shape
carat
color
clarity

Debating Between Two

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Boxer and welcome!

I would definitely pass on the second one, it is facing up very small for the weight judging from the diameter. The first looks to be a bit small for the weight too, not as bad as the second one though. However with the first we really need the crown and pavilion percents to know more and the grading report isn''t loaded.

If you like, tell us what your budget is and what you are looking for, carat, colour and clarity etc, and maybe we could suggest some diamonds that might suit you?

boxer99

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the info. I''d like to go with a round about 1.5 @ $3500-4000.

I didn''t notice until just after I posted that the second one has a very thick girdle...that would reduce the diameter, correct?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Okay, your budget is not in line with getting a well cut 1.5 ct. stone. With EGL, the color is possibly 1-2 grades lower than stated since EGL is sometimes softer in grading than GIA and AGS. So I wouldn''t consider lower than maybe H color in EGL stones, maybe I. Also you want excellent cut for the stone to have the best light performance. You''ll probably need to stick with closer to one carat to get a nice stone within your budget.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A 1.5 ct. stone should measure around 7.4mm in diameter and a 1.0 ct. stone is about 6.5mm, just for reference.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/14/2009 1:58:50 PM
Author: boxer99
Thanks for the info. I'd like to go with a round about 1.5 @ $3500-4000.

I didn't notice until just after I posted that the second one has a very thick girdle...that would reduce the diameter, correct?
Yes it can do, and there are other factors which could be responsible also. I don't think you will be able to find a well cut 1.5 for that budget regrettably as DS says, is it essential you try to get this size? If so then we might have to stick with EGL graded diamonds to get you as much size as possible but we will have to work to find the best cut and most promising ones. If this size isn't essential then I would suggest a smaller weight with an excellent cut, GIA or AGS graded and I or J colour and eyeclean SI clarity to get as much bang for the buck as possible.

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
1ct J SI1

Here is something in your budget if you decide to go down in size and up in cut.

boxer99

Rough_Rock
Well, let me ask your opinion of this. Since I can''t really ask my girlfriend whether she''d rather have size as opposed to cut, what would you all suggest? If I could get a killer GIA 1.0 or 1.25 instead of a marginal EGL 1.5, would the size difference most likely be offset by the increase in quality? I want quality, but I also don''t want her to be embarrassed by wearing a small stone.

Excuse my ignorance, but I''m new to this...can I be more confident in GIA grading than EGL? For example, a GIA I or J would be more true to an I or J than an EGL, correct?

I''ve been looking at some 1.0-1.25 GIAs on Union Diamond and have seen some decent ones within my price range.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/15/2009 2:19:29 PM
Well, let me ask your opinion of this. Since I can't really ask my girlfriend whether she'd rather have size as opposed to cut, what would you all suggest? If I could get a killer GIA 1.0 or 1.25 instead of a marginal EGL 1.5, would the size difference most likely be offset by the increase in quality? I want quality, but I also don't want her to be embarrassed by wearing a small stone.

Excuse my ignorance, but I'm new to this...can I be more confident in GIA grading than EGL? For example, a GIA I or J would be more true to an I or J than an EGL, correct?

I've been looking at some 1.0-1.25 GIAs on Union Diamond and have seen some decent ones within my price range.
Personally I would much rather have a smaller well cut diamond than a large not so well cut rock which doesn't sparkle or do much. A badly cut rock can sometimes look small for the weight anyway whereas a well cut diamond can look large for the weight due to edge to edge light return - the light is hitting the edges of the diamond all the way round which maximises the appearance of the face up size. What I would suggest is to look at well cut GIA or AGS diamonds and go with a vendor who has an upgrade policy if you think your lady might like a larger diamond eventually - that way when finances permit you could get her a larger rock if you wished. Also a carat is an excellent size and is in no way small.

GIA and AGS are the two top tier labs, this page explains how the grading labs rank.

http://diamonds.pricescope.com/grading.asp

coatimundi_org

Ideal_Rock
Ditto Lorelei! A well cut stone will leap at you from across a room--that beats size hands down, and if you can potentially upgrade later, even better.
31.gif
(just another option)

A good setting can also maximize the size of any stone, so that may help if you are going for a sizeable look.

boxer99

Rough_Rock
Thanks Lorelei. You're a lifesaver.

I am definitely dropping the 1.5 idea and moving to the 1.0-1.25 range. I will post some of what I find and pick your brain about them.

Just some more information...I'm definitely (without a doubt) going with the Tiffany knife-cut 6-prong platinum solitaire. Just in case that helps with any advice you might have. Thanks.

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
It looks like you have already got some great advice, but I wouldn''t get either. As DS pointed out EGL is known to be a bit soft you may be getting a stone that is 1-2 grades off in color or clarity. I would focus on getting a stone that is well cut, because this is really what makes a diamond stand out and sparkle. Read the cut tutorials here and learn about the HCA.

boxer99

Rough_Rock
Thanks. I think deep down I already knew those two original stones were not the way to go and I just needed confirmation from more knowledgeable people than me.

I''ll have some new choices in a little bit. I''m scouring the sites now.

This diamond is starting to consume me:)

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/15/2009 2:35:56 PM
Thanks Lorelei. You''re a lifesaver.

I am definitely dropping the 1.5 idea and moving to the 1.0-1.25 range. I will post some of what I find and pick your brain about them.

Just some more information...I''m definitely (without a doubt) going with the Tiffany knife-cut 6-prong platinum solitaire. Just in case that helps with any advice you might have. Thanks.
Very glad to help! Keep us posted and we will help in any way we can!
35.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
See if you can get Idealscope images for the second and third UD diamonds.

boxer99

Rough_Rock
Unfortunately, UD doesn't have Idealscopes.

I do like both of those that you mentioned, Lorelei. I have a jeweler friend who thinks I should stay away from the J's though, as they might be too yellow.

What do you think about the fluorescence in both? It's listed as strong blue. Does that enhance or detract?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results