind words about my ring :wavey:

gemmyblond

Shiny_Rock
Wow - just saw this - congrats on a stunning, unique find that looks terrific on you -- way to start off the new year! And of course, it looks wonderful w your sapphire bracelet. Wear both with much happiness!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results