shape
carat
color
clarity

DC Area Diamond/Gem Class

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Gemklctr

Shiny_Rock
With Leonid''s permission, I want to make DC-area Pricescopers aware of the upcoming class on "Everything You Need To Know About Fine Jewelry" at the Annandale campus of Northern Virginia Community College. It is an adult-ed course that consists of 3 2-hour sessions covering metals (gold, silver, platinum, etc.), diamonds and colored gems. While parts of the course may seem basic to some of the more knowledgeable posters here, most should find it informative and likely will enjoy the opportunity to do some simple gem grading, testing etc. The course is taught by a local Senior Appraiser and diamond vendor who is an old friend of mine. I help out by bringing in parts of my gem collection to exhibit to the students (see https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/part-of-my-collection.32274/).

The course will be held on Thursday evenings from 7:30-9:30 on October 13, 20, and 27th. The cost (payable to NoVa CC) is $65.00. If you are interested, please PM me with your e-mail address and I will forward you a copy of the course description and registration form. (I will not give out your e-mail address to NoVa CC, the instructor, or anyone else.) The NoVa CC campus is just outside the Beltway on Little River Turnpike (Route 236). Hope to see some of the DC-area PS crew there!

Capitol Bill

Shiny_Rock
GK,
Oops! It looks like we''ve got dueling events! I wish I would have known the date your class begins because I''ve already booked Al Gilbertson from the GIA Cut Research Team for the same evening. He''ll be giving a comprehensive review of GIA''s soon-to-be-introduced cut grading system for all who want to attend. This special event of the DC GIA Alumni Association is free to all members and guests. All the details are located at our website -- www.dcgia.org

On the bright side, it appears that DC area P''Scopers have an enviable dilemma. Whichever event they decide to attend, they will benefit from increased knowledge.
Bill Scherlag

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
Though details of family life may keep me from both, I wonder if the web site for the GIA presentation isn''t updated, or if the disconnect is non apparent. According to the GIA DC site, Tuesday September 13 is your presentation, Bill, and GK''s program at NOVA is in October.

Can you help clarify? GK, can you pm me details on your partner?

Regards,

Capitol Bill

Shiny_Rock
RG,
Doh! Thanks for catching that one! There''s a big difference between Sept 13 and Oct 13! Must be that I''m not operating on a good night''s sleep -- the baby was up quite a bit last night. DC area P''Scopers can now opt for attending both!
Regards,
Bill

Gemklctr

Shiny_Rock
Date: 9/5/2005 5:40:27 PM
Author: Capitol Bill
RG,
Doh! Thanks for catching that one! There''s a big difference between Sept 13 and Oct 13! Must be that I''m not operating on a good night''s sleep -- the baby was up quite a bit last night. DC area P''Scopers can now opt for attending both!
Regards,
Bill
Bill,
Let me know if you want the class info. I can''t make it on Sept. 13, but would be very interested in attending some of the GIA meetings in the future if you can arrange it.

Gemklctr

Shiny_Rock
Bump for those who weren''t around on the long weekend.

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
you east coasters get all the cool stuff!

hope you guys have a great time at both functions!
36.gif

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
belle,
You just gotta move here girl.
3.gif

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
hehehehe.....yeah, but i can''t leave my clean air, clear blue skies and famed moonstone deposits
2.gif

i''ll just visit you often
9.gif

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/5/2005 5:40:27 PM
Author: Capitol Bill
RG,
Regards,
Bill
Were it not for baby''s and such, who should have a care for diamonds! Nevertheless, the combination of my wife being out of town and children''s homework in my family will keep me from your 9/13 meeting, but...

Attending to this thread...certainly your having the person of Mr. Gilbertson come should provide a fine opportunity to raise some questions about the splaining you professionals may be posed with concerning the meaning of excellent, circa January 2006.

Could anyone be available to report back?

Something tells me the atmosphere you guys maintain is not exactly what you find in the British House of Parliament (i.e., I''ll bet you''re not rowdy in the least)...but...unless the questions Garry has raised recently about the desire to get at the rationales for the ranges that have come to be ascribed to excellent under the GIA flag are for naught...I''m guessing there could be some splaining to do.

Regards,

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results