shape
carat
color
clarity

DCD, Martin Fuller I - purchase decision; thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
Many thanks to the people, experts, and authors of this forum. You have helped me with the purchase of a replacement engagement ring for my wife, who -- after 14 years -- found the diamond suddenly missing. I had earlier hoped to add to or upgrade it somehow, since I had learned that the original diamond did have a thick girdle, and I suspected I hadn''t optimized on a well cut diamond as sufficiently as I would have liked. So now, I had the opportunity to turn lemons into lemonade. In short order, putting something like: "ideal cut diamond Washington DC," into Google, I found Pricescope, and a method for replacing my wife''s ring with some efficiency. Also, Pricescope offered some tools to gain control of the process. These included: the HCA model, and also, a list of vendors, with one local to me (Dirt Cheap Diamonds), and an appraiser listed by both DCD & Pricescope (Martin Fuller in VA).

After really only a couple of days of looking at DCD''s website, I found a diamond that I asked Jim to call up, and this did turn out to be the one I selected. For your interest, appropriate validation, and any comments to share, I''ll review it''s stats here. Frankly, I hadn''t determined yet whether I''d wait longer to make a selection, review conscionable budget (we had decided to let the insurance policy lapse on the original ring after only several years...a mistake...so we had self insured), or other factors, but -- when this diamond came along, I did ask Jim to put it on hold:

.9 carats
Color: G
Clarity Grade: VS2
GIA cert, laser inscripted
measurements: 6.15 - 6.18 x 3.82 mm
Proportions:
Depth 62%
Table: 55%
Girdle: medium to slightly thick, faceted
Culet: none (or, .7 v. small)
Crown: 35.8'' 16%
Pavil: 40.1'' 42%
Finish: Polish - Excellent
Symmetry: Very Good
Fluorescence: none
Characteristics: Crystal, Feather, Cloud
Comments: none
Round: AGS 2
Cost: $33xx

With the above plugged into the HCA evaluator, comments yield:

.9 for Total Visual Performance, within FIC range
Light Return: Excellent
Fire: Excellent
Scintillation: Excellent
Spread: Very Good

And, to top it off, Etta, the appraiser who was kind enough to work with me at Martin Fuller''s appraiser''s office, allowed me to include the output of the HCA report in the documented appraisal itself.

I intend to have a couple of follow up posts: one regarding databases, for any techies who may help me understand them, and also process, regarding lessons learned, such as they are:

Meanwhile, thanks again. I think my wife likes my diamond (she reports interrupting a meeting with its light reflecting during a presentation, and knowing it was her when the presenter apologized causing her to move her hand to correct the problem), and I suppose that''s the main point. However, it''s a big world, maybe I missed something, and I can always upgrade. What do you think?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sounds like you bought a winner and a stunner.
appl.gif
And a FIC to boot (I prefer FICs over TICs and BICs, and there are harder to find too. Congratulations. I would recommend getting your diamond insured; it will be better in the long run to cover the loss if it got lost or damaged.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Congrates, it sounds like a kickin diamond :}

hoorray

Ideal_Rock
Congratulations on a great find Ira! It sounds like a great find -- FICs are harder to find than TIC's.

Giangi

Ideal_Rock
Should be exploding with marvelous colors! Congrats!
love.gif

Patty

Ideal_Rock
"For your interest, appropriate validation, and any comments to share, I'll review it's stats here."

Ira, I'm interested, I validate your choice, and I LOVE the way you write!
2.gif

It sounds like a beautiful diamond. Be sure to post pictures!

quaeritur

Brilliant_Rock
Ooooohhhhhh!!! an FIC!!! I must apologize, I'm insanely envious of your wife right now. Please, please post pictures, it sounds so awesome. LOVE the #s, LOVE that it's an FIC, great color and clarity. What a winner!
appl.gif

Hmmmm.... I wonder if I might just "lose" the diamond in my ring...
11.gif

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
Thanks all for your positive feedback. Regarding insurance, Chrono, I didn't leave the appraiser without first faxing over the appraisal to the insurer for my homeowner's policy, Nationwide (ostensibly, causing me to be insured immediately upon leaving). In earlier research, I found Chubb to be both overly expensive, and also, simply unavailable (i.e., their designated rep said no). I did determine State Farm was an option (as was...was it, Jeweler's Mutual) and at the best price of all 3 available options.....But, in the end, both because I would uniquely be able to leave the office with the ring insured, and also, having been reminded that payments, following the first year, would all be routinely routed along with my mortgage payments (I can be so bad at relating to things like premium paperwork, whereas I have my bank autopay my mortgage), I decided to pay -- at least for now, the modest premium on Nationwide ($1.25 per $100).

pepekale

Rough_Rock
i guess you chose not to answer my question.thank you nicholas

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
Dear Nicholas,

I have to think you've confused me with someone else, since you recently posted:

"i guess you chose not to answer my question.thank you nicholas....,"

and I don't know about any question. But you could try again!

Best,

Patty

Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 7/9/2004 6:50:29 PM Regular Guy wrote:

Dear Nicholas,

I have to think you've confused me with someone else, since you recently posted:

'i guess you chose not to answer my question.thank you nicholas....,'

and I don't know about any question. But you could try again!

Best,----------------

Right. And if Nicholas asked a question, why is he shown as having a total of just one post? Very confusing...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results