shape
carat
color
clarity

DeBeers Forevermark?

clearfading

Shiny_Rock
I am not familiar with DeBeers forever mark If something is a Forevermark diamond what does that mean? Does this mean they don't come with GIA certificate? When I asked if it had GIA I was told it is a DeBeers Forevermark. Is this as reliable (less or more) as coming with a GIA cert? Does this affect the pricing of a stone as well? Thanks for input!

clearfading

Shiny_Rock
Jeweler says getting it GIA certed is an extra $400

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What size is the stone?

Grading charges are relative to carat weight IIRC.

clearfading

Shiny_Rock
3.5...should be $265 for a cert. I have told them that at that size and price it's just too risky to consider it without a GIA. Hopefully they will go ahead and get a cert in their own interest.

John P

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I am not familiar with DeBeers forever mark If something is a Forevermark diamond what does that mean? Does this mean they don't come with GIA certificate? When I asked if it had GIA I was told it is a DeBeers Forevermark. Is this as reliable (less or more) as coming with a GIA cert? Thanks for input!
Context may help here.

This is a DeBeers initiative. You may recall that DeBeers' controlled rough diamond supply for a long time. That monopoly ended decades ago and since that time they've increasingly focused on the demand side of the diamond business. It started with a series of television commercials in the 1990s. More recently DeBeers began opening their own stores. Last year they started selling laboratory-grown diamonds to consumers via Lightbox.

Forevermark is another DeBeers program focused on demand, in partnership with established jewelry retailers. The program emphasizes sourcing, sorting and identification. The sourcing involves focus on countries where indigenous people benefit from the rough diamond trade. The sorting involves rejection of a high volume of starting material due to underlying issues with transparency, tint, haze (etc.). The identification proposition is an inscription uniquely placed on the diamond's table, only visible using a special viewer.

In terms of grading, DeBeers considers themselves more experienced with diamonds than GIA (and they have a strong argument) so they produce their own report.

Does this affect the pricing of a stone as well?
Yes. Any time there's additional effort in classifying, scrutinizing, processing (etc.) there's additional cost involved for the producer. How much the stated propositions are worth to the end-user is up to each individual.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results