shape
carat
color
clarity

Decided on Setting, Need Help With Diamond (first time)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

USC2006

Rough_Rock
I just found this site today and I must say that I have already learned more about diamonds and engagement rings than I ever thought I''d ever know
25.gif
. I have spent hours reading through the tutorial and soaking in as much of the information as I can from the forums. Pricescope has been an invaluable resource thus far and one that I hope I can rely on for just a little more help. I have already narrowed the setting down to two pretty similar styles, one in platinum ($875) and one in white gold ($600), both from James Allen:

Platinum 4 Prong and 18k Gold 4 Prong.

The only thing left that I need help on would be selecting the perfect stone to complement the setting. I would like to stay within a $3k budget including the setting and the ring, though preferably somewhere in the $2.8k range. My GF has stated that for a better diamond, she would be willing to go with the cheaper setting. With that in mind, would I be better off getting the diamond and the setting from James Allen given the Pricescope discount that JA has on diamonds, or would it be just as cheap to source the diamond from another source? More importantly, can you please help me maximize the rest of my budget by helping me select the best brilliant round or princess cut diamond to pair with the settings I have chosen above? I have a vague idea of what to look for, but would like the expertise of those of you here to help assure I am getting the most value for my money since when it comes down to analyzing a diamond I must admit I am rather clueless. I am looking for a diamond with the following characteristics: Ideal Cut BR or Princess, Color G-I (she has told me that she can barely tell see the difference with an I rated diamond), and eye clean S1 the lowest clarity. I want a diamond that has fire and sparkle to spare and one that is cut well, with the cut quality of the diamond being the most important factor for me. I am looking forward to your suggestions, and thanks in advance for the help!

- Nervous first time buyer
33.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

USC2006

Rough_Rock
Thanks so far for everyone''s suggestions. Based on my budget I was expecting stones in the .65-.75 range so I wasn''t expecting anything bigger. Any suggestions for princess cut diamonds? I am still not sure whether to go with the BR or princess.

Also, what is the difference between a Hearts & Arrow as compared to some of the other ideal cut BR''s in terms of the sparkle and shine? Is the difference noticeable with H&A being a lot sparklier (if that is even a word) than your typical ideal cut BR? The reason being is I can get a slightly larger stone if I go with the ideal cut BR''s, but at the sizes I am looking at the size difference won''t be that apparent, so I would rather spend around the same amount to get a slightly smaller H&A if the performance of the diamond will be a lot better.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/17/2009 10:55:00 AM
Author: USC2006
Thanks so far for everyone's suggestions. Based on my budget I was expecting stones in the .65-.75 range so I wasn't expecting anything bigger. Any suggestions for princess cut diamonds? I am still not sure whether to go with the BR or princess.

Also, what is the difference between a Hearts & Arrow as compared to some of the other ideal cut BR's in terms of the sparkle and shine? Is the difference noticeable with H&A being a lot sparklier (if that is even a word) than your typical ideal cut BR? The reason being is I can get a slightly larger stone if I go with the ideal cut BR's, but at the sizes I am looking at the size difference won't be that apparent, so I would rather spend around the same amount to get a slightly smaller H&A if the performance of the diamond will be a lot better.
It can be more challenging to find a well cut Princess than rounds, we can certainly take a look for you but I believe a round is the best choice if you are unsure.

There might not be much of a difference between a well cut h&a or a well cut non h&a diamond, the proportions are the important thing which drive the light return, also you can find some so called h&a diamonds which may show arrows and hearts but are not actually well cut. So unless you particularly want a h&a rock, I would look at just well cut diamonds that should fit the bill. Arrows and hearts aren't responsible for beauty and performance as such, the proportions are the bricks and mortar which drive light return, h&a are a coat of paint so to speak - and to quote a renowned expert!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results