shape
carat
color
clarity

Debating Elsa Peretti Diamonds by the Yard necklace--help!

adenosine3phosphate

Rough_Rock
Hello, first-time poster, here!
I've been a lurker for a bit, and have learned so much about diamonds and fine jewelry from the multiple experts on this forum, and from their detailed advice. For that I am so thankful! And for this reason, I would also like to petition you all for your guidance...

I fell in love with the Tiffany & Co Elsa Peretti Diamonds by the Yard necklace--the short 16'' chain with a single pendant bezel-set diamond. I love how minimalistic and delicate it looks with a diminutive diamond, likely around the 0.03-0.1 carat range. It would be so easy to wear every day, and to layer if I wanted a more fancy/substantial look.

As a special present from my husband that I will wear frequently, I tend to mentally prefer knowing it is "fine" jewelry, from a reputable brand, but for such a small diamond, is it truly worth the price tag? And how upscale should I go?

There are so many affordable options on Etsy for less than $200, and although I know some of the sellers there are true artisans, for me the website has the connotation of a "arts and crafts" marketplace. I also don't know how much I can trust the quality, but again--how much would it matter for such a tiny diamond? I'd be interested to know what your opinions are, and if anyone has had a good experience with an Etsy seller for gold/diamond jewelry.

On the other hand, I could also go with a similarly designed bezel necklace from the highly recommended Whiteflash, the setting of which alone is about $475 without the diamond (how much do you think an 0.03 diamond cost?)... or I could go with a pre-loved piece from a re-seller (I found several Tiffany & Co Elsa Peretti DBTY necklaces from Fashionphile and other online consignment shops that go for approximately $450-600). Or do you think it's worth it to get that special Tiffany Blue box under the tree, especially for such a meaningful gift (~$625)? If you can think of another option as well, I'd love to hear your suggestions!

Our budget for Christmas gifts is usually around the $200-300 range, but my birthday is in February, so if we were to go with a necklace outside that amount, I would make it a "combined" Christmas/V-day/B-day gift.

448e0dd67d8db31302165c9d4ce690cc.jpg

^^^^ 0.03 carat Pre-loved Tiffany/Elsa Peretti DBTY from Fashionphile, ~$400

il_794xN.1673521153_18wj.jpg

^^^^ Etsy 0.03 carat, $122

Verismo-Diamond-Pendant_gi_7705_w-57206.jpg

^^^ WhiteFlash, $460 wire price, but without diamond

What do you think? :)

meely

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I don’t think I could buy one at full price from Tiffany knowing I could purchase exactly the same necklace for $400.

hypermom

Shiny_Rock
If you aren’t opposed to this idea, you could post in the preloved section of this forum that you were looking to buy a diamonds by the yard pendant with the specs you are looking for (ie with diamond/melee from a super ideal vendor.). You would save some money buying this way.

I think that buying the pendant from Whiteflash or another top vendor (high performance diamonds, Brian Gavin, Victor Canera) is the best option. Even in a small diamond the performance I think will exceed Tiffany.

I have stacking rings with really small diamonds from a super ideal vendor and my tiny diamonds sparkle like crazy!

adenosine3phosphate

Rough_Rock
If you aren’t opposed to this idea, you could post in the preloved section of this forum that you were looking to buy a diamonds by the yard pendant with the specs you are looking for (ie with diamond/melee from a super ideal vendor.). You would save some money buying this way.

I think that buying the pendant from Whiteflash or another top vendor (high performance diamonds, Brian Gavin, Victor Canera) is the best option. Even in a small diamond the performance I think will exceed Tiffany.

I have stacking rings with really small diamonds from a super ideal vendor and my tiny diamonds sparkle like crazy!

Thank you for your suggestions!

I looked at the Brian Gavin site, and they had a great option for a diamond bezel-set pendant, where the setting protected the culet. I've heard that other users on Pricescope with DBTY necklaces say that the culet scratches them, so I was very appreciative to find that setting on BG. However, the website said that they don't make those necklaces for diamonds smaller than 0.433mm diameter! :(

I'll post this on the pre-loved forum, though. Hopefully I can find a good deal!

hypermom

Shiny_Rock
Fingers crossed for you! It’s a classic piece so I think there should be people who have it. And I do think that necklace works better with smaller diamonds.

Rose-gold-or-bust

Shiny_Rock
Thank you for your suggestions!

I looked at the Brian Gavin site, and they had a great option for a diamond bezel-set pendant, where the setting protected the culet. I've heard that other users on Pricescope with DBTY necklaces say that the culet scratches them, so I was very appreciative to find that setting on BG. However, the website said that they don't make those necklaces for diamonds smaller than 0.433mm diameter! :(

I'll post this on the pre-loved forum, though. Hopefully I can find a good deal!

Do you carats or mm? .433mm is tiny tiny

adenosine3phosphate

Rough_Rock
Oops I'm sorry! They said 4.30mm on their website, which is almost half a centimeter!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results