clarity

DeBeers visit. Colour D to an I

k3wt

Rough_Rock
So I went to a DeBeers store recently and looked at two diamonds:

D internally flawless
I si2

Both are just over 2ct

In a test I could not pick out which was the D! This was in store conditions and even with a card covering the two stones to take the edge off the artifical lights.

Having done so much online research I tried to stay away from anything below G, but after seeing these in store I was gobsmacked when I picked out the wrong one, which I thought was a D. In hindsight, after looking at the two for a more prolonged period side by side there is a slight yellow tinge to the I coloured stone.

Is the difference really that slight or would I have been able to tell in more natural daylight? Grade D to and I is 5 grade levels different!

image_567.jpg

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Did you look at the stones from the side? I think that might be where you would see the tint - not so much in the face up position.

k3wt

Rough_Rock
I did, after a while I did distinguish the two in comparison from the side. It was ever so slight though! Is that normal?! Could it have been that I needed to be in natural daylight rather than shielding the store lights with a card. Even so, the I coloured one looked great. Maybe I've become a grading certificate snob?

Unfortunately I didn't take a photo from the side.

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is why I do not spend any extra money for H color or above. :dance:

So there are so many beatiful diamonds in the lower color range. At least to my eyes.

I have a J and personally find incandescent lighting makes any yellow tint more noticeable. A tint is not hugely noticeable under natural day light.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Color and or clarity sensitivity lie in the eyes of the beholder. If one or both don't bother you, then you're in luck!

I think you might have seen a color difference in natural daylight but I think the more important fact is that it doesn't seem to trouble you. You will save thousands of dollars on diamonds and that is a wonderful thing!!!

rocks

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Missgotrocks got it right. It's personal. For me, g color screams yellow; I am very sensitive. As for clarity, you may have been looking at a lucky si2. If so, they can be a great value.

You need to figure out what will make you happy and go with it.

susief

Shiny_Rock
I am the same, which is why I buy Js :cheeky: I can only assume I'm not very colour sensitive.

newjourney

Rough_Rock
MissGotRocks|1459004074|4011322 said:
Color and or clarity sensitivity lie in the eyes of the beholder. If one or both don't bother you, then you're in luck!

+1.

Everyone has difference color tolerance when viewing at different angles. I-J color may face up white, but In reality no one really looks at their diamond rings directly in that position to admire its whiteness. It's more the case that one would view the beauty of a diamond at a side angle as the ring is worn on the finger. For me, this is a more appropriate position to select color. I think color grading overall is a bit arbitrary to many folks. Rather, see what you feel/perceive as white and use that color grade as your go to threshold.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results