shape
carat
color
clarity

Decent round brilliant for the price?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

toucansam

Rough_Rock
First, let me say that I''ve learned more by lurking and reading here at Pricescope in 2 weeks than I ever knew before. I was hoping to solicit advice as to a specific stone that the folks at Blue Nile were recommending for my price range:

Price: $2,377
From GIA grading report:
Carat weight: 0.71
Clarity: VS1
Color: I
Symmetry: Excellent
Polish: Very good
Girdle: Medium, faceted
Diameter: 5.75 mm

The diamond scores a 1.4 on the Holloway calculator, with light return and fire both rated as excellent and scintillation and spread both rated as very good.

The Sarin report dimensions are as follows:

Pavilion angle: 41.0
Crown angle: 34.0
Depth %: 61.7
Pavilion depth: 43.1
Table %: 56.6
Culet: 0.2

Of course, I''d be returning it to Blue Nile if it does not look good or if it does not appraise well.

Thank you in advance for your opinion.

ClownFishFunk

Shiny_Rock
Hey there, can't tell you too much about the exact specs of the stone, as I don't feel knowledgeable enough quite yet on that subject, however you might want to look around a bit more on pricescope for a stone because it seems to me bluenile is a bit pricier in general, but probably only by a couple hundred dollars (not sure how much this sort of price difference matters to you). There were a lot of .7 carat stones listed for under $2000, so you might want to give that a look. But otherwise if you are happy with purchasing at blue nile then congrats at what looks like a pretty stone.
1.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
As you will see from my attached picture, you can shop around a little bit more if you feel necessary. The BN stone seems nice from the #'s but there are other almost ideal stones like this BN one that are in the same size, but give you better color for the same money. I would drop that VS clarity on an I color and do something more like F or G SI. As long as it's eye clean, no one knows anything about clarity, but they DO see color. I would never want to overpay for an I VS if I had other options.

These other stones are going to be cut at least as well as the BN stone if not look better, and all have similarly great HCA scores. The first 5-7 or so are the ones in your range. Just food for thought before you take the plunge. BN is a good company but there are other ones out there as well that offer up stones that are just as nice or nicer, with the same great customer service and quality attached to them, and sometimes cheaper prices.

Whatever you choose, good luck. The BN stone looks nice from #'s...but that I VS bothers me in terms of what you are paying for.
1.gif

bn.jpeg.JPG

toucansam

Rough_Rock
Thank you very much for the comprehensive input! I knew it was a good idea to ask here first! Thanks again -- I will reconsider the "I" color as against maybe dropping down on the "VS1" clarity (in other words, look at getting a higher color grade in exchange for a little less clarity).

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
That is what I would do personally...those F SI's looked intriguing and there is even an H VS for less than the I VS BN stone!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results