shape
carat
color
clarity

De Beers inscription on the table

Rno

Rough_Rock
I just purchased a small diamond. Its GIA report mentioned an additional inscription from De Beers, and I was thrilled to find it on the table. It reads

DE BEERS
DxxC xxxx (x being numbers)
(It does not display the Forevermark emblem and it is extremely tiny, can only be seen at certain angles with just the right amount of light reflecting around it. "De Beers" can be identified, but not the numbers, they are too small for what I have available for viewing).

My questions:

Why is it marked, and can this inscription help identify the original source/mine/cutter?

The stone was not bought from De Beers but sourced online.

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
It was marked because someone thought they could charge extra for it if that was there. In a lot of cases they did. :naughty: Apparently your seller didn't. =) There was something of a push for these in 2000 because of the mellinium celebrations but I don't think it was really all that effective a promotion.

No, it doesn't give you any useful information about the history of the stone.

Rno

Rough_Rock
Oh, I see. Just a marketing idea. So, every diamond sold through De Beers gets that kind of an inscription?

BTW, the GIA dossier is dated September 2010.

Thanks for the info, denverappraiser.

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
No, not every stone marketted by deBeers has that. Actually rather few do. Yes, it's a marketing thing.

Rno

Rough_Rock
It looks like I'm fishing for compliments (I am :naughty: ), but what was/is determining which stone got the inscription and which not?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results